Always something new
Notary Discussion History

Always something new
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 3/20/13 7:55pm
Msg #462250

Always something new

This job amazes me.
Tonight I had a BOA employee sit in on a signing because the borrower spoke little english. She proceeded to tell me and him that he could just sign everything with his first name. No need for the full name and also that he did not need to include a voided check with his ACH form.
I insisted that he sign with his full name but was unable to get a voided check (so thats Bank of America's problem)

Reply by Robert522TX on 3/20/13 7:59pm
Msg #462253

She must be a wack job!! Smile

Reply by Karla/OR on 3/20/13 8:01pm
Msg #462254

To say the least! n/m

Reply by doglover/CA on 3/20/13 8:14pm
Msg #462256

Some Indonesians go by just one name. And I have had some signings where some Middle Eastern people signed with what appeared to be a single name. So it could be a cultural thing.

Reply by pat/WA on 3/20/13 8:19pm
Msg #462257

The name was Bob

and he was oriental or asian

Reply by Jessica/FL on 3/21/13 2:31pm
Msg #462357

Oriental: Rugs or People? n/m

Reply by Philip Johnson on 3/20/13 8:37pm
Msg #462259

Obviously he spoke enough English, for you

to conduct the signing. Otherwise; how were you able to finish out your notarizations with someone unable to speak enough English to understand your questions?

Reply by Gregory/CA on 3/20/13 8:38pm
Msg #462261

I had a BofA signing this past weekend. The co-borrower signed with first name. It matched the drivers license and I just asked "does this signature represent the name listed on the document?" Response was yes. I said, "Lets continue."

The parties were Indonesian.

Why was a voided check needed? Did this loan require the PayPlan enrollment? Maybe not needed if BofA has their account info on file. I had that happen before, too. But you're right, not our issue. Just document it so it doesn't come back to haunt you.

Reply by Lisa Thornton on 3/20/13 8:48pm
Msg #462264

How the borrower signs really is up to the bank....and not the notary. THEY decide how they want THEIR docs signed. So long as he is properly identified, that's what matters. If the loan package gets kicked back due to "inadequate" signature, hopefully, you'll get the re-sign. That's another full fee.

Reply by notarydi/CA on 3/21/13 1:12am
Msg #462285

you did the right thing, WA. It is our job as signing agents to follow the lender's instructions to the best of our abilities. Yes, they the bank tell us how they want their docs signed. Most lender's instructions clearly state, "borrs must sign documents exactly as their names are typed." Why do the lender's state that? Because if down the road, the property goes into foreclosure, the borr can't come back and say, "well, that's not my signature." Typed name = signature = conforms to driver's license signature. Also, having them sign name exactly as typed protects borr as far as chain of title is concerned. If their signature on driver's license is undecipherable, so be it. As long as they answer yes when I ask them if that signature is their name as typed on the docs, I'm good to go. We've done the best we could as signing agents.

Reply by doglover/CA on 3/21/13 12:23am
Msg #462281

If Cher came in to sign loan papers, she would be able to sign as just "Cher". I understand that she has legally dropped her last name.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.