Notary Rotary
double signature lines
Notary Discussion History

double signature lines
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 7/6/13 10:21am
Msg #475776

double signature lines

Just printed documents for a signing this morning. some of the documents have four signature lines with borrowers names printed under them. There are only two borrowers. Do I ignore the second set of signature lines, have the two borrowers each sign twice or line through the extra signature lines and have the borrowers initial?
Any other ideas?

Reply by walthtz on 7/6/13 10:24am
Msg #475777

The extra lines are in case there are more than 2 BR's on the loan.

Reply by pat/WA on 7/6/13 10:41am
Msg #475780

The four signature lines have the two borrowers names printed under them.

Reply by ananotary on 7/6/13 10:24am
Msg #475778

Absent getting specific instructions to ignore the 2nd set

I would never line through and ignore them. JMHO

Reply by Susan Fischer on 7/6/13 10:29am
Msg #475779

Sounds like a boilerplate form that the program just

had to "complete". I always just did the one-line thru & initial thing, since one signature per BO is the SOP.

jmho

Reply by ToniK on 7/6/13 10:53am
Msg #475781

is it in a Trust? n/m

Reply by pat/WA on 7/6/13 11:01am
Msg #475783

Re: is it in a Trust?

no

Reply by LKT/CA on 7/6/13 10:59am
Msg #475782

Is one signature line their name (as an individual) and the other with "Trustee" after it? I'd contact the TC......some don't like strike-outs. If you cannot reach the TC, then I'd have them sign twice - probably an error to have two signature lines for each borrower (as individuals). Personally, I have never run into a problem with a borrower "over-signing" but it could be a problem if they under-sign. Make NO assumptions about the docs. Contact the TC first. JMHO

Reply by MW/VA on 7/6/13 11:11am
Msg #475785

IMO it's a question for your hiring party. n/m

Reply by pat/WA on 7/6/13 11:34am
Msg #475788

Re: IMO it's a question for your hiring party.

Hiring party puts you on hold and after around 10 minutes hangs up. It is a holiday weekend.
I will use my own judgment.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 7/6/13 11:30am
Msg #475786

Have them sign it!

You're following the docs. It's not going to hurt. Too much is better then too little. JMHO

Reply by Luckydog on 7/6/13 11:40am
Msg #475789

Re: Have them sign it!

If their name is typed or printed, I have them sign. I have seen this before, better to sign it then to leave it empty or strike out. Most of the times it involves a trust, but I have seen it the same printed twice for no apparent reason. I just have them sign it.

Reply by pat/WA on 7/6/13 12:41pm
Msg #475790

You are right

This was not a trust but I had them sign it twice anyway and they were very nice and understanding

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/6/13 4:47pm
Msg #475802

Re: You are right

For future reference, what you could do in a situation like that is make an extra copy of that page. Have borrowers execute one exactly as shown and another (if they're willing) as you think it probably should be. That way, the client can choose what they prefer and shred the other. (Might be a concern, though, with two signature pages of a Note.)

A situation like that could mean many things... a computer glitch, a goof by someone new, or just a different way of doing things for reasons we may not understand. But when you can't reach your client, interpreting what you think should be done can get you in trouble. Barring other options, I believe the safest thing is to go with exactly what you see.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/6/13 6:29pm
Msg #475811

That's probably the best suggestion, Janet. That way alla

the bases are covered & there's no chance of having to re-sign.

Reply by pat/WA on 7/6/13 6:57pm
Msg #475817

Re: You are right

The note wasn't one of the documents. I don't believe I would have considered having the borrowers sign two notes

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.