Notary Rotary
Homeowners Insurance, Dogs and Trampolines
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 6/13/13 8:18am
Msg #473153

Eight years ago when I was shopping for insurance for my purchase of my current home, I filled out a questionnaire that asked what kind of dogs I owned and did I have a trampoline, and some other questions I'd have to research now. They didn't ask about mountain lion, bear, rattlesnakes, coyote, bobcat, and turkey vultures of which I have numerous roaming about. All dangerous varmints who have visited here and caused one kind of nuisance or another.

There were certain breeds of dog I could not own, no problem, I didn't have a dog then. Now I have Henri, the white Golden Labrador and two feral cats who monitor the rat/mice population around here, and a trampoline which I use for low impact exercise. Trampolines were not allowed on the prequalification questionnaire along with Pit bulls, German shepherds, Rottweillers, among others.

So I'm completely amazed that people even own dogs that could do so much harm to guests, the postman, the meter readers, appraisers, UPS, FEDEX and any other service people who come to properties on a regular basis. Just saying, it's another prequalification (re. dogs) I'll me adding to my intro delivery when I confirm appointments.

I made it through the night and I'm starting my antibiotics to ward off possible infection from nasty dog.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/13/13 8:32am
Msg #473155

So sorry about your experience yesterday, but from my

experience Pit Bull's get a bad rap. There was talk of making the breed illegal, so people flocked to own them. I've met a few on signings & they are some of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. I have a neighbor that had a Pit Bull rescue. He was another story, because he had been trained as a dog fighter. He didn't have any major issues with people, but I had a small dog at the time and had to be on the lookout. These people were responsible, and kept the dog under control.
By your description of "home", you are certainly aware that life always has a certain amt. of risk.
I know this post is off-topic for the forum, except that it is certainly work related.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 6/13/13 11:07am
Msg #473162

<<"I'm completely amazed that people even own dogs that could do so much harm">>

As foretold, we live in a world/society where peoples' "rights" take precedence over everything.
People (and sometimes with good reason) want to be feared; sometimes owning a mean pet invokes that fear. In my own neighborhood, I see people walking around with the animals you mentioned and they probably feel "safer" somehow.

One of my neighbors was walking her "baby" Rottweiller (enormous thing) and I confronted her about picking up behind her dog (you know the kind). We speak different languages but I knew she understood me. I told her I didn't want to walk outside my door into her dog's mess! She was holding 2 dogs - on leashes. Guess which of them she 'let go'? If you said the "baby," you're right. She was basically saying "I don't like what you have to say." It caught me off guard, but the dog was still a puppy, so very frisky and inquisitive; it just ran over to the bush in front of my window (so it could do more "damage" I'm sure). I didn't flinch and told her she'd better hold onto her dog. I was busy & didn't report. But I realize I should have told the condo assn; because when it happens again, I'll realize I may have been able to prevent the encounter.

As for Shepherds ("pit bulls" of the '70s), I was bit by one as a child when visiting a great aunt in the "country." They don't do shots and all that. So my parents were very concerned and took me to hospital. Fortunately, the "tough skins" prevailed (remember those?); but that bite left a lasting impression you can believe!

Animals act on instinct; so even the "nicest" of dogs can't be trusted not to react the way they know how to if they feel threatened - or feel that their masters are. A friend of my mom was bitten by a G. Shepherd at the woman's co-worker's home. My mom's friend was just bringing food to her co-worker and the shrill voice of the stranger set the dog in protect mode. Amazingly, the co-worker, who was very sorry didn't want it reported either. I don't get it. And I won't buy the "he won't hurt you." I wait outside for as long as it takes for the owners to put their pets away.

Again, I'm sorry that this happened, Cheryl and wish you some rest and peace this week.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 6/13/13 11:08am
Msg #473163

Oh, and I had to explain hazard/homeowner's insurance to borrower on a signing yesterday.
This gives new meaning to "hazard!"

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/13/13 11:45am
Msg #473166

Be careful there - Hazard insurance is basically a standard

Fire policy. Homeowner's (HO3, HO4, etc) includes liability (dogs) among other coverages. Please don't confuse two entirely different things.

Hazard insurance is required by lenders which, protects their interest (i.e., house burns down, loan paid off, bal to owners); dog bites delivery/Notary/guest and sues - no damage to house - no insurance.

There are myriad other explanations and examples, but I believe the basic tenets of personal and commercial lines haven't changed much over the years, while various coverages have been added/outmoded over the years. Just my take.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 6/13/13 12:16pm
Msg #473175

Re: Be careful there - Hazard insurance is basically a standard

Yes, Susan you're right. Everyone needs to know what endorsements can be added to their individual policies.

Fortunately, in speaking to the borrower, we were only discussing lender property damage (no dog bites!).
They don't consider other property "hazards" other than fire??

My condo has a master insurance policy for the actual structure against, fire, flood, etc.; but I have to have a separate Owner (what some call Renter's) policy for contents. Better get out my addendum pages and actually review sometimes. I can only guess what's NOT in there!

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/14/13 1:13am
Msg #473300

"They don't consider other property "hazards" other than

fire??" My reference was to the old Standard Fire Policy which, I believe has (or had) a few other hazards, but without the policy, who can say.

As I understood Condo products, they are a form of Home Owners' policy, only from the paint in. That is, the structure is covered for the listed losses, subject to the listed exclusions, and all according to the definitions listed.

Applaud your diving right into your policy and see what's there. I'm of the opinion that a renter's policy might differ from a Condo Policy due to exactly what you questioned - that little Liability thing...<hahahaha>

Reply by ToniK on 6/13/13 7:11pm
Msg #473251

Oh my!!! She let her dog loose as a threatening gesture? She going to come across the wrong person one day who might just ball up a fist and pound her face in....

I love Rotts and Dobermans. I wouldve had one of those if my Apt complex didnt have them on the breed restrictions.

I think Chihuahuas are vicious dogs. My neighbor had two of them and when I had my Cocker spaniel puppy (he was only 4 months), her dog ran up and bit my cocker. I cant stand chihuahuas, I hate them with a passion.

Reply by HSH/WA on 6/13/13 5:06pm
Msg #473222

Re: Just a heads up, as far as the BO is concerned

Fluffy (with the 6" teeth and the thousand pound bite) loves everybody so you having nothing to fear. I always ask that they put the dog away while I'm there but very few do. But the worst yet is a little guy who fell in love with the leg the whole time I was there. The BOs thought it was so cute.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 6/13/13 5:24pm
Msg #473227

Re: Just a heads up, as far as the BO is concerned

And you know what's funny, couple of weeks ago had incidences where 2 adorable golden Retrievers were carrying on when I came to borrowers' and they contained both in cage. After the signing, they were fast asleep in their cages like little lambs!

Another dog (can't remember if same owner or not) in the kitchen with us was "told" by his owners to 'go to sleep.' During signing, I hear this snoring. I say, "Is that him?" Guess I was no real threat 'cause "Fido" curled on his bed and was out like a light!

Reply by MW/VA on 6/13/13 5:33pm
Msg #473231

I just came from a signing with a English Mastiff puppy. He

must have been 140 lbs. at 8 mos. old. I love dogs, and he just wanted to say "hello", but the owner made sure he didn't knock me over. :-)

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 6/13/13 7:10pm
Msg #473250

If a dog would knock me over, I could not get up!

This would be due to my artificial knees!

Reply by parkerc/ME on 6/13/13 8:05pm
Msg #473263

I have a beagle. But when ever anyone asks,

does he/she bite...I always say "if anything has teeth, it can bite, so yes she can...and so can I !" :-) (Hope my homeowner's policy won't cancel me.)

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 6/14/13 12:30pm
Msg #473376

Re: I have a beagle. But when ever anyone asks,

I believe it's all a matter of how the pups are raised. I remember when I was getting my first rottweiler, the ladies in my office thought I was crazy to get "a dog like that" because my son was 5. Most recently we had a rottweiler and a pitbull. Both are misunderstood breeds. I raised mine around kids and family. They were far from viscious. I am leary when I go to a borrower's home and they have dogs, only because the dog does not know me. Once inside, everything is good. I, fortunately, have not had any bad experiences with peoples pets. We also have to remember that there are some people out there who really shouldn't have animals of any kind. JMO

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.