Notary Rotary
Question for FL Notaries
Notary Discussion History

Question for FL Notaries
Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by hodgy on 6/22/13 8:57am
Msg #474321

Question for FL Notaries

Since FL is a witness required state I was curious how you as a notary handle that. Do you bring a witness? Do the borrowers generally provide the witness? If you provide the witness to the SS pay an extra fee for that?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/22/13 9:14am
Msg #474322

It is only a witness state as far as deeds go. Mortgages do not require witnesses (although there is one county who requires them) It is up to the hiring party to let you know that witnesses are required, and it is up to the borrower to provide a witness (unless the hiring party wants to pay for a witness you provide)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/22/13 12:31pm
Msg #474335

I let borrowers know they need another witness. If they have no one or don't want the neighbors to know their business, I tell them I'll se what I can do. I clear it with title/ss first - borrowers do not have a second witness available - at that point they usually ask me if I have anyone and I say yes, but for a fee. I get $25 for my husband to go with me. I then let borrowers know I'll be bringing my husband.

As Sylvia said - 2 witness only on deeds of conveyance, not on mortgages. Dixie County is one exception, who has a 2-witness requirement on mortgages, and now Suwannee County has jumped on that bandwagon.

Reply by hodgy on 6/22/13 6:53pm
Msg #474352

Thank you ladies for your responses.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.