Notary Rotary
Interesting Background Check info
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by ikando on 6/26/13 9:22am
Msg #474756

While researching something else, I ran across this review of background checking companies. I note that those which are suggested to notaries are not listed (i.e., Lexis-Nexis). I also notice the variety of levels of checks and the fees charged. Thought this might be of interest to others on this board, and I am not recommending anything to anyone.

http://background-check-services-review.toptenreviews.com/

Reply by 101livescan on 6/26/13 9:49am
Msg #474761

Screening people

These are online background checking services. There are as many of these as there are ID Fraud prevention sites. The only ones that require SSN and DL verification are Lexis Nexus and the NNA background check. These check for criminal activity both statewide and nationwide. Law firms use Lexis Nexus to verify even their client's current criminal activity before/during taking on their case. Banks and title companies want to know that the notaries, appraisers, escrow and title officers have clean shorts before they will fund a loan.

Any one can subscribe to background checking services online as you have linked You do not need SSN or DL to check on people. Credit checking can only be done with the individual's permission to do so, and credit investigation is only permissible by having an account with a credit bureau, with a signed authorization by the consumer.

All kinds of background checking going on out there. A lot of folks hire private investigators to check on spouses, employees, neighbors, etc. if they suspect there is illegal or suspicious activity or behavior. Private investigators are licensed by individual states, and they themselves are screened pretty stealthily for background, integrity.

Let's face it, there are a lot of people out there with criminal mindsets, but hopefully we've screened them out of becoming notaries, at least in CA. Did any of you read the yahoo story about the woman who married a man who claimed to be a psychiatrist from Beverly Hills, he was kind, sweet, attentive. But then the bills started coming in the mail. She laid out $50K in his behalf to keep the wolves away from the front door. He disappeared and surfaced in Canada, just disappeared until he was found out and arrested. He's out now, probably looking for another "victim" to swoon and romance.

Good thing we can background check people. Can't take people on face value any more.

Reply by FGX/NJ on 6/26/13 10:49am
Msg #474768

DAYTON — LexisNexis Risk & Analytics Group Inc. will pay $13.5 million and overhaul its Accurint background-search product to settle a national class-action suit, according to the Law360 website.

The suit claims the company sold reports to debt collectors without following consumer-protection laws, the site said.

About 31,000 class members reportedly will get a payment from the $13.5 million deal under the proposed settlement.

Reply by 101livescan on 6/26/13 11:02am
Msg #474771

OUCH! n/m

Reply by Christine/OK on 6/26/13 12:05pm
Msg #474780

Great info! Thanks for sharing. Big Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.