Thank you, NotRot!
Notary Discussion History

Thank you, NotRot!
Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by Yoli/CA on 6/4/13 10:20am
Msg #472154

Thank you, NotRot!

Passed my CA notary Exam!

I took the 3 hour online required course (free of cost to premier members on NotRot). Then, I studied up for about a month before taking the test on May 11th. Just received word over the weekend that I passed. So, today I'm off to police department for required livescan for FBI & DOJ background check.

For CA aspiring notaries, these are my costs, just for renewing this coming January:

$12 - passport-type photo (for 2 - only need 1 for SOS)
$40 - notary exam
$64 - livescan (rolling, FBI fee & DOJ fee included)
$38 - $15,000 required CA notary bond (here at NotRot)
$468 - $100,000 E&O (not required but many TC's & SS's request)
TOTAL: $622 JUST TO RENEW

These costs do not take into account equipment, supplies, auto, auto insurance, auto maintenance, auto fuel, taxes, etc.

Keep this in mind when pricing your services.

Reply by John Tennant on 6/4/13 11:56am
Msg #472165

Excellent post Yoli. Far too often these costs are not figured into the business plan.

Reply by ToniK on 6/4/13 12:53pm
Msg #472174

Wow!!! Dont know how these notaries in CA taking those lowballer fees if it cost $622 to renew...geez! Another reason NOT to move to CA. lol

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 6/4/13 6:35pm
Msg #472249

Congrats!!

Good for you, Yoli.

BTW: I worked for two TCs that absolutely required $100,000 E&O and needed proof every year. I got it here on NR, and you will notice CA rates are higher than anywhere else (of course). Also, I've never been able to find live scan for less that $85. So you did good!

It's always such a relief to get all this out of the way. It's amazing there are as many CA notaries as there are considering all we have to go through just to get renewed.

P.S. Don't forget the cost of the gas driving to the test site, driving to the county recorder, driving to the live scan site, driving to the passport photo place, driving, driving driving....!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.