Notary Rotary
Extra fee for signing POA
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by upnorth/AK on 3/19/13 9:23pm
Msg #462068

I checked for discussion on this but couldn't find anything. I accepted a signing for $XXX and the borrower just informed me that she is signing with her husband's POA for a refi. Do you charge extra for this as it takes longer with all the extra wording?

Reply by Teresa/FL on 3/19/13 9:40pm
Msg #462069

Yes, I charge extra, especially if ALL of the docs must be

signed by the AIF for the principal.

If the AIF is signing for a non-borrowing spouse or title-holder, I will sometimes do the signing without an extra fee.

The determining factor is the time involved.

Reply by Eva75Eva on 3/19/13 9:43pm
Msg #462070

Absolutely. I charge $25 extra for these as it is more time consuming. It's hard enough to babysit the borrowers while signing with a regular signature, nevermind ensuring they are signing correctly with all the POA wording.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/20/13 8:30am
Msg #462096

No, I haven't charged an extra fee for those. In most

cases here it's a military spouse. BTW, I write up a quick "cheat sheet" with the way initials needs to be done, etc. It does speed things up & they're very grateful. Also, I usually use special language on my notary certificate, such as "Jane Doe, individually and as POA for John Doe". That clarifies that John Doe did not appear before me.
Some states don't allow notaries to specifiy "capacity".

Reply by Barb25 on 3/20/13 9:48am
Msg #462109

If this is for a company that I work for regularly, I would not charge an additional fee for a PA signing. I also would not consider charging them less if the package had only 60 or 70 pages. Neither case arises that often to give any more thought. Otherwise, give it your best shot, I guess. I don't think I ever have but again it doesn't come up all that often.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 3/20/13 10:08am
Msg #462116

I also do not charge extra. Yes, it may take a bit longer but not much. It is 1 person signing twice instead of 2 people signing once. Not much difference. Just always feel sorry for the person who has to sign for the spouse. Hand gets mighty tired.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.