Notary Rotary
Certified Copies
Notary Discussion History

Certified Copies
Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by Barbara___IL on 6/9/13 11:20pm
Msg #472720

Certified Copies

I notarized a POA. I just got an email inquiring if I can certify copies of it. I'm not sure what that means. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/9/13 11:29pm
Msg #472721

You're in Illinois, right? If so, I don't think it matters. I just pulled up the Illinois handbook and on page 12 it says, "Illinois law does not authorize a notary public to certify copies of any document. Persons requesting certified copies of documents should be referred to the official who has custody of the original document or to the office where the document has been officially filed."

Maybe the POA was recorded with the county clerk? Some are, for this very reason. If so, they could request a copy from the clerk.

Now, since you asked... here in CA we are allowed to certify a copy of an original POA. CA probate law states that a properly certified copy of a POA is just as effective as the original. We have to have the original presented to us and an exact copy or (as I prefer) make the copy ourselves. We then issue a special certificate that says (more or less...there actually is no required wording for this, ironically, in CA):

========
State of California
County of _______________

I (name of notary public) , Notary Public, certify that on (date) , I examined the original power of attorney and the copy of the power of attorney. I further certify that the copy is a true and correct copy of the original power of attorney.

Notary Public Signature
Notary Public Seal
==========

Reply by leeinla on 6/9/13 11:46pm
Msg #472722

Re: Certified Copies Forms

Marian,

I went to the s.o.s website (CA) and how do you download the form?

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/9/13 11:49pm
Msg #472723

Re: Certified Copies Forms

There isn't a form for that. You have to either write it out by hand, make a stamp, similar to a Jurat stamp or make up your own loose form.

Reply by leeinla on 6/10/13 12:51am
Msg #472725

A couple of questions:

Can you buy them some where? Just asking.
Do you write in your journal entry Certified P.O.A with the same i.d information just like a jurat? Do you meet people at FedExOffice so you can make a copy yourself? How does that work?

I posted it here so it might help other notaries.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/10/13 1:30am
Msg #472726

Re: Certified Copies (For California folks)

"Can you buy them some where? Just asking."

Probably... though I made mine myself using the suggested wording from the handbook. If anyone wants to see the one I use (and use it themselves if they wish), they can download it from here:

http://www.highdesertnotary.com/forms/POA%20Certification_genericOL.pdf

"Do you write in your journal entry Certified P.O.A with the same i.d information just like a jurat?"

You definitely have to create a journal entry because it is a notarial act. Pages 46-47 of the workbook detail how to do the whole thing:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary-education-sample-workbook-2013.pdf

"Do you meet people at FedExOffice so you can make a copy yourself? How does that work?"

That depends on where I am. I carry a portable, analog copy machine in my car (Canon pc170) for that kind of thing as well as making copies of IDs when needed. However, we aren't required to make the copy ourselves. Sometimes I meet people when they've already made the copies. In those situations, you just have to extra diligent to be sure that the copies really are exact copies without alterations. That can be tricky, which is why I prefer to make the copies myself, or supervise the copies being made.... but it is NOT required. This can be done just about anywhere, really...it just depends on the individual circumstances.

Reply by kathy/ca on 6/10/13 9:43am
Msg #472751

Marian, I have never been asked to do this, do you attach

the required verbiage to the certified copy and also attach a jurat?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 6/10/13 10:08am
Msg #472754

Re: Marian, I have never been asked to do this, do you attach

Kathy: I have never been asked for this either. However, my understanding is we would attach the certifying certificate only. No Jurat, no Acknowledgment. We do not notarize our own signature.

Reply by kathy/ca on 6/10/13 10:26am
Msg #472756

Oh so no notarization required, even of the person we

are certifying copies for?

Reply by Gregory/CA on 6/10/13 10:39am
Msg #472757

Notarization is required

As referenced in the 2013 Workbook, page 47, it states in part "the notary public must sign and stamp the certificate with their notarial seal."

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary-education-sample-workbook-2013.pdf

The link to the workbook is above and also in Marian's earlier post.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 6/10/13 10:49am
Msg #472759

Actually, your Seal is required on the Certified Certificate

The workbook has a two pages (46 & 47) of information about this process. It also includes the sample certificate wording and the placement area for your Seal.

Thanks Marian for your form.

Reply by kathy/ca on 6/10/13 10:54am
Msg #472760

Thank you, I get it now, very helpful information! n/m

Reply by Barbara___IL on 6/10/13 7:51am
Msg #472734

Thanks, Marian. I never thought of my handbook. I was overtired and just forgot about looking there...I feel like a dope! Thank you!!

Reply by Barbara___IL on 6/10/13 8:02am
Msg #472736

Oops..that was for Shoshana!!

Reply by Barbara___IL on 6/10/13 8:03am
Msg #472737

I better just stop typing..can't do anything right Smile.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/10/13 10:42am
Msg #472758

It's early in the morning Barbara, just grab a cup of espresso - that'll fix you right upSmile

Reply by MW/VA on 6/10/13 8:33am
Msg #472743

In VA we notaries can certify copies, but I wouldn't touch

doing copies of a POA. IMO it is better for people to have several originals signed (not legal advice, yada, yada, yada).

Reply by jojo_MN on 6/10/13 8:34am
Msg #472746

Wisconsin rules on copies.

If the notary is making a certified copy:

State of Wisconsin
County of (county where notarization took place)

I certify this is a true and correct copy of a document in the possession of (name of person who brought the document to be notarized) which was copied on: (date notarization took place).

Notary Signature

Notary Expiration Date

Notary Seal

Reply by BobtheElder on 6/11/13 7:24pm
Msg #472974

If it's like Ohio, the answer is no. They have to file it with the County Recorder and request Certified Copies from them....

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.