Notary Rotary
I just want to work!
Notary Discussion History

I just want to work!
Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by DebraOro/CA on 6/4/13 2:45pm
Msg #472201

I just want to work!

I feel like all I have done in the past 6 months is sign up, sign up, sign up !
Is my face ugly?
Is my nose lopsided?
Is my hair color wrong?
I have spent 30 times the money getting started in this industry than what
I have earned.
My soap box today is labeled "IMPOSSIBLE".....
Bleh..............

thank you for letting me vent.........

Reply by ananotary on 6/4/13 2:48pm
Msg #472202

What county are you in? n/m

Reply by DebraOro/CA on 6/4/13 2:59pm
Msg #472203

Re: What county are you in?

Right at the border line of Los Angeles and Orange Counties.

Reply by ananotary on 6/4/13 3:25pm
Msg #472208

I'm not too far from there. Just keep on marketing!

Are you new? Sometimes it just takes time to be established.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/4/13 5:51pm
Msg #472242

That area is SATURATED with well established notaries. Did you do you research before starting out? New notaries have a hard time getting new accounts, much like any new business with no experience or reputation. But that area is the one of the hubs of title and escrow companies.... you have a LOT of competition.

Instead of just singing up with places, have you done any physical networking? Have you actually walked in to t a Title or Escrow company and introduced yourself? Or, may written them letters with your business card?

Reply by DebraOro/CA on 6/5/13 3:00pm
Msg #472360

Thanks for the suggestions Marion,
I have been working in Escrow for the past 8 years and became a Notary 6 years
ago, so I have tons of experience with Loan Signings.
You are correct, the competition where I live is Mind Blowing !

Reply by Rita Adu on 6/4/13 3:35pm
Msg #472209

Please be patient. Most of us have been on board for many years. I know that when I first began, I submitted hundreds of resumes trying to get my name out there. It takes years to get established and profitable. In the meantime, please check these boards so you can become as knowledgable about the business as possible. The race is not given to the swift.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/4/13 3:39pm
Msg #472211

Original post important for newbies to read...

Thank you for taking the time to post, as new people need to see your perspective on what's going on in this business. It may not be you or anything you're doing. It's just a rough time in this industry to break in, as interest rates begin to rise. Plus you're in a market with tons and tons of competition. To add to the situation, "XYZ" is in the process of holding a good number of NSA training classes in this region, so it may get worse before it gets better.

As someone who is in the trenches, you have more credibility on this issue than the rest of us. I've been trying to warn people about this for a long time, 'cause I hate to see people go through what you're dealing with. I should probably add, that the situation will vary from region to region, but over all, I don't expect the volume of business to remain at levels it has been at for the last year or so going forward for the next several years. There will always be some refinance and purchase activity, but when a large portion of the population has locked in a very low interest rate, unless they're planning to move or have a situation where they need to take cash out from their equity (one thing that got us into trouble last time), those folks won't have a lot of incentive to make a change to a higher interest rate.

Having said that, I've learned to not underestimate the creativity of the lending community and their ability to come up with reasons - and tactics - to generate more loan activity. But if I were just trying to break into this industry for the first time right now, I don't know that I'd want to bet my future on that.

Sorry for not being more encouraging. However, you never know when that breakthrough might hit. It could happen at any time. Only you know what your goals are and what level of results will make this worth it for you to stay the course.

I just wish there were some way for people to read your post BEFORE they dive into the deep end and expect to make the kind of money being promoted by others who make *their* money selling training programs and supplies to notaries...

Reply by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 6/4/13 3:56pm
Msg #472216

Re: Original post important for newbies to read...

Who the hell is XYZ?? I see you folks posting about it often...

Reply by parkerc/ME on 6/4/13 6:50pm
Msg #472257

That that shall not be spoken....

(NNA)

Reply by Felice Rochester on 6/4/13 10:52pm
Msg #472287

Re: Original post important for newbies to read...

I also am new to this. I was very discouraged, but then I received a call.
I am doing my 1st loan signing on Friday.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 6/4/13 11:13pm
Msg #472291

Congratulations!! n/m

Reply by Belinda/CA on 6/4/13 3:44pm
Msg #472213

Being self-employed is HARD work. Hang in there.

It is a difficult time to be busting in to the business.
There is nothing wrong with you. It is the nature of self-employment, marketing, evaluation, and retention in an oversaturated field. There are a myriad of variables that determine success or failure.

There are those who make being a NSA sound like easy money. It is not easy money, as you can attest to.
It is diligent marketing and diligent error-free paperwork. In time it can pay off.
I am glad you felt you could share with us. :o)
The best of everything to you.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 6/4/13 4:52pm
Msg #472231

Debra, can't tell if your nose is out of joint . . .

Is your profile in order? Maybe "lop-sided noses" are IN this month Smile

Seriously, it was 6 mo for me - and I believe 4-6 is avg. But there's lots you can do in the meanwhile: Have you created a web page? Networked at Chamber events? Handed out biz cards? Done GNW (general notary work) to get accustomed to the certificates and language?

I actually saw a "strange" thing at the gas pump recently; someone posted her business card in the narrow groove up above the pumps (where the large ad signs are). I was a "captive" audience while waiting for the fuel nozzle to relieve itself in my tank.

You may have to "think outside of the box" until you can make the necessary industry contacts. Hang in there ( I hope you have another job)

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 6/4/13 6:49pm
Msg #472256

Wow! Creative thinking. Gas pump advertising! n/m

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 6/4/13 9:52pm
Msg #472280

Re: Debra, can't tell if your nose is out of joint . . .

Having worked in merchandising and been one of those people who changes the signs on the tops of gas pumps, I can say that the card probably won't be seen. Many people are too short to see the bottom of the sign. Some gas stations are diligent in cleaning up. Others are not. I suspect that those who clean up would remove it quickly.

The chains are not friendly to locals with business cards. The staff can say "sure" but if you go there the next day, the manager has removed them and thrown them in the trash. I have tried this with leaving cards at counters. For notaries, I have seen that some places are natural for people to grab cards. At other places, the cards just stay around. Most of the time, there is no rhyme or reason. The best thing to do when leaving cards is to leave them where others have left theirs, asking first.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 6/4/13 10:27pm
Msg #472285

Illegal advertising: Card clutter

It's like those illegal signs in the grass medians on the road. They are always saying biz owners will be fined for placing, and to remove. Would personally not recommend (nor the "gas card"); but "public official" seem to be at forefront with their political promo signs . . . AND

I'd be bored stiff if all those "LOSE 20 LBS IN 45 DAYS," "APPLY NOW - LOW MORTGAGE" and PAINTING or HOUSECLEANING signs weren't there while I'm idling at the traffic lights (sighing profusely).

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/4/13 7:41pm
Msg #472265

My .02 FWIW

1. Keep contacting companies - it does take a while.

2. Buy a premier membership here - your listing is way down in the basic section - far too many notaries to call ahead of you

3. Fix your profile. You need to make it more professional.

JMO

Reply by Clem/CA on 6/4/13 10:42pm
Msg #472286

Try the new see through monkey suit

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.