Notary Rotary
If you have a gmail account
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by JPH13/MO on 6/30/13 11:51am
Msg #475189

Mine wouldn't let me in this morning thru Outlook and I got a pop-up saying to access it thru the web. When I did it showed an alert saying an unknown computer had tried to log into my account and asked if it was me. It wasn't, so I went thru the steps to add a 2nd layer of protection, including for Outlook and my apps.

Another reason I like Google email over others, besides that it allows me to send larger files that most other free email accounts.

So, if you have a gmail account and haven't gone thru the 2nd layer of protection steps, I highly recommend it, and if you are looking for another email account, you may want to consider gmail.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/30/13 12:10pm
Msg #475191

I have one and have had no problems since I got it when it first came out.

Reply by JPH13/MO on 6/30/13 12:13pm
Msg #475193

Hi James, it's Jillian! We seem to meet often on forums lately lol. If you didn't do their 2nd layer of protection, I recommend it.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/30/13 3:14pm
Msg #475202

For Gmail" or yahoo accounts.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/30/13 11:00pm
Msg #475227

2-Step Verification

I agree....Google's 2-Step Verification process is the best!! My Yahoo account was hacked. Someone tried to hack my Google account but Google stopped them before they got into my email. This is before I enabled the 2-Step Verification process.

For those wondering what that is: When you log into your gmail account with username and password, you are taken to another screen where a message says a verification code will be called to your phone ending ***-***-**51. Three seconds later, your phone rings and gives you the code which you enter into the box and your email opens. If you miss the call, it WILL go to voicemail. The code can be text to you. This is an optional feature that you must enable. Otherwise, you would log into your account with just username and password - like with any other email account. At first, you have to remember to keep your phone near you when logging in....but you get used to it.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 6/30/13 11:31pm
Msg #475230

Re: 2-Step Verification

I just added the 2-step verification last week as I got a warning that someone tried to login into my account. They give you the location and mine was from Argentina.

Fortunately, I don't use that account and only opened it when I purchased my cell phone.

When you enter the verification code you will be asked if you trust the computer you are signing in from. If you say yes, the code will not be required in the future.

If you request it, they can send you a small number of "extra" verification codes in case you are out of the country using a public computer, and don't have cell phone access to get a code texted to you.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 7/1/13 9:07am
Msg #475245

Re: 2-Step Verification: chicken & egg

I would be concerned that if something happened to my phone, I might want to use my email to help solve the problem. I get nervous when the failure of one system can bring another system down with it.

Reply by JPH13/MO on 7/1/13 12:51pm
Msg #475282

Re: 2-Step Verification: chicken & egg

As mentioned above, you can make it so that your normal computer is "trusted" and no code is then necessary unless you are on a different computer. Also, if you use Outlook like I do there is an initial step that produces a code you can use to access emails using Outlook and no additional codes are needed for those once you add that code as your new password in Outlook.

I just loved that it stopped all emails after a suspicious account tried to access my account, and that Outlook said to access the account via web to clear that up. I changed my password and then did the verification processes to make it safe again.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.