Notary Rotary
New Deadbeat Collection Technique
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 6/23/13 11:58am
Msg #474392

I have a friend who has been so frustrated with not being paid for almost 3 months now that he finally texted the SS owner threatening to place calls to the escrow company for payment first thing on Monday.

I thought, how ingenious. In all my years of being in this business, I'd never thought of doing this. Seems like there are more deadbeat signing services on the radar screen currently than ever before.

I doubt the SS will pay up, but at least the Escrow Company gets to hear one more time what a dirty rotten scoundrel their SS vendor is.

Reply by Luckydog on 6/23/13 12:17pm
Msg #474393

Good Luck...I have tried that twice in my life...the title company is annoyed you are bothering them, and #2 they tell you they paid the SS, take it up with them, not their issue. Both times were not very nice and could care less. Their loan got closed, and they paid, and not their concern.

Reply by 101livescan on 6/23/13 12:31pm
Msg #474401

Can't blame the notary for trying everything! He's been lied to for a week now, he's given up on being paid by SS. They are notorious for not paying their notaries, even after 45 business days. He's only one of many. It's what these companies do these days, pay themselves and stiff the notary. Guess there is always new blood out there, a sucker born every minute to accept work from these losers.

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/23/13 12:33pm
Msg #474402

<<<...the title company is annoyed you are bothering them, and #2 they tell you they paid the SS, take it up with them, not their issue.>>>

Since the TC is benefiting from the notaries work, it sort of IS their issue. Personally, I don't care WHO hired me.....I will try to collect from whomever benefited from the transaction. If I loan you money and you give the money to your cousin to pay me back, and the cousin spends the money, I come back to YOU. I don't go after your cousin, I go after YOU for the money as it is your responsibility to see that the money is in my hands. You can then go after your cousin....but I'm going after you for my money - you borrowed the money....not your cousin.

Same premise with the TC.....they call the SS, the SS calls the notary. The notary sends docs back to the TC. TC pays the SS, SS bails to Jamaica.......I go after the TC - it's their responsibility to see that I'm paid. TC can then chase the down the SS in Jamaica.

That's how I'd handle it.

Reply by SharonMN on 6/24/13 10:00am
Msg #474495

Actually, LKT, your analogy is faulty. In your example, the original contract was between me and you (the cousin's role is more like the mailman). In the loan world, there are two contracts: between title and SS, and between SS and you. There is no contract between title and you, so title has no responsibility to pay you (kind of like if I hire and pay a cleaning service, the cleaning service's employees can't come after me for payment if the service fails to pay them).

However, I do think that informing title that they are using a vendor that is not paying it's contractors is a good idea. Maybe if enough people do so, they will switch to a more reliable vendor.

LKT's example: If I loan you money and you give the money to your cousin to pay me back, and the cousin spends the money, I come back to YOU. I don't go after your cousin, I go after YOU for the money as it is your responsibility to see that the money is in my hands. You can then go after your cousin....but I'm going after you for my money - you borrowed the money....not your cousin. Same premise with the TC.....they call the SS, the SS calls the notary.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/23/13 12:29pm
Msg #474400

Maybe I'm missing something - where is this new?

This is what I would do at the 60 day mark and no payment (thankfully none of those in my radar any more) - had good luck with it too. Also copy escrow/title on "pay up or else" letters.

This method has been promoted on this forum for years. Or were you being facetious Cheryl? Smile

Reply by HSH/WA on 6/23/13 12:44pm
Msg #474405

Re: Pacific Document Signings is over 60 days due

and has not responded to any of my inquiries, so I contacted the lender, loan officer, escrow and title company (cc PacDoc) stating that I had done the work to get their loan closed and them paid, now they needed to contact PacDoc and get me paid. I plan on making the same request over and over so as to ingrain into there heads that PacDoc does not pay it's NSAs - so don't use them. I told the lender that if the invoice still goes unpaid, I will contact the BO and ask him/her to ask their LO to get involved in getting me paid which may put the LO and the lender in a bad light being associated with non payment. Think I'll get paid?

Reply by 101livescan on 6/23/13 12:46pm
Msg #474408

I certainly hope so!

Reply by HSH/WA on 6/23/13 12:56pm
Msg #474412

Re: I'll keep you posted if Pacific Document Signing pays up n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/23/13 12:58pm
Msg #474413

What some notaries have done (very successfully) is draft a complaint letter (breach of contract) to the state regulatory agency - dept. of insurance for TCs and dept. of corporations for escrow companies - dated the letter X number of days in the future and faxed, certified mailed, and emailed (all 3) that letter to the SS, TC, lender, escrow company and loan officer (minus the borrower). The notary prefaces the complaint letter with a separate note saying this complaint will be sent if their check isn't FedEx'd to them within X days (usually 3 business days).

If you do any signings or GNW for attorneys and are not paid as agreed, draft a complaint letter (breach of contract and financial irresponsibility) to the state bar where the attorney is licensed. Follow same instructions above.

Reply by Luckydog on 6/23/13 1:22pm
Msg #474419

Sounds like the best idea yet LKT/CA. Thanks. Will keep that one in mind. Really sad how much trouble, time and expense we have to go through to collect $100.00 or so. Thank God I have nit had any issues in a while.

Reply by desktopfull on 6/23/13 1:01pm
Msg #474414

Contacting the borrower is not a good idea

they didn't hire or contract with you for your service. I can't believe anyone is still doing any closings for PDS with a 2 star rating in SC, they are the equivalent of SOX. Next time save yourself the hassel and use SC. Even if you take a closing and check it out later, you can always kick the closing back.

Reply by Robert522TX on 6/23/13 3:56pm
Msg #474449

Care to name the SS involved? n/m

Reply by HSH/WA on 6/23/13 9:50pm
Msg #474470

Re: I worked for Pacific Document Signings in the past

and they paid fine (they were a 3 star then). It seems they are slipping out of business and my last check will probably go with them. I mention enlisting the BO to put pressure on the lender to help get me paid by calling the escrow and title to call PacDoc and tell them to pay the NSA. I will not take a signing for an SS below 3 stars and was relying on my past experience with PacDoc rather that checking their current rating on NR - mistake.

Reply by doglover/CA on 6/23/13 11:55pm
Msg #474476

I stopped working for Pacific Document Signings a couple of years ago when I did not get paid for two signings in a row.

Reply by Gary Williamson on 6/24/13 12:48am
Msg #474477

I performed a signing for them in Mid March and was paid within 30 days. I performed 2 others earlier this year and was paid for them in a reasonable time frame also. Was I lucky?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.