Notary Rotary
I revised my profile,
Notary Discussion History

I revised my profile,
Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by Sandra G Holland on 6/17/13 9:17pm
Msg #473734

I revised my profile,

making sure that it was in nice, neat paragraphs. I checked it today, but it is not neat looking. It looks like a huge novel with no paragraphs. What happened?

Reply by anotaryinva on 6/17/13 9:27pm
Msg #473738

You're right, I didn't bother reading it, it's too long.

Reply by ananotary on 6/17/13 9:37pm
Msg #473740

I agree, way too long. I would skip a profile this long. n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 6/17/13 10:00pm
Msg #473745

how did you find it? n/m

Reply by ananotary on 6/17/13 10:10pm
Msg #473746

Re: how did you find it?....Google for me. n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 6/18/13 9:22am
Msg #473780

Had a moment there...so sad to see the mind....?? n/m

Reply by sealed/CA on 6/18/13 12:42am
Msg #473763

Sorry Sandra. I couldn't read it either. You will need to cut out most of it and make it more concise.
Just my opinion.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 6/18/13 7:37am
Msg #473773

The question wasn't about the length. It was about the paragraphs. It wouldn't be that long if it wasn't for the lack of paragraphs.

Reply by Lisa Cirillo on 6/18/13 8:14am
Msg #473774

Hi Sandra, when I revised my profile, I believe I double spaced between to create the paragraphs. Not sure why you didn't get paragraphs. Also, the profile reads as an auto-biography. I'm not so sure a potential client will read all the way through. If they're anything like me, I just said "oh crap, too much to read" and stopped reading.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 6/18/13 10:10am
Msg #473790

Thanks, Lisa. I'll try doublespacing.

Without looking right now, I believe that the only autobiography was in one sentence, but I'll doublecheck.

Reply by ToniK on 6/18/13 8:28am
Msg #473776

Set it up in Word document first. However, no one is going to read all that. It seems most of your profile is testimonies from people who have worked for you. Did you really have to list every single one of them?

Also take into consideration that NR may have a set perimeter for profiles. I've seen your profile on the numbers site, it's really long.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 6/18/13 9:31am
Msg #473782

That's where I found it too. In this fast-paced world, less

is more when every minute counts. Way too long with more info than anyone needs, and way too many "comments".

Reply by jba/fl on 6/18/13 9:30am
Msg #473781

I think others are telling you, "Less is more."

I am a minimalist....I also like to think I write good headlines, which strongly attacts others to read what you write. Some good tips:

http://www.becomingminimalist.com/

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 6/18/13 10:13am
Msg #473791

Re: I think others are telling you, "Less is more."

All profiles are a work in progress and can be improved. I didn't list "all" the references. I have not decided which of the rest to delete. I wanted to show that the ones who have less education and the ones who may be loan officers themselves all liked the work and the explanation. I want to reduce to three or five, but I am still working on it. I wanted to see how it looked on the page and would revise a day or two later. I did put it in Word first. The numbers site has the exact verbage as this one does. Earlier, I had written directly onto the site but I wanted one for everybody this time. Thanks for the advice. I know about editing. I just haven't decided exactly what to edit!

Reply by jba/fl on 6/18/13 10:28am
Msg #473794

I have another thought...I see it is a work in progress

and that is wonderful. It should be an ongoing concern and updated as well.

I wanted my profile to be so that my phone number and my address would show all at the same time. I just want people to find me, FIND Me, then they can ask questions all they wish. Since I've been doing this a long time, I let longevity speak the volumes.

You are on the right track...look forward to your final, temporary, result.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 6/18/13 10:34am
Msg #473802

Re: I have another thought...I see it is a work in progress

Yes, jba, I thought about putting my phone number and address first but I realized since it is already in the question section, I didn't repeat it. I'm sure I'll change this several times as I have time. Right now, with everybody being slow with getting work, I saw a chance. In my career, I never asked for references since I was self-employed. Occasionally, someone would want one. I would have to scramble and decide which customers to ask. I have been asking several notary customers/borrowers lately. I was surprised, not only how willing they were to do it but how close they were to describing my true personality. I doubt that all my friends would describe me that way.

Reply by ToniK on 6/18/13 11:15am
Msg #473813

well if you wanted feedback, why not just get a linkedin profile where people can leave recommendations or create a yelp listing where folks can leave ratings about your business then linked all those together onto your profile.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 6/18/13 1:08pm
Msg #473830

Because, Toni, it is my choice whom to ask. I wanted responses from the good people here, the ones who are used to answering questions because they are used to working with documents, have experience with this website and know what they are doing. I got the answer I sought. So sorry you are having a bad day.

Reply by ToniK on 6/18/13 2:34pm
Msg #473858

there there *pats head*

I see you misunderstood my response. But thats ok. Have a good one...

Reply by anotaryinva on 6/18/13 3:01pm
Msg #473864

You can lead a horse.......

Toni's post was totally misunderstood. She gave you suggested way to shorten your profile with the ability to link all of your recommendations. Sounds like someone else is having a bad day.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 6/18/13 9:00pm
Msg #473918

Re: You can lead a horse.......

I received several suggestions in these posts, which I am taking to heart.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.