Notary Rotary
Unmarried or Married?
Notary Discussion History

Unmarried or Married?
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by Glenna Webb on 7/10/13 11:00pm
Msg #476287

Unmarried or Married?

Just got a set of documents and it states in two places the couple is unmarried but the Deed has them has married. It is a refinance. Must be a full moon?

Reply by Susan Fischer on 7/10/13 11:31pm
Msg #476289

Notarize, don't analyze. Next? n/m

Reply by Karla/WA on 7/10/13 11:37pm
Msg #476290

Glenna, I do a cursory review of docs (when I have time), and I'm thinking it just the inconsistency that you're pointing out. If I see the inconsistency in time to contact the title company, I certainly do that....I don't think that's over-analyzing.

If your borrowers see the inconsistency, they will want to see that fixed. Here in WA, I certainly change the vesting to its correct wording, initial and get on with the signing.

Docs need to be consistent, and at least you're concerned with the lack of consistency.
Rock on.....

Reply by Glenna Webb on 7/10/13 11:58pm
Msg #476291

I can multi-task very well..so can notarize and analyze at the same time. I don't want to wind up in a bind where I have to say...I was just notarizing...not analyzing. I even let the borrowers analyze their documents and don't do the point and sign thing. Geez...NEXT.
Thank you Karla for the kind words and what you would do. The world needs a little more of this Smile

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/11/13 12:54am
Msg #476296

Well, it was a new moon Monday ....

... so you could be right! In any case, even you didn't ask, I'd be on the phone pronto to escrow about what they wanted to do about this screwup. I certainly wouldn't be correcting, lining through, striking through and/or initialing anything on any docs ..... at least without TC/lender OK. There must be some reason your borrowers are married and then not married ... it's not your (our) concern whether they are or not and not our responsibility to decide what's what. Let title/lender work it out and just follow their instructions.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/11/13 12:57am
Msg #476297

P.S.

BTW: It be something like they bought the property when thery were unmarried and now they're married kind-of-of thing. So old escrow docs would show them unmarried or a GD would show them unmarried but now taking title as unmarried. Etc. etc. etc.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/11/13 1:01am
Msg #476298

Geez

Can't type tonight!

Is there perhaps a GD in docs that shows them originally taking title as unmarried but now taking title as married?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/11/13 2:24am
Msg #476299

"Here in WA, I certainly change the vesting to its correct wording, initial and get on with the signing."

I don't think that would fly here in CA. In order to change anything about the vesting, I believe it requires a Grant Deed that, of course, must be notarized. It's not about how the vesting shows on the documents, but rather how it was last recorded that is the determining factor.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/11/13 5:50am
Msg #476302

Had same situation last week & called TC

Who thanked me for catching it and sent a new DOT cover page along with a few other 'fixed' docs and added an add'l $10 to my fee. They really were brother/sister. I would definitely NOT change it w/o TC's approval. At this point, you really don't know what the situation is, but other posters mentioned valid possibilities.

Reply by Christine/OK on 7/11/13 6:18am
Msg #476303

Hi Glenna! This happens on a fairly frequent basis. Just as you do, checking for consistencies in marital status, names, etc. Big Smile I have found that sometimes these types of 'errors/omissions" are perpetuated from loan signing to loan signing . . .

As with other posters on your thread, multiple clients [title/escrow companies, SSs, etc] were ever so grateful and will send a corrected doc or an AKA, etc to correct the discrepancy and thank me profusely for being so observant. Big Smile My response is simply that I am trying to do the very best job for them that I can . . . and they usually say, 'We appreciate it!' Your professionalism is shining through! Keep up the GREAT work, Glenna!

Reply by Notarysigner on 7/11/13 10:13am
Msg #476322

Well they could be married but not to each other! n/m

Reply by Glenna Webb on 7/11/13 11:12am
Msg #476332

Re: Well they could be married but not to each other!

Thanks for the encouragement, laughs and wisdom. such a great place to go for help. Have a awesome day everybody.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 7/11/13 12:10pm
Msg #476354

Any discrepancy in marital status is vital information, although I might add that there are documents which indicate a potential deal-breaker issue, and other documents which are not so weighty.

People who marry after applying for the loan are probably more frequently encountered - but now and again you run into those who got UN-married and didn't mention it, and that is a big deal (as far as paperwork is concerned).

Then you have situations where the docs are just wrong (generally that's the lender/mtg/dot).

Never take it upon yourself to revise/correct something like this without the express direction of the T/C or lender.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.