Notary Rotary
What to wear-the eternal question
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by ikando on 7/10/13 7:48pm
Msg #476270

I found this post on Linked-in by a man who is a CEO and venture capitalist.

I just received an invite to a special event and at the bottom in bold letters was the announcement: Attire: Business casual.

Business casual, that used to be easy for me. It meant a blue blazer, khaki pants and a blue shirt. Noooo problem.

Even though most events are business casual, my definition of it is no longer automatic. I showed up at an event at a startup company with my usual business casual on and everyone looked at me like I was the crazy college professor. Everyone else was wearing blue jeans and a black T-shirt.

I think we need new categories that outline a little more than just plain business casual. More specific categories would take all the guessing out of what to wear. Here are a few suggestions that I would like to see at the bottom of an invitation:

Dress like Steve Jobs – Blue jeans, mock black turtleneck and hip eyeglasses. Works in most places.
Dress as if you are going to the gym – Sweatpants, hoodie and cool Nike shoes. Good with very early stage start-ups.
Business attire – Sometimes business casual really means business attire which still means wearing a tie and wingtips. Good at banks and oil companies.
Dress like you are meeting Ralph Lauren for lunch – Wear the best clothes you have (no polyester) and no tie.
Dress like you are a game developer – Wear a T-shirt with an old Atari logo, ripped out jeans and Converse hi-tops.
Dress like you are not sure of the definition of business casual – Khaki pants and a golf shirt will be the default outfit.

All of the above can be categorized as business casual depending on where you are and who you work with. New York City dress is different than Silicon Valley dress. Bottom line is to know where you are going and wear what makes you feel comfortable, whatever that might be.

Even in a crowd of “business casuals” what you wear will make you either stand out or blend in. You can make the choice. In the meantime, I will hold onto my khakis but keep the blazer in the trunk of the car, just in case.

For women business casual is even more difficult. Comments on that one are certainly welcome.
Posted by:Richard A. Moran

Conclusion: Dressing style is not universal. What works in NYC doesn't so much in Dallas, and one should dress appropriately for the area. "Bottom line is to know where you are going and wear what makes you feel comfortable, whatever that might be."

Reply by anotaryinva on 7/10/13 8:15pm
Msg #476272

Depends on where the event is taking place. If its a happy hour sort of place, and outdoor park, a museum, a French restaurant? That would dictate what I would wear. I think it's easier for for women, you can wear just about anything, I wouldn't be caught dead in khakis and a blue blazer though, too masculine. Wear what your evening news anchors wear that should be safe no matter where you have to go, remember though shoes really define an outfit.

Reply by ikando on 7/10/13 8:26pm
Msg #476274

Anotary, the article was written by a man. I just cut and pasted it into the message.

Reply by anotaryinva on 7/11/13 6:38am
Msg #476306

LOL, missed that!

For a man around here, definitely depends on their age. Any man over 30 should be wearing exactly what this guy does, khakis and depending on the season a polo or sleeved shirt. Under 30, who knows? Shoes are important for men too!

Reply by Buddy Young on 7/10/13 9:58pm
Msg #476281

I had one company request business professional, HUH!!! I asked the caller if she knew what business professional was ( it's a suit and tie lady ) I said slacks and a polo is business casual. She said " oh yea, business casual "

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/11/13 7:50am
Msg #476312

Going to a wind turbine factory? Bike shorts, bike shoes (the ones that clip on to the pedals), bike shirt that has the pockets in the back. Not to mention the vehicle.

Reply by ToniK on 7/11/13 11:16am
Msg #476333

Ive worked in various industries and business casual usually means you can wear jeans. Most companies have business casual fridays where jeans were worn by everyone. Now they cant be baggy, ripped or look like something you just took out the hamper. But most people wore jeans, a shirt and a blazer.

I usually wear skinny jeans, tank top and a fitted blazer with sandals or heels for business casual. The FBI is the only place I worked at that did not allow jeans at all.

Reply by TeriW/CA on 7/11/13 11:48am
Msg #476342

I guess it depends on where you are from. To me, business casual means something you would wear to work but not dressed up. I would never wear jeans to a signing. To me, that is just casual. I believe the term is casual Friday, not business casual Friday. Again, it depends on where you are.

Reply by Mindy Smith on 7/11/13 11:52am
Msg #476343

Always Business casual, never jeans, sweats, shorts, or sandals.

Reply by TeriW/CA on 7/11/13 12:05pm
Msg #476350

Being in the desert, sandals are okay here. But nice, not casual flip flops, lol...

Reply by MW/VA on 7/11/13 12:36pm
Msg #476367

This was funny! :-) Thanks for posting. Dress codes are

certainly subject to interpretation these days. I'm glad, actually, because I grew up with strict dress codes in high school--skirts, blouses, hose, loafers, etc.--no jeans & tennis shoes in those days. I also worked in the corporate world, and fought the good fight to allow women to wear pants (pant-suits, back them).
"Business casual" is good, but in our profession we are meeting in people's homes, and I don't every dress "to intimidate". ;-) LOL

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.