Notary Rotary
Nice perk! Picked up a few bucks when I went to notarize
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by HSH/WA on 6/13/13 4:51pm
Msg #473218

some loan docs and the BO had a few more non-loan docs to be notarized. Hasn't happened often for me, any like this for you?

Reply by Ronnie_WA on 6/13/13 4:57pm
Msg #473220

Yes, but I never charge them. I just think of it as an added service to title/lender. Curious what others do.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 6/13/13 5:01pm
Msg #473221

I've been asked several times if I notarize "other" things besides loan docs. Makes me chuckle. I always oblige at no charge. It's usually only 1 doc and I can only chg $1. Not worth even asking nor do they even offer. lol

Reply by Patricia/VT on 6/13/13 5:50pm
Msg #473235

I have always notarized extra documents for borrowers as a courtesy, and declined payment when offered.

Reply by kcg on 6/13/13 5:57pm
Msg #473236

I do it as a courtesy also....since I'm already there, it's not much of an effort to do it. Besides, usually by the end of the signing, we're practically *friends*.

Reply by Luckydog on 6/13/13 7:37pm
Msg #473256

I do it for free as customer service and a good review back if they ask.

Reply by ToniK on 6/13/13 6:12pm
Msg #473240

I charge because its a new notarization and not part of the loan docs. One time it was a will. Another time it was an employer request for residency.

Reply by linda/ca on 6/13/13 6:13pm
Msg #473241

I have a few times. Most memorable was when I was already @ borrower's home for loan docs. They had properties in another state that he asked me to notarize necessary docs that came to well over $200.00 per Calif. $10.00 per notarization for the two of them. Did I charge them? "Yes in deedy!" Gave them a big discount, however.

Reply by JimAZ on 6/13/13 8:18pm
Msg #473268

Would be nice if AZ would follow CA at $10 per notarization. GNW in AZ @ 2 bucks a pop is nothing but a loss. I feel for the people that call me for GNW, and refer them to their local banks or UPS store. At times I get a desperate call for a POA or Will in some ones last chapter of their loved ones life. I go and take care of it. Whoopee, I just made $4 bucks plus travel. Then I go back to my office and pay my notary expenses. Wake up AZ SOS.

Reply by ikando on 6/13/13 6:22pm
Msg #473243

I had an instance where the borrowers had a son who needed a vehicle title notarized, but he wasn't there with it at that time. Since they had previously been unaware of traveling notaries, borrowers asked if I could come back when he brought the title. I charged a travel fee for the extra trip, but nothing ($5 allowed) for the notarization.

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/13/13 7:00pm
Msg #473248

I'm with HSH/WA

Interesting...we whine about low fees, but then don't charge for service because....????

Reply by Luckydog on 6/13/13 7:40pm
Msg #473257

Re: I'm with HSH/WA

I do not charge for 1 or 2 things the buyer needs notarized, #1 because I am there and takes me no time to do it #2 it's called customer service. When you make people happy it reflects on your business and they will let people know. Good news spreads quickly.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 6/13/13 8:37pm
Msg #473273

Sometimes it's gratis, sometimes it's not

One doc, sure, it's gratis.
I've had brws try to take advantage of me with notarizations.
When wills, and retirement planning notarizations and larger notarization packages come into it,
I reschedule them for a different day or at least a different time. Full fee.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/14/13 12:55am
Msg #473299

Very good point, Lee/AR!!

I've done it both ways, depending on the circumstances. For example, if I'm being well paid by a title company for a reasonable size package with few notarizations - and I don't have another appointment right after that one to rush off to - I'm happy to do it for them at no charge (if we're just talking about one or two signatures). But if it's a PITA assignment, lots of pages, replacing tons of notary certificates, borrowers are readers or have an attitude (or various combinations of those things) - maybe not.

Also, there are those borrowers who are busy people, don't have time to go hunt down a notary somewhere, but also realize that this is my livelihood. Since the docs have nothing to do with the transaction I'm already paid to be doing there, they don't expect to get it for free. These are generally people whose time is worth a lot, so they're not trying to get something for nothing and just appreciate the convenience of getting it done. Typically, they can easily afford it and are happy to pay a little extra. If it's an older person or couple in a modest home on a fixed income, for example, that would be a different story.

Customer service is all well and good, but technically, the borrower isn't our customer. And giving away our service is just one more way to devalue oneself. But this is a judgment call that we each have to weigh in each different set of circumstances.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 6/13/13 9:17pm
Msg #473279

As a matter of fact, happened to me yesterday. Mrs. Borrower had an additional non-loan related doc to be notarized. Great when this happens!

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 6/13/13 10:40pm
Msg #473295

I would not charge for doing this for the borrowers..Im already there and its no big deal and its good customer service!

Reply by JimAZ on 6/13/13 11:00pm
Msg #473296

Nice people = gratis. Pricks = whatever

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.