Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Tell me if you can spot the problem with this.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by Malbrough_LA on 7/17/13 3:21pm
Msg #477182

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/atd/3928211102.html

My brain almost asploded....

Because this is a few blocks from me, I'm going to go over there and try talking with the owner first to let them know that this is illegal. If that doesn't work, well, I'll keep y'all posted.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 7/17/13 3:29pm
Msg #477183

Wow! Since LA notaries are commissioned for life, I w0uld guess the seals do not have any expiration date.

IMO, if he wants to sell the bases, that would be OK. The seals (inserts) need to be removed and destroyed.

Reply by Pam/NM on 7/17/13 3:36pm
Msg #477185

Speechless

You mean you have a problem with this? Haha...Guessing the owner is going to tell you that by removing the embossing plates it will ruin the value of them. Seals removed, they'd be great for a movie set.....

Reply by Teresa/FL on 7/17/13 3:38pm
Msg #477186

On 2nd look, he has already sold 5 units

This is just an open invitation for an enterprising con man or woman to commit fraud by impersonating a notary.

I wonder if any of the notaries whose seals are being sold are still alive? Could these seals be lost or stolen (especially the newer hand-held models)?

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 7/17/13 3:45pm
Msg #477187

Re: On 2nd look, he has already sold 5 units

I noticed that as well. After Katrina, there's always the possibility that xyz was lost and has suddenly resurfaced. I've been in the owner's shop before and know them to be fairly reputable individuals. I'm hoping beyond hope they have no clue what they've got which is why I'm going to discuss things with them. The part which troubles me most is that for a knick-knack type shop, the price is high (comparative to the rest of his usual wares).... At any rate, yes the commission is for life, so this is a major problem. Compound on top of that that it is/was a validly commissioned seal to a civil law notary, it can still be used since it hasn't been destroyed. All it takes is one individual among the bunch that has been sold to wreak utter havoc. Frown

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/17/13 3:52pm
Msg #477188

Makes you wonder where/how they got them... Good luck! n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 7/17/13 3:55pm
Msg #477189

I can see that it's an antique & collectible item, but I'm

sure the average person isn't going to know it's illegal to sell them. After all, someone put them out there in the first place, right?

Reply by Luckydog on 7/17/13 5:13pm
Msg #477203

Maybe the named notary is deceased and thus making these stamps useless. They look pretty old. I think the antique store doesn't have a clue that these shouldn't be sold if the seal is intact and not destroyed or partially destroyed in some way.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/17/13 5:39pm
Msg #477207

I've seen one or two generic notary seals, that is, they just said Notary Public and did not contain the name of any person. Such a seal might have been made back when laws were looser. Such a generic seal might still be legal in one of the states that does not require a seal.

Reply by ajd/pa on 7/17/13 5:47pm
Msg #477210

Seeing the pictures of those old embossers reminds me of the ones I vaguely remember seeing on my Grandfather's desk (he was a Notary/Attorney in NY then in FL). Wonder what ever became of those. Do those antiques have any names or states on them?

Reply by Clem/CA on 7/17/13 7:29pm
Msg #477227

you can click prohibited

on the top of the ad

Reply by jba/fl on 7/17/13 9:29pm
Msg #477237

First, need to determine if indeed there is a real seal

and whether expired or not, or if notated as such. Currently, jumping to conclusions. The jury is still out on this one IMHO.

Reply by Malbrough_LA on 7/18/13 9:22am
Msg #477270

Re: First, need to determine if indeed there is a real seal

The seal is real, commission is for life so no expiration. I got so slammed yesterday with GNW, I didn't get to make it to the shop until after they closed. While this is good because it means I made wonderful money yesterday, I was upset I didn't get to speak with the owner. I'm going to try again on my lunch break. As far as the authenticity of the seals, zoom into the picture, they appear very genuine to me; however, I'd like to see them with my own eyes. Plus, I want to purchase one sans seal for my desk. They are pretty neat looking! Big Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.