Notary Rotary
Not much fazes me
Notary Discussion History

Not much fazes me
Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by Patricia/VT on 6/19/13 3:09pm
Msg #473990

Not much fazes me

but I just managed to conceal my surprise when the husband joined his wife & me in the kitchen to begin signing their loan docs. He was wearing what I prefer to assume were bathing trunks and nothing else.
The signing went smoothly and no one indicated there was anything unusual about his attire.

Reply by Bip on 6/19/13 4:42pm
Msg #473998

I had a cross dresser. Full make up, nails and ear rings. Hair matted down for wig and and moo moo and fuzzy slippers..Strong hand shake like a mechanic, very deep voice, not a hint of a swish..It was bizarre..I was fazed and he acted like I was just lookin at a regular guy. Smile

Reply by Jessica/FL on 6/19/13 4:58pm
Msg #473999

Signed a celeb last week in LA

I will keep his name concealed for privacy issues but he came down stairs in just boxer shorts. I acted like I didn't know who he was or that he was famous. Even though he was very nice to look at, I could barely look at him. Was it an invitation? Smile

Reply by ikando on 6/19/13 9:42pm
Msg #474041

Re: Signed a celeb last week in LA

And I had the anti-celeb--an overweight, grumpy guy in his underwear who, fortunately, just sat in his chair and grumbled about he wasn't going to sign the paperwork that his wife had worked to get to that point. Luckily(?), there were other issues and the closing aborted. I got out of there as quick as I could.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 6/19/13 10:03pm
Msg #474044

Actually, the celebrities and famous people are actually some of the more interesting appointments... and not because of their fame. A lot of them are a little bit...eccentric. On the flip side, many are also just plain old normal people. What's really fun is when you realize that their legal names and their stage names are totally different, and most people have absolutely no clue. In fact, one time, I notarized for a lady up in Topanga (and if you guys know LA, you know Topanga is a *really* unique little town!). It wasn't until I was walking out of her home and saw a certain major award in a cabinet, and said, "Oh, you won one those? What was it for?" I was thinking it maybe it was a daytime writer type of thing... same statue, but those guys don't get all the recognition.

She looked at me and laughed. She said, "Darling, I think I love you. You really don't recognize me, do you? I thought for sure they would have told you since you were coming to my home."

I looked at her and tried to cover, but said honestly, "Well, I was born and raised in Southern California... I meet people from all walks of life."

She pulled me over and showed me a photo of when she won the award... OH. OH!!!! I'm telling you, this woman was beautiful, but was make-up free, had full-on gray frizzy hair and was in sweats. She lived in a normal little cabin like house in the hills of a town that is full of hippies and artists. In fact, her house was up a dirt road. Her legal name was NOTHING like her stage name. I did a double take... and sure enough... it was her. She laughed and said, "Yup, those make-up artists are great, aren't they?"

She went on to tell me that she loves it that she can go out and nobody recognizes her most of the time. Plus, many of her neighbors are also kind of famous.

I honestly had no idea, and I think I prefer it that way. It doesn't really impact how I do my job unless I start getting weird requests, like, "Be sure when you come to the security gate you use a code word and make sure your hair is pulled back so the security cameras can see your face and that you're wearing shoes that you can take off. Oh, and do not wear the color blue or wear any fragrances."

Those are all things I've been told before. NO JOKE.

And there was the one time where I was awarded a job, but then it was later cancelled on me because I'm a woman, and because this particular client is of a culture wherein women are not permitted to handle business affairs with men. Okay, whatever... to each their own.

Reply by sueharke on 6/20/13 12:56pm
Msg #474101

I have two tax clients who are in the entertainment field. I know their stage name and real name, but do not share that for privacy reasons. It is interesting how talented entertainers/writers/etc. need help with the business end. When I was taking auditing classes many years ago, my instructor said that the easiest people to rip-off were entertainers/writers/sports figures/doctors because he or she generally does not have the time or ability to manage their own money. This is really a true statement!

Reply by Serina/VT on 6/20/13 7:45am
Msg #474068

Too funny, but hey its VT we have some strange things happening here. I did one a few years ago during deer hunting season where the bank wanted 2 witnesses. I get to this home and we proceed to sign, they tell me their daughter and son in law are down in the basement and will come up to be witnesses when we get to that part. SO we get to that part and they call them up from the basement. They apparently had gotten a deer because they arrived quite bloody and reached for the pen. I insisted they wash their hands as I would have a hard time explaining blood stains on the documents Smile

Also I had one woman nursing her new baby as we signed, now that's not a big deal to me, I used to nurse too and I prefer a quite baby over a screaming one. I did have to insist that she not switch to signing with her left hand half way through the signing when she swapped sides.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 6/20/13 1:01pm
Msg #474102

Funny stories!

THanks for sharing the lighter side.

I "get away with" little or no makeup much of the time; so I just know one DAY I'll be going, "not Him!!"

I've never run into borrowers sharing TMI (too much information) . . . my, what are people thinking?? Me - I'm tryin' to cover up Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.