Notary Rotary
"notary public" after name
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by upnorth/AK on 7/3/13 8:21pm
Msg #475568

I received a message from First American this morning that on a closing I did for BOA on the deed I didn't put "notary public" after my name on the signature line and they wanted an all purpose acknowledgement to cover it and they also reported me for a quality issue with FASS for the same thing. I have never written in "notary public" after my name on an acknowledgement form as you are signing the form as the notary and your notary stamp goes right under this line on the deed. I have never had any issues with this in four years including closings done for BOA.

Am I totally missing something here, does everyone else write in "notary public" after their name when it says "on ______________ before me, _________________ personally appeared blah blah blah

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/3/13 8:46pm
Msg #475570

I never wrote "notary public" after my name. And I would never just blithely send out an acknowledgment form.

Reply by RIcloser on 7/3/13 8:47pm
Msg #475571

The RI application states to write the words "Notary Public" after the signature, but I cant find any requirement to write those words when notarizing. Been a Notary and title agent for over 30 years, and I know of only one (Attorney) who writes those words.

3. All applicants must complete this section and have it notarized.
CERTIFICATE OF ENGAGEMENT ON COMMISSION
Official Signature of the Officer Engaged:________________________________________________________
_________________ COUNTY,
Signature as it will appear on commission
In the City/Town of _____________________ and County and State aforesaid, on the _______ day of ______________ , 20 _____ , personally came ___________________________ , and made oath/affirmation to support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution and Laws of Rhode Island, and faithfully and impartially discharge the duties of the office of NOTARY PUBLIC or JUSTICE OF THE PEACE for said State according to the best of his/her abilities.
________________________________________________________ NOTARY PUBLIC or JUSTICE OF THE PEACE
Commission expiration date: __________________________ Personally known by me Produced identification

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/3/13 8:52pm
Msg #475573

In CA, we must....what does your state's handbook say?

Or is your state's handbook silent on the matter? A doc will be rejected by a CA county recorder if "notary public" is not written after the name. Most forms with pre-printed notarial certs have "name and title of officer" printed under the line where the notary is to fill in their name.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/3/13 9:40pm
Msg #475580

Not the signature line, though.

Lisa, the title is not required on the signature line...just written in after our names in the notarial certificate language.

It's a little confusing from the original post though, which portion they mean -- the signature line (at the bottom) or the written name in the certificate language.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/3/13 9:45pm
Msg #475582

I never mentioned the signature line n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 7/4/13 12:45am
Msg #475600

Re: I never mentioned the signature line

No, the original poster did...

"...closing I did for BOA on the deed I didn't put "notary public" after my name on the signature line..."

But as I said, it's a bit confusing if he/she meant the signature or the certificate wording because at the end of the post it says:

"Am I totally missing something here, does everyone else write in 'notary public' after their name when it says "on ______________ before me, _________________ personally appeared"

It's kind of an important distinction.

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/4/13 9:16am
Msg #475619

I responded to the OP's question with example at the end of the post.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/4/13 11:01am
Msg #475635

Yes, I saw that in the OP ("after my name on the SIGNATURE line").

I agree that it is an important distinction 'cause honestly I don't understand OP's comment:

<<"I have never written in "notary public" after my name on an acknowledgement form">>

Sure I'm not the only one who never heard of this after the signature (if it's not pre-printed below the line); as far as the cert, it's almost always there; but now I guess I shouldn't take for granted!!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/3/13 9:22pm
Msg #475575

I don't see how anybody can tell you how to fill out your notary certificate other than your state legislature ... . In CA it's required "notary public" follow the notary's name in the first sentence of an ack.

FATCO/FASS may want all notaries to write "notary public" on the ack and any number of other things, as well ... but the question is, will the county recorder reject it with such "unneeded" or "extra" information....?

In any case, I certainly would NOT be sending them a loose certificate through the mail. They can send you back the ack you did to add "notary pubic" if they want it that bad, *and* you agree that it is acceptable to do so in your state.

Sounds like some bonehead QC person is out of control .....

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/3/13 9:26pm
Msg #475576

Re: "notary public" after name : blah blah unacceptable

I wouldn't trust any answer to this type of question unless the entire certificate is written out, with fictitious names of course. And of course you would have to indicate exactly where they wanted the "notary pubic" added.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/3/13 9:34pm
Msg #475578

Alaska doesn't seem to have a notary handbook but their lieutenant governor's website has links to their laws. The link

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/folioproxy.asp?url=http://wwwjnu01.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bin/folioisa.dll/stattx08/query=09!2E63/doc/{@3268}

has a law that contains suggested certificates. That suggests the officer's title be written under the officer's signature.

Reply by desktopfull on 7/3/13 11:56pm
Msg #475597

After the "before me" you write your name and title "notary public".

Reply by jba/fl on 7/4/13 12:47am
Msg #475601

I was taught in law office many moons ago that the correct procedure is:

"on __(today)____________ before me, __JBA/FL, Notary Public_______________ personally appeared Jane Doe and John Doe who provided DL as ID.

Old habits die hard

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/4/13 9:49am
Msg #475621

I do put Notary Public on the certificate as you described Jules, I was reading the OP's post as on the signature line. I don't do the commission exp though as it is on the seal.

Reply by Scriba/NM on 7/4/13 2:04pm
Msg #475653

As Usual FASS Still Hires Dumbos

These "worker minions" invent things to complain about and then they "report" you for a quality issue. There is no way to counter these accusations, except to NOT work for them and their incomprehensible, gibbering phone people. You can't explain anything to them either on the phone or via email or request an explanation because they don't care and will plod along their preset path of silliness, oblivious to anything going on around them. And of course, they still "report" you. If you try hard, you can get "reported" twice. Once for the perceived infraction and once for requesting an explanation.

Personally, I just quit working for them two years ago. They make mistakes and then blame the notary. Why put up with it? They won't pay scale anyway, so why bother? Unless, of course, you're desparate. (and BofA loans are getting preposterously huge - 300 pages with borrower copies)

P.S.
(Listening to the blather of the FASS management giving speeches at NNA gatherings is hysterical - sounds so very lofty but does not resemble reality in any way, shape, or form.)

Reply by upnorth/AK on 7/4/13 3:51pm
Msg #475655

Thank you all for your input. I do apologize for the part in my post of "blah blah blah." I was quite irritated at the time and let that get the better of me. To top this whole thing off I guess BOA is holding up the funding of the loan because of this which I think is pretty funny since I did two other BOA closings the week before the exact same way and didn't have any issues not to mention numerous ones over the past years.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/4/13 4:51pm
Msg #475661

upnorth/AK: Please clarify.

Are they requiring "notary public" after your name in the body of the notarial certificate or are they saying after your signature at the end of the certificate?

TIA!

Reply by upnorth/AK on 7/4/13 5:58pm
Msg #475665

Re: upnorth/AK: Please clarify.

To tell you the truth, I have to clarify that with them tomorrow. What I was told was "you did not write notary public on the notary signature line for the notary acknowledgement." I am assuming they mean the upper part of the acknowledgement where it says On _________ before me, upnorth/AK personally appeared John Doe and that it is supposed to go after my name but that is not the signature line. I make this assumption as the All Purpose Acknowledgement they sent me has it formatted that way but they also have a place to print my name UNDER the signature line. Very confusing and I'm not entirely sure what they want.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/5/13 8:39am
Msg #475680

I usually put MW, Notary Public on that line, but I don't

see that as a reason to hold up funding of the loan.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/5/13 9:36am
Msg #475687

Re: I usually put MW, Notary Public on that line, but I don't

When upnorth/AK writes "all purpose acknowledgement", I wonder if she means a California all purpose acknowledgement? I stopped using those and attach a loose certificate instead because I should not cross out the perjury clause. I won't leave the perjury clause intact because it could be interpreted as administering a solemn affirmation to myself, which is not allowed. Of course it's a different matter for California notaries, because even if they are administering a solemn affirmation to themselves, it is explicitly allowed and required by law in this particular case.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/5/13 9:39am
Msg #475688

Re: I usually put MW, Notary Public on that line, but I don't

Just to add: the reason I shouldn't cross out the perjury clause in a California APA is because some California recorders will reject certificates with the strikeout, even though they will happily accept out-of-state wording that says nothing about perjury. Or so I was told by the owner of a signing company.

Maybe the person reviewing upnorth/AK's acknowledgement is worried that a CA recorder will take the attitude that if it looks like a CA APA, it must be filled out like a CA APA, even though it was completed out-of-state.

Reply by BobtheElder on 7/5/13 10:14am
Msg #475695

Re: upnorth/AK: Please clarify.

It sounds like some QC person is stuck on their state requirement, and doesn't understand that the format must meet your state requirements, not theirs....

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.