Notary Rotary
Update to my earlier post #473792 with realtor/mom
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2013 Index

Posted by snowflake/PA on 6/18/13 7:46pm
Msg #473906

sitting in at refi closing. Trying to review HUD with BO. Mom has many questions, which I answered. However, BO still not understanding escrows. Her mom and I both try to explain.

I realize closings can be difficult for BOs to understand. However, I discovered BOs mom is a realtor of 20 years and she said "I've never seen a settlement sheet like this". What????? Are you kidding me??? (I said to myself, of course). Anyway, review where sigs are required on loan app. BO looks at me and asks, "what are liabilities?" I nearly fell out of my chair. I don't ever profess BOs understand the whole process, but understanding what "liabilities" are should be common sense.

BO is a school teacher. Really - this is who may possibly be teaching your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews.

Still scratching my head . . . . .

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 6/18/13 8:55pm
Msg #473915

Maybe she is a math teacher or a coach. There is a word--sorry I can't think of it because it's been a long time since I heard it--that teachers are taught in training that refers to a body of knowledge that one person may have but another may not. For example, not every fifth grader knows everything that another classmate knows. A man explained it one time by saying that he grew up in the projects in New Jersey. He did not see a tree until he was grown.

I have been a substitute teacher. I have been amazed at the misspelled words on the board and on posters. On various online forums, there are people who are adamant that they do not want to know how a word is really spelled. Why? My eyes might glaze over at some subjects, but it doesn't mean that I shouldn't/wouldn't want to learn it. I learn something new every day and I'm sure you do, too.

I think that the lack of knowledge such as you described occurs because the teachers got the same sort of teaching that they are now teaching. They haven't had a variety of work and educational experiences as some of us do.

It is not just happening today, however. Many years ago, my high school English teacher, probably in her 60's and having taught English for many years, was reading something from Shakespeare to us. She came to a word, "yew". She paused in puzzlement. Then she said, "That's a female sheep." Back then we were taught to be polite to our teachers. My jaw didn't drop. I just wondered what she had been teaching all those years. Even then, I knew that a yew was a tree and a ewe is a sheep. If a yew is also a ewe in Shakespearean spelling, I certainly haven't come across it.

Reply by notarydi/CA on 6/19/13 9:45am
Msg #473951

on the subject of "words/phrases" not understood....

I recently was in Macy's and asked where the "ladies room" was. The sales associate said, "What's that?" And, just yesterday, I had Time Warner Cable out to check out my phones. I told the technician that it constantly sounds like a "party line". He said he had no clue what that meant. Guess I am getting old.......

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 6/19/13 11:27am
Msg #473966

Re: on the subject of "words/phrases" not understood....

Notarydi, I have had the same experience in asking for the women's room. (My dialect doesn't use "ladies room".) I forget the word that the clerk knew. It was something off-the-wall that young people use.

Reply by bagger on 6/19/13 2:43pm
Msg #473983

Speaking of misspelled words, have you seen this?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/college-misspelled-college-world-series-article-1.1375882

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.