Notary Rotary
First Dog Bite in My Notary Career
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 6/12/13 1:34pm
Msg #473032

This morning my first appointment was a "fix-it" document, rider to the deed of trust signed last week, that notary overlooked. Son asked me to call his mother before I arrived so she'd know I was coming and to contain the dog, which I did, after contacting him to confirm arrival time.

I arrive and open the front gate leading to her front door, and this huge pitbull rushes me and sinks his teeth first into my forearm, then my lower thigh just over the knee. I'm screaming my head off, PULL THIS DOG OFF ME! The woman comes out and grabs the dog by his collar, and he's having none of it, he still wants to devour me. It's a wonder I didn't soil my clothes on the spot.

We signed the rider, she begged me not to call Animal Control because they will destroy the dog. I'm taking inventory of my wounds and my torn Anne Klein slacks, then I call the son to tell him I must make the call to Animal Control because this is a scary dog, and his mother can't control him.

I leave mother's house, I have a 10am at local escrow office, and I'm shaking like a leaf, my heart still in my throat. My 10am is for an elderly man who says he wants to read all his documents before we sign.

Gladly, because I need medical attention and to make a police report.

Some days are just a little more exciting than others. Looking for my mace, it must be in the back of my SUV, I've never had to use it yet.

I'm fine, but now more aware that there are some people who don't have very nice dogs, and I'm around dogs all the time, and they like me rather than sink their teeth into my limbs. Had a child been in this dog's vicinity, he would have ripped a face off.

Scary stuff. Have a nice day everyone. Watch out for mean, people eating dogs!

Reply by Pam/NM on 6/12/13 1:46pm
Msg #473036

Scary stuff, indeed! Have you gone to the dr? I had a Great Dane knock me over..well, actually, he knocked the chair I was getting ready to sit down on over and I went down like the proverbial ton of bricks. He continued to jump and be unruly and I told the client that we would either have to go outside ourselves in the 30 degree weather with a wind of about 35 blowing (making the windchill WAY low), or he'd have to put doggie out. He actually considered going outside (it was only an annuity with about 15 pp).

Reply by Julianne Akyol on 6/12/13 2:05pm
Msg #473039

If this woman is so intent upon owning a dog, I suggest a stuffed one.

Hope all goes well for you and that the dog is not rabid. Must do doctor - their mouths are filthy, contrary to what others say. I hope you have calmed some by now - I am so sorry you had to go through this. Prayers for good healing.

Reply by HSH/WA on 6/12/13 2:16pm
Msg #473042

Re: So sorry this happened to you. It's part of my

confirmation call to ask that dogs be contained when I drive up and while signing - of course everybody's dog is so "lovable" no doubt including the one that bit you. I like dogs but not when I'm going into a yard or home especially at night. I'd definitely report the incident - who's next a kid retrieving a ball?

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/12/13 2:17pm
Msg #473043

Ditto Julianne...I hope you don't forget about the medical

bills AND did you notify the hiring party to make them aware they might have to contact their insurance carrier?

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/12/13 2:31pm
Msg #473044

Report it and get a lawyer if you have any issues at all.

Her Homeowner's insurance iwll cover it.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/12/13 2:35pm
Msg #473045

Re: Report it and get a lawyer if you have any issues at all.

AND loss earnings!

Reply by 101livescan on 6/12/13 2:44pm
Msg #473046

Re: Report it and get a lawyer if you have any issues at all.

I just want some new Anne Klein slacks. You can never find the perfect match to replace, and I have no time to shop today...gotta big hole on the side of right pant leg.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/12/13 2:56pm
Msg #473050

101: the problem is, you don't know what tomorrow may bring.

Report everything now, today. Be a good Girl Scout and be prepared.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/12/13 3:02pm
Msg #473052

Also, take photos of wounds, save pants. Agree with others

re HO ins. - most will pay for ONE dog-bite incident - and if she's already used hers for that Pit, they won't pay (in all probability.) Lawyer's the only recourse at that point.

Signed,

Been there, bitten and SOL with 2nd scenario.

Reply by Notarycat/CA on 6/12/13 2:49pm
Msg #473048

I think you should contact the lady's homeowner's insurance. You called and asked that the dog be contained, and she didn't do that. I'm not into suing people, but there is a time and a place. She (or her insurance) should pay for your medical care, and a new pair of Anne Klein slacks.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/12/13 2:53pm
Msg #473049

Nope, not a sue-er kind of person either, but the HO's

insurance will have an attorney who will be happy to understate benefits that 101 may be entitled to. It's his/her job. 101's fees can probably be paid out of the HO insurance policy. The negotiation will be fair and wrapped up quicker if 101 has an attorney.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/12/13 2:57pm
Msg #473051

Exactly. n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/12/13 3:17pm
Msg #473057

>>>> Son asked me to call his mother before I arrived so she'd know I was coming and to contain the dog, which I did, after contacting him to confirm arrival time. <<<<<

Nothing more needs to be said, Hell I could handle that case!

Reply by Lynne Landry on 6/12/13 3:22pm
Msg #473058

I am so sorry for you and the owner of the dog, it was a bad day for both of you. I love dogs and understand they want to protect their owner regardless of the breed of dog, it should be a requirement to put the up when the signing agent notifies the borrower that we are in route to the home for the closing.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 6/12/13 4:58pm
Msg #473070

I do not feel sorry for the owner AT ALL. She let it happen

to Cheryl (101). Willful negligence. She had opportunity to confine the beast and chose not to. You may argue she forgot. FORGOT?! As a pet owner you have responsibilities, especially with a biter. She did not put the dog away. She is totally responsible for this and should loose the dog as an incompetent pet owner. She is too stupid to have guests, let alone a pet. This is a ferocious dog and obviously not it's first go-round with a person. Animal control doesn't usually destroy a dog for its first incident - so this has probably happened before since she was saying they will put it down. Who is next? There is no leeway. Maybe Cheryl was the 'leeway.' Maybe Cheryl was the next victim because it wasn't taken away in the first place. People trump animals.

'Feel sorry for the owner' set me off.

Reply by linda/ca on 6/12/13 6:07pm
Msg #473087

Lynne Landry: Really?! "it should be a requirement to put

the dog up when the signing agent notifies the borrower that we are in route to the home for the closing."

So are you saying that we (livescan in this example) are partly to blame if we get bit by a dog if we don't call and let borrower know when we are enroute? A scheduled appointment is not satisfactory? A call from the Son is not satisfactory; although the phone call should not have had to be made to a responsible person in the first place, if she new livescan was coming? Especially if you have a dog that is always in the news for attacking people.

So on the long list of instructions, now calling borrower when enroute should be added to the list of things to do because people are too irresponsible to put their dog away.....

Reply by loandocs on 6/13/13 12:51am
Msg #473148

Put in a claim on her home owner's insurance immediately. So sorry you were bitten. That's terrible.

Reply by Clem/CA on 6/12/13 3:26pm
Msg #473059

Call animal control. Save a child's life. City Animal Control: 963-1513

Reply by Stoli on 6/12/13 4:27pm
Msg #473064

Call 911 and request ipecac for the dog - IMMEDIATELY! n/m

Reply by kathy/ca on 6/12/13 4:32pm
Msg #473065

Cheryl so sorry this happened to you, I have Golden Retreive

the best dogs in the world and the friendliest......Pitbulls scare the life out of me and I am not surprised this one attacked. One of my girls has 2 pits and thinks they are great, I wont even go in her home when the dogs are inside. They know to put them in the yard when I come to visit.

Reply by Karla/OR on 6/12/13 4:56pm
Msg #473069

So sorry Cheryl. Heed all the excellent advice here, especially the photos and reporting the dog.

I once worked at a law firm who had a case where a large dog bit a lady on her face. She was just gently petting her friends dog. Horrific pictures. I can only imagine the pain and scars emotionally and physically. Reporting the dog could prevent this from happening to another, and especially a child as someone here has already mentioned.

You were a real trooper to compose yourself and go on to your next appointment!

Take care.

Reply by janCA on 6/12/13 5:10pm
Msg #473073

I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner. Dogs can be trained, no matter the breed, and obviously this one was not. Yes, she will probably lose the dog, and unfortunately, that is her fault. And I believe, many Homeowner insurances will not cover if there is a certain breed in the household, and pitbulls are usually in that category. This may be coming out of the owner's pocket. I wouldn't want to be in her shoes, she screwed up royally!

Reply by 101livescan on 6/12/13 5:31pm
Msg #473076

Thank you for all the posts, pms and telecon calls. I first went to the Police Department and filed a report and they immediately contacted Animal Control. This is not the first event for this dog. The owner is too old and frail to be able to control a dog like this. Her son warned her to contain the dog and she did not.

I am already on the medical treatment for dog bites. I immediately put Hydrogen Peroxide on my wounds, I'll hold onto my britches abd my jacket (TU Susan), as evidence. They are torn beyond repair and are blood stained so they are history...I ran to Marshall's and got something to be able to work in this afternoon.

My head is still reeling, my equilibrium is a little imbalanced, I'd like a glass or two of pinot but too busy today to imbibe...later, it's my brother's birthday today, we'll celebrate tonight!

Thanks again, you all are so thoughtful to give me all your input...I immediately called the son and told him I had no other choice to make a report. This dog is not a nice dog for anyone to be around, especially not his own mother. He agreed, and offered to pay all my expenses, so he's a decent human being.

Reply by leeinla on 6/12/13 5:41pm
Msg #473080

You should see a doctor like everyone stated. You also should be compensated for your medical bills and time off work. I don't like attorneys, but in case you need one I can refer you to one that handled the same situation you were in. It really makes me angry when people are so careless with their dogs.
The pain and trauma that people face with dog bites is not funny. I hope you are not afraid of dogs now.

Reply by loancloser46 on 6/12/13 6:02pm
Msg #473084

Scars on my rear from same situation 3 years ago...

Borrower never even apologized !!!!!! He latched onto my butt and tore wool slacks and skin. Borrower stated (will never forget this) "Well he aint never done that before, must not like you." I am a huge dog lover but that was a real eye opener for me. I will not go to a house with a loose pitbull again.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/12/13 6:49pm
Msg #473095

Arriving late to offer you my concerns for your bite. It's

a shame that the dog wasn't controlled. I have a friend who has a male Basingi. He's bitten a couple of people, and she's been told that if he bites anyone again they will have to put him down. I'm glad they offered to pay all your medical expenses. At least you know they accepted responsibility for what happened. I hope you're ok. Dog attacks are really frightening.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/12/13 7:49pm
Msg #473105

So glad you were able to squeeze in a visit to your doctor - and that this wasn't any worse than it already was. Be careful, though, 'cause tomorrow may be tougher than today in a variety of respects. Celebrating with your bro this evening should be good "medicine", but you might be a bit sore tomorrow. A little well-deserved self-indulgence (and rest) might be in order... Wink

Reply by Kat2857/CA on 6/12/13 8:56pm
Msg #473125

Never use hydrogen peroxide....................

For years, people have used hydrogen peroxide to clean out wounds. Sometimes it’s used straight and other times diluted with water. Either way, its bubbling action makes it look like it’s doing its job by loosening up dead material and cleaning out bad bacteria.

The problem is that hydrogen peroxide not only does this but also damages the healthy cells trying to heal the wound. It can therefore slow down healing, making the wound stay open longer, which can lead to more infections.

See a Dr. for proper cleaning and debridement, to prevent scaring.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 6/12/13 11:09pm
Msg #473136

FYI: Betadine has replaced Hydrogen Peroxide.

I know, it is hard to give it up. :o) We were raised using it!

Betadine works better and is readily available to the lay-person now. You can get it any place that sells first aide supplies.

I am so shocked at your attack Cheryl.
All notaries should have a first aide kit with betadine in the trunk. Just make sure to have some wipes available too because it is orange in color.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 6/12/13 5:59pm
Msg #473083

By all means, report it to Animal Control

If the son knew he had to tell his mother to cage the dog before you got there, there must be some history of prior problems. If she was begging you not to call Animal Control because they would put the dog down, that's further proof that this is not the first incident.

Pit bulls - aka American Staffordshire Terriers - are not aggressive by nature; they have to be trained to be that way. It's possible that this one was trained (poorly) as a guard dog, but that's not YOUR problem. This sounds like a very dangerous dog that it is doing what it was trained to do. It may be that it needs to be put down because it's too dangerous, but usually a court decides that - and the decision is based on past history. Sounds like there is definitely a past history there.

Although it's doubtful that the dog is rabid, you should get to a doctor and make sure the wounds are cleaned properly - they could very easily become infected otherwise. If these people don't voluntarily cover your medical bills (and the cost of the slacks), you should consider contacting their insurance company. Be aware that in some areas, certain breeds (such as pit bulls) are NOT covered by HO insurance.

A suggestion - in the future, if someone tells you they need to cage or otherwise put the dog up before you get there, you might consider calling them from the car when you get there to make sure it's safe to come in...

Reply by KLPsandiego on 6/12/13 6:02pm
Msg #473085

Re: By all means, report it to Animal Control

Do any of you carry pepper spray? I am Newbie. thank you!

Reply by jba/fl on 6/12/13 6:11pm
Msg #473089

My thoughts on pepper spray

Now you have a mad dog who can't help but sneeze. Best to follow suggestions to ask all dogs be put away. The little ones do great harm also, and are face biters. Any dog, most gentle lab included, can be aggressive under the right circumstances.

This pit that bit today may have been fine at one time. But this lady is older and may have shown hesitation on an issue once and now the dog knows he is the alpha male and she has lost her position. From the previous comments, this was not an unexpected issue. Sounds as though the son might be relieved that this dog will no longer be a threat to his mother.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/12/13 6:57pm
Msg #473096

***Be aware that in some areas, certain breeds (such as pit bulls) are NOT covered by HO insurance. ****

You are probably right about that Mike/TX. But...it sure would not be a bad idea to see what can be found out.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 6/12/13 8:18pm
Msg #473111

GNW: I notarized two letters last year to insurance carriers from former pit bull owners that promised they no longer have the dogs.

Reply by linda/ca on 6/12/13 6:15pm
Msg #473090

101livescan/ Sorry for your scary expererience. n/m

Reply by CJ on 6/12/13 8:09pm
Msg #473109

Re: 101livescan/ Sorry for your scary expererience.

It makes me mad that she begged you not to call animal control, because they would put him down. So basically, she is willing to risk a person's life, so that she can have her out-of-control pet. If she knew that "the next time is it", and she knew you were coming over, and she STILL did not put the dog away, I hate to say this, but she is a selfish idiot, and her house is a tragedy waiting to happen. When people tell me they have to put the dog away, I get the impression that it barks and jumps, not that it's a genuine danger. I'm glad you are basically okay, and that you are not going to be tomorrow's headline.

Reply by ikando on 6/12/13 8:27pm
Msg #473112

Re: 101livescan/ Sorry for your scary expererience.

First, Cheryl, whenever you stop this evening, I hope you plan to take a nice hot bath in epsom salts to help draw out whatever toxins have accumulated in your system from the bite and all the other stresses and activities you've put your body through today. It will help you not be so sore tomorrow. Sounds like you've been tested to the max.

Second, although I don't disagree with anything other writers have said, I had a thought that maybe the owner DID try to put the dog away, and because she was frail and stressed, the dog took advantage of the situation to show his dominance? We just had a story on the news locally about a 5-year-old boy who had survived the Moore tornado and was staying with friends of the family. He was crying and in a vulnerable position while tying his shoes, and the family Mastiff (a protective breed) actually killed him. The dog was shot, but the family was devastated, needless to say.

I, personally, am not afraid of pitbulls or big dogs in general. I guess I've been lucky that the people I've dealt with usually automatically put away their dogs. But even my chihuahua gets aggressive when someone's in his territory, and has managed to bite holes in workmen's jeans before I could corral him.

Reply by 101livescan on 6/13/13 12:03am
Msg #473144

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I went to ER at Goleta Valley Hospital for an expert look at my wounds, final dressing and got some antibiotics special to dog's saliva and considering that they sit around and do all day with their unmentionables. Infection was my biggest concern, since I had staff infection in January I picked up at Sycamore Hot Springs. It was a long road back to health and stamina.

My blood pressure soared to 170, I've managed to keep it down to 129 for months. That in and of itself scared me beyond comprehension. I would like my clothes replaced, they are now blood stained and ripped with big holes in my jacket and slacks. The dog barely sunk his teeth into my flesh, no stitches, due to my clothing, thanks to strong fabric.

It's a wonder he didn't bring me to my knees, as I was walking down some brick steps from the gate to the front door and I suddenly fell week and dizzy as he lunged at me and sunk his teeth into me. Scariest experience of the past decade in this business. Once a couple of years ago when I was posting a foreclosure property in the ghetto gang area of Lompoc, a pit pull showed up in the alley and I raised my arms in the air and growled at him. He turned and ran as fast as he could away from me. What a miracle! I found powers I did not know I possessed.

My physician in ER today was wonderful, patched me up, took my vitals and assured me I'll make it another 40 years as a career notary, just make sure to avoid pit bulls...

The ER and Police contacted Animal Control, and the dog was picked up for impound. Good news, according to ER doctor, canine rabies have not been an issue for 80 years in the US. So don't worry if you do get rushed by a pit bull or other aggressive breed, just have a can of mace or a big boot to stop him in his tracks.

Have a great mid month. I did finish that signing and 6 more today in spite of these obstacles. My 7:30 is delayed til tomorrow, thank God.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 6/13/13 5:35am
Msg #473151

Sorry for the scare and glad you're OK (just shaken up); also glad AC nipped this "nipper" in the bud.
Could have been far worse for someone.

My brother has Cane Corso breed (2, father/offspring); both are extremely protective, especially of my nieces. My brother built a large pen in the backyard, but I hope he has excellent home owner's insur for the unpredictable. Bottom line: I don't go near 'em.

BTW, when I'm rushing I sometimes carry docs in one hand and bag in other; now I will ensure my bag is well in hand with docs inside. Because I will have no problem using the full weight if necessary.

Reply by Juan Jimenez on 6/13/13 8:42am
Msg #473157

Another good reason to carry pepper spray.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.