Notary Rotary
Any problem with signer siging twice?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by VT_Syrup on 3/27/13 6:20am
Msg #463259

The "Rejecting a perfectly legal notarization" thread below reminded me of a bit of advice I got at a forum put on by the Vermont SOS. The presenter (an attorney and former Deputy SOS) advised that if someone came with a document they had already signed and wanted to acknowledge it, it would be legal to do so without having them sign it again. HOWEVER, it would be a better practice to have the signer re-sign. (There was no discussion of whether the signer should re-date). This would provide evidence that the person before the notary is actually capable of making a signature that looks like the one on the person's ID. (Of course, the signature in the journal would also serve that purpose, but VT doesn't require a journal).

Has anyone ever had a problem with a document with two signatures (right next to each other, or one right above the other) from the same person being accepted?

Reply by Natacha Joseph on 3/27/13 7:44am
Msg #463273

While performing GNW work, I have had signers sign again in my presence. The document is then submitted with two signatures…to my knowledge, nothing has ever rejected. I’m sure they would have returned with bells on if so Smile

Reply by MW/VA on 3/27/13 8:26am
Msg #463277

Ditto. n/m

Reply by notarydi/CA on 3/27/13 8:47am
Msg #463282

Nope. I've had it done a couple of times. Once was even a Provident loan deed of trust. Can't remember exactly why, but, had the guy sign again right next to his first signature. No problems. I also had a doctor who insisted on signing once as she "normally" signs and then a second time the way she signs when she "writes prescriptions". Signed 160 pages with two signatures. Said she had signed that way throughout the whole loan application process. No problems.

Reply by jnew on 3/27/13 9:50am
Msg #463290

It is considered a good practice to have the acknowledging party reproduce the signature by signing a journal or a blank sheet of paper that the notary could retain. This really is not part of the notarial act, but an assurance against fraud. I see no reason for the document to contain two signatures since the acknowledgment is silent as to the date of signature and refers only to the date of appearance

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/28/13 3:53am
Msg #463461

In my state, a jurat has to be signed in front of the notary, so I've had a person resign many a document when a jurat was needed. I've never had any one come back to say that it was a problem. Sounds to me like that speaker gave some good advice.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.