Notary Rotary
Calls to Correct other Notaries' Work is on the rise
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Tudi/CA on 3/19/13 6:30pm
Msg #462034

So far today I've had 6 calls: 2 were from companies that offered me a refi for $85. I told them my fee was $XXX. One of them (a four star company) said they couldn't pay my fee because the Title company only pays them $130. If that's true, then the SS need to raise their fees to Title companies. The other 4 calls, all from different companies, wanted me to go out and "fix" the mistakes of other notaries. I think there is a correlation between the rise of $XX notaries taking the original assignment and the rise for $XXX notaries to fix the mistakes of other notaries. Between what the SS company paid the original notary, plus the cost of a second notary to fix their mistakes, the SS are probably paying $130-$160 to actually get the job done right. If they offered this type of money the first time around, they could get a really good notary that would get the job done right the first time around. They would also save the additional cost of an extra Fed-Ex priority package for the 2nd set of "fixed" documents. I know that SS companies monitor our posts, so I hope those reading this message will consider it closely.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 3/19/13 6:42pm
Msg #462037

<< If they offered this type of money the first time around, they could get a really good notary that would get the job done right the first time around. >>

That happened to me a couple of months ago. We were $25 apart on the original signing offer. They chose to use a cheaper notary. It was a split signing and apparently the VA notary screwed it up. I got called out to notarize a POA for the wife here in VA and her husband would re-sign all docs in another state. I got copied on an email with a trail that said, "Obviously, do not use the same notary."

Gotta love it!

Reply by ME/NJ on 3/19/13 8:22pm
Msg #462059

Get at least 2-3 a month in clean up work. n/m

Reply by FeliseSoCal on 3/19/13 6:51pm
Msg #462040

Absolutely true!

I have probably been called out on 6 redraws/ no shows /or some other notary flub-up this month.
You get what you pay for!
If a TC is using a SS, $130 is not a realistic fee. That's BS. $130 is reasonable for a direct vendor, but not 3rd party.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/19/13 7:59pm
Msg #462054

These signing services often agree to get those "low" rates because it means they'll get the work, in bulk, over other signing companies. It lets them farm out more work.

That's all good and fine...for them. What they don't consider is that *WE* can't operate like that. There is no such thing as "bulk" or "volume" work on our end.

I'd say about 30% of the calls I get now are for clean up work... and so often I hear, "We should have just called you first. If we paid your fee to begin with it would have been less expensive."

Reply by Teresa/FL on 3/19/13 9:46pm
Msg #462071

The TC or SS may not pay the original notary if they did not complete the job correctly, so they may not be losing money on the signing fee.

It can cost them money and business if a redraw is required. Their client (TC or broker/lender) can hold them liable for any additional expenses incurred.

Reply by 101livescan on 3/20/13 1:52am
Msg #462090

Get several of these a week. Never fails, really, month end, you really want me to go out for $75 to get a DOT resigned, really?

Reply by Bravo on 3/20/13 2:31pm
Msg #462187

I too have been receiving calls for re-signs done by other notaries along with emergency calls to get to a signing quickly because the assigned notary has "not shown up".
The other thing I am experiencing quite abit of is errors being made in doc packages and escrow docs, deeds, etc. As a retired Escrow Officer its difficult to understand how they can let packages go out in this condition. When I run across these problems, it costs me alot of time and backup in my schedule and NOT ONCE have I ever had a SA apologize and offer to compensate me for my time or expertise. Consequently, their work is getting less professional and my fees are going up.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.