Notary Rotary
Title Source
Notary Discussion History

Title Source
Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by zebbienc on 6/30/13 7:47am
Msg #475174

Title Source

anyone completed the on line test from Title Source?

Reply by CarolF/NC on 6/30/13 8:42am
Msg #475177

yes, very difficult, not:) and you ask why???

If you want to know what it's about it is common sense and courtesy in the clients home. 10 short sweet questions to answer. If you are wondering why we are doing this, I can only imagine companies are hiring some less than professional people. JMO

Reply by Carolyn Breckenridge on 6/30/13 9:03am
Msg #475178

Re: yes, very difficult, not:) and you ask why???

It was easy. Common sense questions were my thoughts.

Reply by Christine/OK on 6/30/13 9:23am
Msg #475179

Yes. The video preparation and testing material was straightforward, common sense. As with others comments, I surmise that there really are folks that are completing signings who do not follow these simple guidelines. : (

Reply by Tim Cameron on 6/30/13 10:43am
Msg #475184

When your goal is to hire the cheapest Notary possible, you hire part timers, inexperienced, and non professionals....thus you have to have your notaries take a test telling them being late is bad, asking to use the bathroom is uncomfortable, and you shouldn't wear sweats to the appt...........

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/30/13 11:31am
Msg #475187

Tim, inexperienced and non-professional I'll agree with

I take exception to the "part timer" reference. I'm part time - doesn't take away from my experience, abilities or expertise.

Reply by Karla/OR on 6/30/13 3:37pm
Msg #475204

Thanks Linda - u took the words right out of my mouth! n/m

Reply by Tim Cameron on 6/30/13 5:15pm
Msg #475208

My apologies if you two are competent notaries...but it is a fact most part timers in any industry are not as good as people producing every single day...and if you are taking cheap work like my reference was about...shame on you, if you are as competent as you say you are, you should be charging triple digits for your expertise, whether that's 15 closings a week or 2

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/1/13 7:50am
Msg #475237

You don't know many retired folks, do you?

<<"it is a fact most part timers in any industry are not as good as people producing every single day">>

Simply not true - but really a good basis for separate discussion. People here who have spent over half their lives in professions that complement what notary closing agents do have much in the way of competence, expertise, etc. to bring to the table.

When I worked PT for a large F.I., I found that ENVY amongst co-workers (who I consistently "out shined") was the cause of most of their perceptions that part timers weren't "as good." I usually made about the same (or close to) what they did and produced more! This is because I wasn't "burned out" and came there to Work, not take long coffee/smoke breaks and chit chat.

Now, it's your LAST sentence/remark I Agree with; but then, PT/retired people from other professions can afford to work for less. This, I surmise is what all the "fuss" is about anyway. Dynamic shifts in what a nsa career is all about. Unfortunately, those who bring their knowledge and skill from other fields to do a job that really isn't "rocket science" - well, understandably they are not always welcome. I don't think it's because they're "taking cheap work" so much as they've found a way to make themselves useful, while earning a reasonable profit - based on today's new notary landscape. JMO

Yes, the TS video training is indeed an insult to common sense folk who have had professional lives; but then, have you seen some FT notary photo, profiles, posts, etc? There's room for improvement all the way around, don't you think??

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/1/13 7:58am
Msg #475238

forgot to add . . .

I don't think it's because they're "taking cheap work" so much as they've found a way to make themselves useful (with Pension), while earning a reasonable profit - not to earn a living - based on today's new notary landscape. JMO

Reply by Tim Cameron on 7/1/13 9:03am
Msg #475244

Re: forgot to add . . .

I think folks should not get so butt hurt so fast........my initial post was TS needed to put out the "education" because they cared more about finding cheap notaries than paying professional ones......2nd, I used the word "MOST" part timers not ALL.........

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/1/13 9:42am
Msg #475247

People are living longer

as we all know. So it's pretty common nowadays for those in the workforce to accept part time jobs or start businesses, while trying to "reinvent" themselves in their 2nd (career) "life."

So, statements like,"most" and in "any industry" have the power to persuade the uninformed.

A "butt" added in your earlier comments, Tim would have made it all better (ex. "most part timers performing work in just about any industry are lazy bums, BUT . . . )

p.s. I hope you didn't think by my "editorial" that I was "hurt" - just felt a qualifier was needed. I am sure that "professional ones" among us (and indeed in any industry) may need some guidelines on customer etiquette, dress, etc. on occasion. When I go into my bank (not my credit union) I often flush with embarrassment while "swimming" in someone's cleavage at the counter - and I have NO interest whatever in them (I have my own); but clearly someone forgot to read the code!!

Reply by JPH13/MO on 7/1/13 1:02pm
Msg #475284

TS test has nothing to do with actual signing experience

...so I don't see why people feel it means they are accepting people who do a poor job as a signing agent. It that were true then the test would ask questions about how to do a notarization, what are acceptable forms of ID, etc.

In today's world many companies are keeping their employees, who are now getting lousy or no raises each year, a little happier by having EVERY day be a casual day. If they are used to wearing flip flops, shorts and t-shirts to a business and then become a notary, they may not be aware that they need to dress up and act more professionally.

Obviously they felt there was a need to address these issues, and it only takes 7 minutes to go thru their little presentation and then very little time to take the test. What I found a bit disconcerting is that you can take the test as many times as you need to in order to get the required 100%. I think I would have limited it to a low amount of retrying since it was so easy - that way they could eliminate people who may not have the brains needed for this type of work!

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 7/1/13 3:19pm
Msg #475310

Jillian, how come I couldn't get this out? You have a gift

Well said, and thanks for bringing it back around Smile

When I worked for one F.I., there were NO casual days for employees in Branch or other public contact positions. I felt sorry for them; wearing jeans on Fri was a perk that got me into work at week end.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.