Notary Rotary
1st assignment
Notary Discussion History

1st assignment
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Regina Roberts on 3/25/13 12:23pm
Msg #462900

1st assignment

Help! lol I am going out on my first signing tonight. Several of the documents in my packet do not have anything filled out. Is this normal? Is my client suppose to fill these out tonight? One is an Affidavit of Title. Nothing I can find anywhere tells me what to do. Please advise me.

Reply by sueharke on 3/25/13 12:29pm
Msg #462902

Try taking the Notary Signing Course offered through Notary Rotary.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 3/25/13 12:30pm
Msg #462903

Congratulations, now take a deep breath and relax.

Common sense will be your best friend, look at the docs and find anywhere you see the client's name and have them sign there. Look for places where your seal goes and you sign there. Just keep flipping pages and your common sense will dictate what happens.

If you have a question on the Aff. of title call the hiring agent and ask them what they would like done with this doc. When they tell you what they would like done, state back to them "that was what you thought should happen too, but you just wanted to make sure."

Head up, seal in hand, firm handshake and greeting, the rest will fall into place.

Reply by Shelly_FL on 3/25/13 12:32pm
Msg #462906

I find that the majority of title docs are not completed for the borrowers. I only concern my self with the notarial block. The content of the document is for the borrowers and their L/O or T/A to discern what to fill in.

Reply by JPH13/MO on 3/25/13 12:50pm
Msg #462907

I sent you a private message - please look for it

With some tips you will hopefully find worth reading. I didn't want to bore the good and experienced people on this forum with my insights, but did want to help you.

Reply by janCA on 3/25/13 12:55pm
Msg #462909

Re: I sent you a private message - please look for it

hi Regina, good luck with your 1st signing.

Also, make sure that any document that needs the signature notarized, is a complete document. Should not have any blanks.

Reply by Regina Roberts on 3/25/13 3:00pm
Msg #462963

Re: I sent you a private message - please look for it

Thank you everyone! Funny to feel so insecure when you're my age! I appreciate your comments and advice.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/25/13 3:45pm
Msg #462973

And one more thing...

Since you have the documents in advance, look for all those that need notarizing and make sure they have the correct verbiage for CA in the notary certificates. If not, fill out a loose certificate (or add it with a stamp, if there's room, and if you have one) and fill out as much of it as you can in advance. I leave off my signature and notary stamp until I've verified their ID (and administered an oath, if it's a jurat). I also draw a line through the incorrect language, initial by it, and print "See attached certificate", or something similar, on the printed page.

Done in advance, that will be one less thing to worry about at the table. Also, just in case, make sure you have plenty of loose acknowledgment and jurat certificates with you at all times. And if you don't have a stamp with the jurat verbiage, I highly recommend you buy one (available for very little here on this site). That language is short enough to fit on lots of documents and it's a great time saver. Keep in mind that the certificate (all of it), signature, and stamp all need to be on the same page.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 3/25/13 9:37pm
Msg #462998

Nice to see do n/m

Reply by CarolF/NC on 3/25/13 9:37pm
Msg #462999

Nice to see so n/m

Reply by CarolF/NC on 3/25/13 9:39pm
Msg #463000

Nice to see so much help. Hope it went well

Sorry don't know what happens with IPhone that it enters before I'm done

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.