Notary Rotary
Background Checks?
Notary Discussion History

Background Checks?
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by CarolF/NC on 3/21/13 10:50pm
Msg #462490

Background Checks?

Has anyone asked the question of the companies requiring specific checks WHY? What information in my current screening is insufficient? Backgrounds Online does NNA's. http://www.backgroundsonline.com/contact.html
Who is the vendor for Not Rot? Lexis Nexis is highly recognized in many industries as being the go to data warehouse . There are only a handful companies housing and maintaining national database information. I'd think any company like Backgrounds Online would be utilizing a resource such as Lexis Nexis to pull info from. It would be interesting to know the originating source of the background information.

Reply by sueharke on 3/21/13 11:03pm
Msg #462492

You said Lexis Nexis is highly recommended for BCG.

Experian, Transunion, and Equifax are highly regard their ability to provide credit history, yet more than 5% of all credit reports have errors on them. These companies don't seem to care about fixing customer problems.

I think companies that are highly regarded and very large have bureaucratic issues and do not have the ability to fix customer problems and tend to charge a greater price for services to customers. I am applying this statement to the NNA and Lexis Nexis as primary sources for credit checks.

Smaller companies, like Notary Rotary, want to do a better job and provide good service to customers, yet their credit reports are not accepted by many SS. It leads me to ask if the SS are getting a kickback for customers they refer for BCG?

I don't know what the answer is...

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/21/13 11:12pm
Msg #462493

RE: kickback for customers they refer for BCG?

Just google "background check affiliate programs".
Many out there. Interesting to say the least!

Reply by sueharke on 3/21/13 11:18pm
Msg #462494

Re: RE: kickback for customers they refer for BCG?

Are you saying that NNA and Lexis Nexis have a conflict of interest in providing BCG for some companies - having a financial interest in the outcome of the product sold?

Reply by sueharke on 3/22/13 1:28pm
Msg #462558

Re: RE: kickback for customers they refer for BCG?

Yes, there is a potential conflict of interest if there the referring company gets paid for each person they refer. If the referring company does NOT get a fee or income from referring a customer to the company, there is no conflict of interest.

If I, as a CPA, get paid to refer a client to a particular service and get paid, I must tell the client. The client needs to know that I do or don't have an interest in the outcome of a business service or financial transaction.

Why is this not the same for SS who refer notaries to a particular BCG service?

Reply by CarolF/NC on 3/21/13 11:51pm
Msg #462498

I said highly recognized not recommended n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/21/13 11:20pm
Msg #462495

The one done through NotRot is provided by CrimChek: http://www.crimcheck.com

Reply by notarydi/CA on 3/21/13 11:30pm
Msg #462496

I don't believe it is the background checks that are insufficient. I think it is a matter of contracts. Some enterprising marketing/sales person has gone in to vendor management/human resources and secured a contract with the large company to provide background checks. Those managers have to use a specific company to provide background checks because they have a legal contract. I have seen it done in another industry. It was something as simple as the President of the company's niece had a service provider company and he said you will contract with this company and use this company. Wasn't a matter of who did a better more thorough job at it. Sometimes, it's a bottom line $$ decision that the service provider gives the large company a volume discount....even tho it may not be a quality service (background check). Sometimes the service provider is an affiliate/subsidiary company and it's more bottom line revenue for company. Would be interesting to see if Lexis Nexis is a subsidiary of some big conglomerate.....JMHO

Reply by John Tennant on 3/21/13 11:47pm
Msg #462497

Then if we are paying for it ourselves any monies going back to the requesting company should be considered a "kickback". Am I wrong???

Reply by sueharke on 3/22/13 1:30pm
Msg #462559

John, thank you for agreeing that the SS may be getting "kickbacks".

Reply by BobbiCT on 3/22/13 6:42am
Msg #462509

Background Checks Good but not Great

I have a Notary Rotary background check and a LexisNexis background check.
Both are "good." I LIKE having the NotaryRotary background verification link on my website, particularly for general notary work.

The difference:
The Notary Rotary is background check is MORE accurate and detailed.
LexisNexis is not as accurate (minor errors), but still "passed."

Reply by MW/VA on 3/22/13 8:40am
Msg #462516

I have a NR bgc. I wouldn't say that Lexis Nexis is better,

and there was a class action suit brought against them a couple of years ago for violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act. I actually received $1,000 in that suit, because they had given me a hard time about correcting some incorrect info. Incidently, that was for a bgc through NNA.
I haven't had anyone who had a problem accepting the one from here on NR.

Reply by sueharke on 3/22/13 1:32pm
Msg #462560

Re: I have a NR bgc. I wouldn't say that Lexis Nexis is better,

As I said earlier, Lexis-Nexis and the credit reporting bureaus make mistakes and take too long to correct them (if the company actually corrects the error).

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.