Notary Rotary
$50 fee reduction ...
Notary Discussion History

$50 fee reduction ...
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by mwm143 on 7/10/13 1:40pm
Msg #476212

$50 fee reduction ...

The instructions said to print all on legal even though the docs were sent in dual format for both letter and legal...like 95% of lender packages. Typical instruction which normally applies to agents with a single tray..but nonetheless a preference by the hiring party. I failed to reset my printer and the packages printed on both sizes. I conducted the closing woth no issue I was notified today that the signing fee was being reduced by $50 for failing to print as instructed. No request to have anyrhing resigned which i wouldnt expect since the paper sizes meet the lender requorements and the loan will fund with no issue Seems a little steep not to mention no mention anywhere in the confirmation that fees are reduced for any reason whatsoever.

Reply by Tim Cameron on 7/10/13 1:44pm
Msg #476213

I would ask them to point out the reduction fee policy sent to you in the conformation and where the closing was damaged or delayed in any manner. and why they sent you docs in multiple sizes if it was to be all in Legal.....personally, I saw that on one of my conformations a while back and called the SS to find out why that was requested and to get the OK to print on the correct sized paper which was granted......

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/10/13 1:56pm
Msg #476217

incredible.

I, too see this and still print on the right size. I did ask one TC about it recently, and she was like, "oh no, if you have both trays, go ahead print as sent."

Reply by Christine/OK on 7/10/13 2:03pm
Msg #476218

Yes, the companies I work with sometimes will have that in the instructions, but I call and advise that I have a dual tray printer and they approve printing as PDF size in package sent. Big Smile

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/10/13 2:12pm
Msg #476220

Which company, mwm? n/m

Reply by mwm143 on 7/10/13 5:40pm
Msg #476253

Re: Which company, mwm?

They are a one man attorney outfit in NC. They handle title work for the handful of broker shops out there that still try to get away with 5 figure settlement fees. I hear from these folks once a year. Correction: Heard.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/10/13 2:19pm
Msg #476222

5 comments Re: $50 fee reduction ...

1. See that frequently, but when you check, it's ALWAYS OK to print to size.
2. If they really want it on legal, it should be scanned as such.
3. If they're penalizing you $50, then they ought to be paying $50 for printing, eh?
4. Don't tell me anything about 'how to print' on page 5 or 10 or anywhere IN the package--put it under 'Special Specifications' ON THE ORDER.
5. Who IS this company anyway? Almost sounds like a 'gotcha'.

Reply by John Tennant on 7/10/13 2:35pm
Msg #476226

Occasionally I get instructions to print on all legal. Even though I have two dual tray printers, I follow the written instructions. Yes, I do review the package in the computer before printing so that if the instructions are buried I will see them. The second reason for the review is to determine how many acks and jurats are not CA compliant. Overall, saves me time, which is money.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 7/10/13 3:28pm
Msg #476231

In MWM's mssg it says the docs were printed on both sides. Are you saying you printed on both sides or did you print different sizes of paper meaning 8 1/2 and 14?

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 7/10/13 3:32pm
Msg #476232

Never mind I can't read today. I've never had anyone reduce my fee for printing the docs the way they were uploaded. They went overboard and of course to their advantage. If they wanted the docs printed on legal only they should have uploaded them accordingly.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/10/13 7:02pm
Msg #476267

I agree that a $50 deduction is too steep. I only have

one co. that specifies all legal instead of mixed, because they claim the lender needs it that way in order to sell the loan.
Please post a comment on this co. in SC. I certainly wouldn't want to work for someone as unreasonable as that. I can see a problem if it was shrunk to all letter size, but mixed paper is the industry standard in most cases.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 7/10/13 9:59pm
Msg #476282

Re: I agree that a $50 deduction is too steep. I only have

I did a TS closing today and the instructions were to print all on legal, even though it was a mixed size package. This was not their standard instruction sheet either.. I do what the hiring company pays me to do!

Reply by jnew on 7/10/13 10:16pm
Msg #476283

I usually look to the settlement agent's instructions for paper size. I only print pdf size when not specified on instructions. If the instructions from SC differ from settlement agent, I go with settlement agent. One thing you could have done was to give the dual pages to the borrower for their copies and print the second copy on legal. First rule is to follow the printed instructions completely. As for the $50.00 fine, if the title company nicked the SS for $50.00 it would be understandable, but I think the more likely reason is the company found an opportunity to transfer a sizable chunk of your fee to the signing company. They should inform you prior to signing as to their "fines" policy.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.