Notary Rotary
Advise please...what would you do?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by SuzieQ/CA on 6/10/13 11:53am
Msg #472767

I have a signing tomorrow morning. I cannot get in touch with the borrower. I have left her numerous messages. She has not called back. The signing is 100 miles round trip! I've left messages for the party that hired me for an alternate phone number. I've not heard from them either. Assuming I get docs (which I haven't yet), would you go to this appointment without having confirmed it?

Thank you in advance for your advise.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 6/10/13 11:57am
Msg #472769

If hiring party states to you in writing that they will pay your full fee regardless of borrowers availability or willingness to sign, then yes, I'd go.

If you cannot get that guarantee in writing, definitely I would NOT go.

JMHO

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/10/13 12:25pm
Msg #472773

Agree w/Yoli n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 6/10/13 12:31pm
Msg #472774

...what would you do?... I'd follow Yoli's advice. n/m

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 6/10/13 11:58am
Msg #472770

I would not travel that far without a confirmation. All you can do is continue to try and reach the signer and the party who hired you. I had this happen to me once and I left a message for the hiring party that I would not be driving to the signing if I could not confirm. I received alternate phone numbers within minutes. Amazing. Signing was confirmed and off I went.

Good Luck.

Reply by SuzieQ/CA on 6/10/13 12:07pm
Msg #472771

Thanks Yoli and Lisa for your advice.

Reply by JAM/CA on 6/10/13 12:56pm
Msg #472780

At this point, it also depends on kind of message you leave for borrower. Some think, I
don't have to call, I already confirmed with Title or Signing Service. They are really not
sure who is coming.

I would leave a message that goes something like this:

Good Morning or Afternoon Mr. or Mrs. Smith. My name is ----------, I am the Notary that
will be coming to your home. I am an independent contractor and must have a return call
from you to set the necessary time aside for you. If I do not receive a return call, I will
consider this time open and we will need to reschedule.

You also could have wrong number, happens frequently. Or, the borrower is out of country till
moments before signing time.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/10/13 3:26pm
Msg #472804

Yes, agree with all the responses

Leave message to borrower stating if you do not receive a return phone call, you will NOT be driving to the location to conduct the signing - and recite the address so he/she knows you're legit.

Reply by loandocs on 6/10/13 5:07pm
Msg #472815

No, I would not go. Keep the lender/title co/signing co advised of the situation, and do not go unless they assure you that you will be paid for printing the docs and driving 100 miles round trip, if it turns out that the Borrower is not at home.

Reply by SuzieQ/CA on 6/10/13 7:27pm
Msg #472834

Thanks everyone for all your sound advice. I did finally manage to contact borrower. She finally answered her phone! Yay! Now if only I had docs, I'd be a happy camper. Need to leave early in the morning. Hope I get them tonight!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.