Notary Rotary
new one for me
Notary Discussion History

new one for me
Go Back to July, 2013 Index

Posted by budman63/tn on 7/8/13 11:37am
Msg #475921

new one for me

I had a gn client call to ask about a poa for a vehicle. One party is in TN the other is in NC.
Any thoughts?

Reply by Luckydog on 7/8/13 12:22pm
Msg #475927

I believe they need an attorney to draw up a legal POA for an individual which states what rights they have and to which transaction(s) the POA is given to who and the time frame involved. (if they are buying a car for them, selling the car, access to their bank account etc.) This is an Attorney action commenced by the first party and then sent to the individual acting as POA to take to get notarized (2nd party).

Reply by Roger_OH on 7/8/13 1:05pm
Msg #475930

Ohio has a very simple POA form that the BMV utilizes for title transfers.

Suggest contacting your county auto title office for their guidance on what's acceptable in your state.

Reply by sueharke on 7/9/13 12:16am
Msg #476030

I did a similar process to sell a trailer for a jet for my nephew. He lived in Texas and I in CA. The jet ski was in CA. We used a limited poa to authorize me to sell the jet ski trailer. DMV had no problem with the form.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 7/8/13 1:31pm
Msg #475933

Helping the person acquire the POA itself is generally outside of our authority or area of expertise (unless you also happen to be a paralegal or attorney, etc., or unless it's an easily available form, like Roger referred to). In many states, that could be considered UPL.

As for notarizing it, it would just be handled like any other notarization. They need proper ID, they need to personally appear, etc. Whatever is required by your state notary laws. If the person in NC needs the person in TN to sign for him/her, then you might suggest they check with whomever will be the recipient of the document you're to be notarizing to see how they prefer it be signed. Hopefully you'll be able to find someone who knows what you're talking about.

I hope your question has been addressed by at least one of us. You weren't very clear on what, exactly, your issue was.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 7/8/13 1:39pm
Msg #475934

Here ya go

IF THE CAR IS REGISTERED IN TN:

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/forms/titlereg/f1311401Fill-in.pdf

OR IF THE CAR IS REGISTERED IN NC:

http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/VR_MVR63.pdf

Reply by MistarellaFL on 7/8/13 1:40pm
Msg #475935

Too fast

These are so common that there is a form for these.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.