Notary Rotary
e-docs sent late
Notary Discussion History

e-docs sent late
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by Mindy Smith on 7/11/13 11:59am
Msg #476347

e-docs sent late

I have a question as a newbie. I had my first signing yesterday with a National Title Company. My appointment was at 10:00 am and they didn't send me the e-docs until 9:00 am. Is that typical to be expected to print duplicate, review, and get to the assignment on time in one hour?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 7/11/13 12:06pm
Msg #476352

It's only "typical" if you allow it to be.

When you agree to signing, advise scheduler what your "drop-dead" time is. Tell them you require docs within (for example) 3 hours from appointment time. Whenever I get a signing call, I always ask if docs are ready and available and get an ETA.

After all, if the signing location is 45 minutes' drive from you and you don't get docs 'til 1 hour prior to signing time, they can't honestly expect you to print, review, prep, drive and get to appointment on time!

Reply by TeriW/CA on 7/11/13 12:08pm
Msg #476353

Not typical but it happens. I just make sure I am in touch with the borrower and let them know I don't have docs yet and once I receive them, I will let them know so we can adjust our signing time. Hopefully, it doesn't mess up your entire schedule for the day.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/11/13 12:16pm
Msg #476356

You will have a lot to learn in this biz. Unfortunately,

late docs are often "typical", especially at EOM (end of the month). I've found that you have a couple of options. Either set a cut-off time in advance (some notaries have a 2 hr. cutoff); or you can call the borrowers, explain that docs have been "delayed", and adjust the time accordingly. I don't get too many docs received only an hr. before a scheduled appt., but it does happen. The best thing to do is to understand the nature of this biz, and whether you can be flexible enough to "go with the flow". It's been discussed before, how you handle the call to the borrower is very important. Some cos. don't like you to say "docs are late", so a more tactful approach is better. Good luck. :-)

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/11/13 12:19pm
Msg #476359

Re: You will have a lot to learn in this biz. Unfortunately,

No, this is not typical, but unfortunately, late docs are an occupational hazard. It sounds like your EO didn't want to stay late last night getting the docs to you and decided to slam dunk them in the morning. They really couldn't care less that they jammed you and the borrowers up. Many notaries, like Yolanda explained, have a drop dead deadline/understanding with the document providers. Another possible way to deal with it while the clock is ticking is first confirm that the signing is still on and that docs are at least coming ... sometime. Then call the borrowers, telll them docs "have not been released yet," or something like that, and you will call them when they are and reschedule. Most important don't stress; this is NOT your fault. Move these guys to the end of the line or when it's convenient for you to get to them. Do NOT juggle your other signings around to accommodate them. If they complain, have them complain to their LO; not your fault.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/11/13 12:22pm
Msg #476360

I agree with what you posted, GoldGirl, but I think it's

important to note that late docs are not deliberate. TC's are at the mercy of the lenders, etc.
We have a choice to adjust our schedules or turn back the signing.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 7/11/13 12:32pm
Msg #476366

Re: I agree with what you posted, GoldGirl, but I think it's

I was going to mention that, too, MW/VA. Lots of time escrow's waiting on HUD and on and on down the line ... and it's really nobody's "fault."

However, the timing of the OP's situation was a little too suspicious. Having been down that road many times, I thought it was highly likely that escrow took off a 5 p.m., thinking they'll be in at 8 and get the docs to notary at 9 who will certainly be able to get to signing at 10, not really giving a hoot how much pressure that puts on us. The whole time frame was just too coincidental.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/11/13 12:25pm
Msg #476362

Excellent advise, GG

Work 'em in as best you can, but don't screw up everyone's day trying to accommodate the late doc one. Sometimes you might even have to just give it back. Which is why a 'drop dead' time can be your salvation. They knew; they didn't care; oh, well~~

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/11/13 12:26pm
Msg #476364

AdviCe... fingers are sometimes faster than brain...sorry n/m

Reply by Mindy Smith on 7/11/13 12:41pm
Msg #476369

Well, I guess it was the ultimate test for my first signing. Got everything printed, reviewed, prepared, and out the door. Got to the appt. at 9:59, only 15 min away, and everything went well at the signing. Also as a newbie, reluctant to be too pushy with the docs because it was my first signing. I did call at 8:50 to ask if the signing was still on because no docs and magically they were sent within 10 minutes.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/11/13 11:31pm
Msg #476506

"...magically they were sent within 10 minutes."

Yeah, it's funny how that happens... Wink Sometimes, when I get a call for a signing that's within a day or so of the appointment time and docs aren't ready (and I usually ask that in those cases), when confirming with the borrowers, I'll ask how flexible their schedule is if docs don't get "released" (I like that wording, too) in time. It's also amazing how quickly things can get moving when some borrowers contact their LOs to see what they can do to push things through the pipeline...

When talking to borrowers about this, a little care with how you say things is important, but it can lead to all kinds of interesting discoveries and make life easier for all of you. Plus, you then know what you may be dealing with.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/11/13 12:27pm
Msg #476365

Your profile says, "last minute assignments"??? n/m

Reply by Mindy Smith on 7/11/13 12:36pm
Msg #476368

Re: Your profile says, "last minute assignments"???

Yes, as a newbie I just made that change to my profile this morning, per another persons suggestion to get business. Maybe not such a good idea, but this was after the late e-doc signing.

Reply by jba/fl on 7/11/13 1:45pm
Msg #476389

I would leave it as adjusted.

Doesn't mean if they are late you are going to re-shuffle your schedule, it just means if all the planets align on this particular last minute job that all is well.

Reply by MW/VA on 7/11/13 3:37pm
Msg #476420

I understand that you're expressing availability, but some

cos. will choose to interpret that literally. ;-)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.