Cancelled at table question
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by Wesley Wittman on 6/21/13 9:02am
Msg #474209

Hello all,
Quick question. If a notary gets cancelled at the table, is there any required journal work that needs to be done?

Reply by 101livescan on 6/21/13 9:05am
Msg #474211

If you didn't notarize......? There's your answer. Will you at least be paid for your printing and travel fee? Bigger question!

Reply by Wesley Wittman on 6/21/13 9:07am
Msg #474212

I thought it might be a stupid question, but nothing was notorized. I was just wondering if the state might want it for record keeping.
At least I am getting paid for the printing and travel fees.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 6/21/13 9:11am
Msg #474213

I usually do my journal entry first thing at the table. So, if it was cancelled after that, I put a big "X" on the entry and write aborted. Then there was never a question as to whether I was there or not. That's for my recordkeeping.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 6/21/13 9:31am
Msg #474215

Same as Shoshana ...

except, I also note the reason for cancellation for any future reference.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 6/21/13 9:37am
Msg #474216

very good question...and there's none unless your state

requires you to notate why, and even if they don't, its probably a good idea for your records to put a reason why it cancelled or just cancelled by borrower...

Hope you get paid my friend.

Reply by Wesley Wittman on 6/21/13 9:39am
Msg #474217

Re: very good question...and there's none unless your state

Thanks everybody!

Reply by Shelly_FL on 6/21/13 10:22am
Msg #474223

I do much like the others. Depending on the situation, I also have them complete a "Refusal to Sign" form to document why they are not signing in their own words. It also documents who and what number they called and if they reached anyone. If for no other reason it is CYA when the SS is unhappy that their client is irate.

Reply by Karla/OR on 6/21/13 12:06pm
Msg #474237

Shelly~ are you willing to share your "Refusal to Sign" form? If so, I would love to see it and possibly use it on those rare occasions when a closing is cancelled and can't reach anyone.

No pressure though if you would prefer not to share it.

Reply by ToniK on 6/21/13 12:09pm
Msg #474239

I have one an SS gives me included in confirmation. I never used it tho

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/22/13 9:41am
Msg #474325

Any notarization that I start but don't complete, I line thru each box of the line entry and write "VOID" in each box.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/22/13 7:49pm
Msg #474360

Depends on state law. As a precaution, I recorded every

appointment, as the ID/signature matching came first. If it ended up that no Notarial act was performed, I noted the cancellation, memorialized chronologically in my journal. NR's journal is, and forgive me for repeating myself, so handy for documenting our Notarial Lives. <chuckle>

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.