Notary Rotary
Evernote Hacked Big-Time
Notary Discussion History

Evernote Hacked Big-Time
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Pro Mobile Notary on 3/4/13 7:09pm
Msg #459195

Evernote Hacked Big-Time

I seem to recall a dialogue about the virtues of using Evernote and I commented that you should trust anything left on “The Could.”

It was reported today that Evernote’s main server was hacked.

http://tinyurl.com/cphxntt

It is not advisable to leave anything with sensitive information (yours of clients) anywhere on the net as there will always be a 16-year old smarter than the security experts working for technology companies.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/4/13 7:24pm
Msg #459199

Which also makes me wonder about the

viability of this seen on another site.

A notary has developed a phone app notary journal. At first blush it sounds like a great idea..but...

Now she's expanded it to tablets and Androids - an electronic journal on a tablet.

How secure and private is that?

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/4/13 7:39pm
Msg #459205

Ooops, Linda...as we Presbyterians say...

Now you've stopped preachin' and started meddlin'!!

Don't ask Howard hard questions like that.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 3/4/13 9:34pm
Msg #459229

Re: Ooops, Linda...as we Presbyterians say...

f course Brenda of TX has no use for information from someone knowledgable. Poor Brenda thinks a physicist turned economist and owner of a publishing company producing newsletters about economics, housing and related issues for 25 years and owner of a successful signing service cannot offer up anything useful in this forum.

Hey Brenda, ever hear of that very famous Texan Col. William Travis. You know, the dude that died at the Alamo on March 6th 1836? That was my great great grandfather. Does that one stick in your craw?

Hahaha.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/5/13 7:11am
Msg #459248

I think Linda has a good question about the journal apps.

Can you please address that?

Reply by MikeC/TX on 3/5/13 6:53pm
Msg #459375

Re: Ooops, Linda...as we Presbyterians say...

Why do you find it necessary to personally attack anyone who disagrees with you?

As a "physicist turned economist and owner of a publishing company producing newsletters about economics, housing and related issues for 25 years and owner of a successful signing service", are you really so insecure that you feel the need to ram that down everyone's throat every time you are challenged about something?

We have no way of knowing whether any of the stuff you say about yourself is true - as the old joke goes, on the Internet no one knows you're really a dog. I've come across more than a few dogs over the past decade or so, and the two things they all had in common were that a) they claimed to have an impressive background, and b) they personally attacked anyone who challenged them.

Woof?

Brenda is a long time respected member of this community. She's not a troll, and definitely not someone who tries to stir up trouble. She has provided more to this community than you could ever hope to. When I moved here to TX from NY, she was gracious enough to take my call and explain the difference in the notary laws.

Your reaction to her post makes no sense - and you didn't even address the concern she raised.

And if Col. Travis is really in your bloodline, he must be spinning in his grave at the thought that his great-great-grandson is such a self-important tool...

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/4/13 7:37pm
Msg #459204

Here is what was accessed during the hack:

Nothing, except usernames and email addresses.

In April of 2011 - I got a letter that said that I was a part of this situation:

"The Texas Comptroller’s office said today that records containing personally identifying information of about 3.5 million Texans were left exposed on an agency server that was accessible to the public. The records contained the names and mailing addresses of individuals."

So....you can live your life, or you can be chicken little and the sky is falling.

Hopefully, no one really needs to be told that sensitive information should not be stored on Evernote, but I do store a great deal of information there that facilitates daily life, both my own businesses, my job, and my personal.

If you break into my Evernote, you will be able to get the straight skinny on my dogs' last visits to their respective veterinarians, the model number on my television, and whether the director of my agency likes The Deep Blue or the Bleu Bird Special sandwich in his order from Blue Baker. I also store receipts on Evernote.

In 2008, my bank account was hit for unauthorized purchases that amounted to over $2000.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/4/13 7:45pm
Msg #459208

April 2011?? I thought this was a new hack n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/4/13 8:05pm
Msg #459213

Re-read my post.

I said,

In April of 2011 - I got a letter that said that I was a part of this situation:

"The Texas Comptroller’s office said today that records containing personally identifying information of about 3.5 million Texans were left exposed on an agency server that was accessible to the public. The records contained the names and mailing addresses of individuals."

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/4/13 8:16pm
Msg #459217

Oh..woops..sorry.. :) n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 3/4/13 8:04pm
Msg #459212

This is a new one

Must Read: Mobile Device Management: BYOD gets religion

Topic: Security

Follow via:
RSS
Email Alert

Evernote hacked, forces password reset

Summary: The popular multi-platform, note-taking web application Evernote has had its master website hacked — and you must change your password before you can use it.
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols for Networking | March 2, 2013 -- 20:40 GMT (12:40 PST)
16Comments
0 Votes
more +

2013 may become known as the year of hacker. Following successful hacks of Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, and NBC's websites and servers, the servers of the popular multi-platform, note-taking web application Evernote have been hacked.

The citation is the same as Howard posted, dated March 2, 2013:
http://www.zdnet.com/evernote-hacked-forces-password-reset-7000012045/?s_cid=e550

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/4/13 8:07pm
Msg #459214

Yes. I got my Evernote email on Sat. or Sun.

My post was talking about other problems that happen on much more supposedly secure computer systems.

Reply by sueharke on 3/4/13 11:23pm
Msg #459237

Re: Here is what was accessed during the hack:

This is why I don't use online banking, except to check my account balance. No bill pay and I don't link my accounting software to my bank account!

Reply by BobbiCT on 3/5/13 8:40am
Msg #459259

Hacked Big-Time

I don't know where this quote comes from, but my IT family and security buddies agree with it:

There are two types of businesses:
Those that have been hacked.
Those that don't know they've been hacked.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/5/13 6:30pm
Msg #459365

Thanks, Bobbi...poetic and succinct.

My point exactly.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.