Advice on offline marketing?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by George Tull on 3/31/13 3:44am
Msg #463852

Hi all and happy Easter!!

I think I have done the bulk of the NSA marketing that I can do, for the most part anyway. I paid for a listing here and a number 2 spot on 123 Not. I've signed up with a bunch of the agencies and title companies online. I think it's time to go offline.

I was thinking about making a marketing folder. It would include a business card with a link to my site, a few brochures explaining what I do, and a "resume" of sorts. I would call various loan officers with local lenders, ask if I could drop off some literature for them, meet each one for just a few minutes and give them the material.

Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions that you can think of? If you have done something similar, how did it work for you?

Thank you in advance, and hope you find a bunch of eggs!! Smile

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 3/31/13 5:36am
Msg #463855

Good idea. Sounds like your doing everything you can. If your new it can take years to build a good client base. Just keep pounding away at it.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/31/13 1:52pm
Msg #463885

Here you go...

First - go to wherever your mortgages are recorded.

Go through them for the last six months. Find out where the work is coming from. I predict that you will note that most work that you would be able to pick up comes from outside your immediate area.

Contact those companies that is giving "signing agents" in your area work.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/31/13 1:52pm
Msg #463886

Re: Here you go...ARGH! "that ARE" NOT "that is..." n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/31/13 5:37pm
Msg #463909

That's is *the* best advice, BTW....

That's how I did it at first. And you know what? It was reading that very advice from Brenda years ago, too. It really works. It takes patience, time and research, but it really is worth the effort.

It also gives you a good picture of who you competition might be as well, since their names and seals will be on the deeds.

Once, I noticed a particular Title company was filing deeds for an area and all of the deeds had a notary who I knew lived lived in another county. I went to the TC and said, "You know what? I see that you're using so-and-so for properties out in town X. She lives about an hour away, and I'm about 20 minutes away...plus I know several people here in town who could vouch for me," and so on. It worked! As it turned out, the only reason they used that notary was because she was the only one they could convince to go out there. I negotiated a rate for that town that was about $50 less, and to this day I'm the first person they call when they have work out there.

The TC President told me it wasn't because of the price, so much as because I obviously did the research and knew their business, the area and the people. So, when I approached them, it wasn't a generic letter and business card saying, "Call me if you have anything," -- it showed initiative, which they liked. And since then, that TC has given my name to other TCs and even lenders.

You have to do a lot of market research. It matters.

Reply by George Tull on 3/31/13 6:45pm
Msg #463915

Re: That's is *the* best advice, BTW....

Great story. Will give it a go tomorrow. Thank you!

Reply by George Tull on 3/31/13 6:43pm
Msg #463914

Re: Here you go...

That is really good advice. Thank you! Will give it a shot.

Reply by LKT/CA on 3/31/13 11:37pm
Msg #463921

Join your city's Chamber Of Commerce n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.