Notary Rotary
No Experience and New
Notary Discussion History

No Experience and New
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by Emma J Bland on 7/30/13 6:48am
Msg #478470

No Experience and New

I reside in the Woodbridge, VA area. I would like to know is there a Certified Loan Agent in my area that would let me shadow them on a signing, so I can see how it is done correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply by BobbiCT on 7/30/13 7:26am
Msg #478475

Wish you luck BUT "guest of NSA at signing"

Not be read like a naysayer, however, bear in mind there are PRIVACY issues with a Signing Agent taking you along. Permission from the borrowers, lender, signing/hiring agency and possibly the title insurance company will or may be required.

Consider from the other side: If you were a borrower, would you want a stranger who has NO connection to your loan and NO Fiduciary relationship with your lender and title insurance company reviewing your Confidential loan documents, like your loan application with SSNs, income and employment, and entering your home for training purposes.

Not to say it isn't done; it just may not be as easy to find a Signing Agent to train you. Also try searching your area and sending Private e-mail messages with your complete resume, location and telephone numbers, to a few Signing Agents in your area. If you are willing for them to share their client base and borrowers' confidential information with you, you should be willing to share your resume including home phone and address with them.

Reply by Emma J Bland on 7/30/13 7:50am
Msg #478476

Re: Wish you luck BUT "guest of NSA at signing"

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/30/13 9:01am
Msg #478481

These requests come up because this is what the XYZ course

recommends. IMO there's nothing wrong with seeking out a mentor. I have mentored several notaries who have gone on to be successful. Since we are independent contractors, and this is a highly competitive business, there aren't many willing to help someone else learn the ropes.

Reply by CorpJen on 7/30/13 9:43am
Msg #478486

Re: These requests come up because this is what the XYZ course

suggest you find one out of your area, so you can emphasize "non-compete"

Reply by 101livescan on 7/30/13 9:52am
Msg #478490

Example:

Hi, neighbor hairdresser, I see that you are doing a bang up business in the salon business. You are constantly busy since ladies always have money for hairdos, waxing, manicure, pedicures. You are doing so well, I thought I would open a business right next door to you in that vacant space, you don't mind do you? I'll charge just a little less, and offer the same level of service you do, and since your salon is so nice, I'll just duplicate your shop's design and color scheme since it works so well for you. Oh, yes, the ads you run in the local newspaper. PERFECT! They will work for me too!

Wish me luck, will you? I can't wait to be your neighbor! BTW, if I need any help along the way, I know you'll be there for me, right?

No ingenuity, individualism, creativity or common sense! I just don't understand why people think this is okay!

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/30/13 10:40am
Msg #478501

<<"No ingenuity, individualism, creativity or common sense! I just don't understand why people think this is okay!'>>

And yet, when a few entrepreneurs found a niche in the notary training industry they get clobbered for it! I for one wholeheartedly agree in the independent go-getter mentality, due diligence and all that; but when someone seeks assistance to succeed it's primarily because they don't know where to go for help.

It's wrong to assume that a "competing" business would be willing to provide this help - particularly in the current environment.

Real estate agents do this all the time. I was mentored by the "competition" but we shared the profit (such as it was) on anything we worked on together. I'm not so sure the signing agent industry is that type of collaborative biz (outside of the forum). But why pay a "stranger" for help when you could pay me Smile

btw, in my "salon," I'd offer free tea/coffee and complimentary messages for full-service clients (hair, nails, wax, pedicure). Oh, and a 60 in. TV (did I mention a children's play room).

Seriously, Cheryl's point is well-taken and a good illustration!

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/30/13 11:00am
Msg #478503

Complimentary "Massages"!

Fully clothed (I might add).

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 7/30/13 11:10am
Msg #478509

I'll take a massage, a crumpet, and some pu-erh tea, tyvm. n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 7/30/13 11:11am
Msg #478510

Re: Complimentary "Massages"!

Once I spent $350 on a total makeup and hair "MAKEOVER". It was worth it! But I don't do this on a regular basis, it was a celebration. While my hair stylist was discussing with me the changes he would be making, a lovely lady came by and massaged my hands and feet. I had Perrier with lime. Would I like a snack?

Oh My...I left feeling like the Pampered Princess! I told my sister about this, and she began incorporating this into her services.

Awesome.

Reply by 101livescan on 7/30/13 11:14am
Msg #478513

Once I spent $350 on a total makeup and hair "MAKEOVER"at Walter Claudio's in Santa Barbara, a very highend salon. I had seen a lady on a flight who had the most beautiful hair, and she told me who she went to. It was worth it! But I don't do this on a regular basis, it was a celebration. While my hair stylist was discussing with me the changes he would be making, a lovely lady came by and massaged my hands and feet. I had Perrier with lime. Would I like a snack? Wine?

Oh My...I left feeling like the Pampered Princess! I told my sister about this, and she began incorporating some of this into her services.

Awesome.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 7/30/13 2:42pm
Msg #478572

I liked this so much I read it twice! LOL n/m

Reply by Charlie Ervin on 7/31/13 12:31am
Msg #478649

Re: I liked this so much I read it twice! LOL

I am new to this business but, I have had over 8 years as an underwriter. What I have noticed about this forum is you guys are the best of the best but you tend to forget how it was when you starting in the business how nerves you were and how that training you got didn't teach you anything. Some new guys ask dumb question just like you did when you started! I have learn quickly to shut up and just read but I am not sure that this is the way to make your friends and peers better. I have took on the task to be the best in anything I do in life so I am coming for the top spot and you can best believe I am sharing all my tips and what I learn with the new agents because we are as good as our weakest link.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/31/13 1:35am
Msg #478655

Charlie, the thing is . . .

these seasoned folk had to "dig their own ditches" when they were coming up in the biz. Today's (silver platter) personality types want you to find the shovel/hoe, locate the perfect spot and burrow out the big hole, too! It must be nerve-wracking for them watching the depletion of so much "common" sense - especially when the tools readily available today were not around for many of them.

No one gets into any business without some KIND OF BUSINESS PLAN (at least a "clue"); yet, again and again the dreaded questions come . . .

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/30/13 4:37pm
Msg #478584

This is what I call a "feel good" story Smile

Hope you left a high end TIP!

I also like Ryan's tea idea (it's really all about Image: A savvy solo-preneur would be smart to offer Teavana and crumpets, little cucumber sandwiches on a tray. I bet she could live on the tips alone!)

(I opened a Maple tea gift "shoppe" but it didn't do well; not enough money to promote. Maybe I'll move to 93102)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.