Notary Rotary
Question 4 Nevada notaries pls I know not many on this site
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by Notarysigner on 6/15/13 6:37pm
Msg #473499

Nevada notaries please help me understand about loan signing fees in your state you can p/m me to cut down on the chatter. tnx

I just read the Nevada statutes ( http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-240.html#NRS240Sec100 ) and this is my understanding.

Travel fee min two hours travel @ $10.00/hr = $20.00
Notarizations $5.00 for first signer of a Doc (Ack) $2.50 for second signer. $7.50 for two borrowers. Six Docs (two signatures each) would be 6 x $7.50 or $45.00
The Total "allowable charge...... would be $20.00 plus $45.00 = $65.00

I would guess that if everyone is getting this same fee, it wouldn't be much of a problem since that is all they could get. Can you charge more then this?

It doesn't say anything about printing Docs so I would guess they can charge a fee for that or just say, "you print out the Docs" I'll notarize them". I would.

Am I correct?

Reply by jba/fl on 6/15/13 6:51pm
Msg #473500

I would have an administrative fee, faxing, scanning and emailing fee among a few others in order to have the fees a proper business has in order to make a profit. I think that these written fees in handbooks are for those just doing notary work - GNW as we call it - they were printed prior to this becoming a business category.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/15/13 7:06pm
Msg #473502

But Jba look at this...... yuke!

NRS 240.100  Fees for services; additional fees for travel expenses; notarial acts performed within and outside scope of employment.
1.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 3, a notary public may charge the following fees and no more:

For taking an acknowledgment, for the first signature of each signer.......... $5.00
For each additional signature of each signer............................................... 2.50
For administering an oath or affirmation without a signature.......................... 2.50
For a certified copy................................................................................................. 2.50
For a jurat, for each signature on the affidavit................................................... 5.00

2.  All fees prescribed in this section are payable in advance, if demanded.
3.  A notary public may charge an additional fee for traveling to perform a notarial act if:
(a) The person requesting the notarial act asks the notary public to travel;
(b) The notary public explains to the person requesting the notarial act that the fee is in addition to the fee authorized in subsection 1 and is not required by law;
(c) The person requesting the notarial act agrees in advance upon the hourly rate that the notary public will charge for the additional fee; and
(d) The additional fee does not exceed:
(1) If the person requesting the notarial act asks the notary public to travel between the hours of 6 a.m. and 7 p.m., $10 per hour.
(2) If the person requesting the notarial act asks the notary public to travel between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m., $25 per hour.
Ê The notary public may charge a minimum of 2 hours for such travel and shall charge on a pro rata basis after the first 2 hours.
4.  A notary public is entitled to charge the amount of the additional fee agreed to in advance by the person requesting the notarial act pursuant to subsection 3 if:
(a) The person requesting the notarial act cancels the request after the notary public begins his or her travel to perform the requested notarial act.
(b) The notary public is unable to perform the requested notarial act as a result of the actions of the person who requested the notarial act or any other person who is necessary for the performance of the notarial act.
5.  For each additional fee that a notary public charges for traveling to perform a notarial act pursuant to subsection 3, the notary public shall enter in the journal that he or she keeps pursuant to NRS 240.120:
(a) The amount of the fee; and
(b) The date and time that the notary public began and ended such travel.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/15/13 7:29pm
Msg #473505

But Notarysigner: I will never live in NV - will you? n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/16/13 11:12am
Msg #473552

right next door to you LOL n/m

Reply by JimAZ on 6/15/13 7:27pm
Msg #473504

Hello James. I must be slow, but wondered where you went. Good to hear from you, but you have been here all along. Just need to check profiles more often. LOL

Reply by JimAZ on 6/15/13 7:52pm
Msg #473506

My Title company clients expect me to briefly describe the loan documents, NOT GIVE ADVICE, and most definitely not point and sign. I charge for my loan doc expertise, notarial acts, and travel. The latter two are covered in my AZ handbook, but the first is not covered and is a negotiation between the TC and myself.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 6/15/13 8:30pm
Msg #473509

Right! Plus, in a doc package with 100 pages, for example, how many of them actually get notarized? It would be interesting to calculate what percentage of all the time and work involved with getting a loan package signed involves actually notarizing a document. I'm thinking it's very low. Anyone care to hazard a guess? (I'd bet significantly less than 10%...)

Reply by JimAZ on 6/15/13 9:30pm
Msg #473517

Yep, I agree, very low percentage notarized documents, but we still must present and describe the non-notarized docs for signature in a loan package. That's called loan doc expertise.

Reply by JimAZ on 6/15/13 9:34pm
Msg #473519

And that's extra $$$

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 6/16/13 4:46am
Msg #473534

Don't forget courier service too.

We charge for getting those docs to FedEx and UPS.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/16/13 8:04am
Msg #473537

In Nv or Az? n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/16/13 8:05am
Msg #473538

In FACT Are AZ notaries allowed to do NV notarizations? n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 6/16/13 8:26am
Msg #473539

In Loan Signing, if you had to "justify" your fee...

you could use courier service as another charge to add to your bill if you were wanting to itemize.
No, AZ notaries can only notarize in AZ.

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/16/13 11:08am
Msg #473550

Oh well, just viisted the "big" three and not many notaries

listed and none I recognized! No wonder.

Reply by SharonMN on 6/16/13 12:29pm
Msg #473555

Re: Oh well, just viisted the "big" three and not many notaries

Wow! Is that $10/hr travel supposed to include gas and vehicle expenses? I can't imagine driving 2 hours through the mountains for $20. And I'm guessing that in most of Nevada, you'd be driving pretty far for most of your assignments. You should petition your legislature for more flexibility on travel fees.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 6/16/13 5:59pm
Msg #473581

Flashing blue light special??

This fee schedule reads like some sort of breakfast cereal sale at Walmart:

For taking an acknowledgment, for the first signature of each signer.......... $5.00
For each additional signature of each signer.................................................. 2.50
For administering an oath or affirmation without a signature......................... 2.50
For a jurat, for each signature on the affidavit............................................... 5.00

"And then after X number of additional signatures, we can get that for $1.50 each!! What a deal! Let's sign some more, Martha!"

Additionally, how come they don't offer the flashing blue light special for additional signatures for a jurat? A signature's a signature, no matter what doc it's on!

Yikes! Who came up with this? Clearly the Nevada legislature is caught in the middle trying to decide what's "fair" to residents needing notarizations and what's fair to notaries trying to make a living. I think it failed on both counts. And, hey, I grew up in Reno and went to college there, so I can say what I want about the Nevada legislature.

Then the travel part:
(1) If the person requesting the notarial act asks the notary public to travel between the hours of 6 a.m. and 7 p.m., $10 per hour.
(2) If the person requesting the notarial act asks the notary public to travel between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m., $25 per hour.

Now, where/how did they come up with this insanity? Maybe cos they had reports of Nevada notaries "ripping" people off with travel fees? In any case, driving one solid hour for $10 will not cover expenses. And because you're traveling during "business hours" you can charge only $10; but after 7 p.m. you can get $25. I think travel expenses are the same no matter what hour of the day/night you drive!

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/16/13 6:04pm
Msg #473582

Re: Flashing blue light special??

I spent $10.00 per hour the last time I was in L.V. (March) trying to find some Foster's Ale! There was none in the city!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.