Notary Rotary
FLASH Update on ANS Late Payment
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by Earl Gage Jr on 6/25/13 11:41am
Msg #474636

Working for ANS was a huge lesson for me...I am now educated about using SC religiously rather than feeling great that I'm receiving an order. I can see that this was a huge task for little compensation, and that this is not a good company to work for if you want to get ahead in this business.

Date service rendered: April 4, 2013

Date check received: June 24, 2013

Date of check: June 6, 2013

Date check postmarked: June 21, 2013

Thanks for comments G/B/U. It certainly helped me to understand about only working for companies with four and five stars and not supporting the livelihoods of these low paying, slow paying companies. I now know the value of SC and reading this board daily. I've been in the business a very short time, but this accelerated my learning curve on how to stay afloat, and not help keep these undeserving low life SSs in business.

Some of you think I over reacted. I just get torqued when I'm lied to over and over and strung along by amateurs. Amanda held the check for two weeks. Apparently ANS lacks the financial reserves to pay their hard working notaries in a timely fashion as agreed.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/25/13 1:44pm
Msg #474658

Earl, glad you learned from this. Many of us have learned from the school of "hard knocks". Just to reiterate some valuable points about accepting signings (spoken generally to any reader, not just to Earl):

1. If you are at Costco, or at the doctor's office, or the car wash, etc., and you accept a signing - fine. Many of us have accepted signings on the go. However, *do not print docs* until you have researched the company in Signing Central AND via the orange search button. If the company has bad press, call them and email them that you are returning the signing because they_____________<whatever the case may be>. Tell them the truth: "I won't accept your signing because you have a bad payment record on Notary Rotary and other forums."

2. When you negotiate a fee, ask a lot of questions - inform the scheduler that the fee quoted is for the job *discussed.* If scheduler tells you he/she is not sure but *thinks* it's a single refi, 100 pages, no faxbacks, 15 mile distance be sure they understand the fee you are quoting is based exactly on that - single refi, 100 pages, no faxbacks, 15 mile distance. Make it crystal clear that if the edoc file received is different from what is discussed, you will be calling back to negotiate a different fee for a *different* job.

Many schedulers will cancel the job on the spot - why? Because they really DID know the signing details and thought they'd hook you into doing a lot of work than you normally would for that quoted fee. Beat them at their own game!!!

3. Ask a lot of questions - if you fail to ask the scheduler questions about the job - size of package, how many signers, distance, faxbacks, etc. - and accept a fee blindly, do not come here blaming the scheduler and screaming that you were bamboozled. If the scheduler claimed they didn't know all the details of the signing and you failed to inform the scheduler that your quote is based on the *discussion* then it's your fault. You didn't do your due diligence and have a duty to complete a job YOU failed to properly vet/price. Ask questions, ask questions......ASK QUESTIONS. Research via orange search button and Signing Central - before you print!!

4. If you accept work from a 2 star company, do not come here whining and complaining when a 2 star company acts like a.....2 star company!!! H E L L O ? ! ? ! What?!?! Did you think you were special and it's others who aren't getting paid but YOU"LL get paid? You weren't taken advantage of. You made a deliberate choice to work with a deadbeat. No one wants to hear it, no one feels sorry for you, and you'll only get blasted for being stupid. So keep it to yourself.

5. You are a business person, you are not an employee. Ensure that the company knows *your* policies and if they do not agree with your policies, don't contract with them. Price accordingly and do not accept what will not cover your costs, time, travel, and expertise.

6. Know your fee schedule. Know what you will charge for the various "extras" such as fax backs, extended travel distance, extra large packages, additional borrowers - printing additional borrower's packages, late night signings, last minute signings, etc.

7. Know your state's handbook backwards and forwards - inside and out. Lately, I've seen OPs ask a question that someone from ANOTHER STATE answers via a link to the OP's state handbook. HUH?!?! If your own state's handbook is silent on an issue, you need to say so, that way, others know you've at least done your due diligence and referred to your state's handbook. But it looks really bad when your question is answered in your handbook, yet a poster from another state is pointing out what's in YOUR state's handbook. Looks BAD, people!!!

I'll add to this list as I think of other important points.

Reply by John Tennant on 6/25/13 2:16pm
Msg #474667

Excellant post Lisa

Great reminder for the experienced that sometime get rushed as well as all of the Newbies.

Reply by 101livescan on 6/25/13 2:21pm
Msg #474669

LIKE! 5-STAR POST! n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/25/13 4:31pm
Msg #474683

homeless people on the side of freeway off ramps get more respect then we do. Where did they get their mindset from?

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 6/25/13 5:38pm
Msg #474694

#4 adding this bit of info...

Sometimes a company WILL pay you the first time or two, before they show their true colors, so yes, it could be true, they will pay quickly, in order to get you hooked in, then after you have a few outstanding invoices, they will start their usual slow pay/no pay approach. Better to just steer clear of those companie with lousy reps. If they are a two star company, it won't be long, before they flake out on you too.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 6/25/13 8:50pm
Msg #474720

Great post, LKT, however ....

4. If you accept work from a 2 star company, do not come here whining and complaining when a 2 star company acts like a.....2 star company!!!... No one wants to hear it, no one feels sorry for you, and you'll only get blasted for being stupid. So keep it to yourself.

NO! Don't keep it to yourself. What's the fun in that? It's good to read knucklehead NSAs getting blasted. Keeps us all on our toes. Just think how calm this forum would be if it weren't for this kind of post from an NSA who was so thrilled they got a call that they somehow thought they were most special NSA in the world and would be the only one ever to get paid: "STAY AWAY FROM (fill in the blank with name of 1-3 star company.) THEY DO NOT PAY!!!! Waa waa waa. I've e-mailed them and called them. Their VM is full. They won't take my calls. I talked to Amanda two weeks ago who said the check is in the mail. She lied. They all lie. Waa waa waa."

In fact, we should have a template made of what I just wrote. It would be at the top of the forum called "Knucklehead NSA," where the unpaid NSA would just click and fill in the name of the offending nonpayer. Make it simple. Save alot of time they could better use trying to chase down $$ they will never get.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.