CPA tax question.
Notary Discussion History

CPA tax question.
Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by Belinda/CA on 6/6/13 5:52pm
Msg #472476

CPA tax question.

My husband earns more than me.

1. When my husband retires, if I have not worked 40 quarters, when I have reached retirement age, what am I entitled to as a spouse? An amount of 1/2 of what he receives?

2. When my husband retires, if I have worked 40 quarters, what am I entitled to once I reach retirement age?

We cannot get two answers that match so we are left bewildered. Read the IRS website. They use wording that make their statements vague unless you know what they are referring to.

Any insight is appreciated.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 6/6/13 6:06pm
Msg #472479

Why would a twenty-something be worried about retiring?

Don't worry, be happy. Smile

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/6/13 6:11pm
Msg #472480

You should not be referring to the IRS website

you should be reading the SSA website...they are the ones who determine what your benefits would be and whta you and/or your spouse would be entitled to.

My husband does not have 40 quarters....I do. I took early social security. Believe it or not they had to call him and interview HIM on the phone to make sure he knew I was taking early SS. They also asked him if he wished to collect a portion of my SS - they told him he could but it would decrease my benefit. He pulls a civil service pension so, needless to say, he said no. I'm not sure how much he would have collected but it would have impacted my benefits.

But yes, you should be referring to the SSA website for this information.

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/about.htm#a0=4

Reply by John Tennant on 6/6/13 6:19pm
Msg #472482

Re: You should not be referring to the IRS website

Linda is very correct. The IRS website will only confuse you. The SSA website has the information you are looking for, as well as information on collecting on an EX's social security if qualified. My ex collects on mine and it has had absolutely no effect on what I collect.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 6/6/13 6:27pm
Msg #472485

SS website can overwhelm you. I don't believe you

are ever too young to plan for your retirement. I also have found SS very responsive by phone. I call east coast time before the rest of the country is up. you need to understand how disability works, social security retirement and permeant disability. There are different rules, work requirements and age for each.

Reply by sueharke on 6/7/13 11:06am
Msg #472548

In this case google is your friend. Many people publish articles on this subject on financial websites. I suggest finding the one that best answers your question.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.