Notary Rotary
Follow –up regarding unsolicited calls Msg #459360
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Notarysigner on 3/8/13 11:49am
Msg #460067

First of all let me say thank you to all those who responded and I hope you are back to normal following the intrusion of your privacy and the individual insults, intimidation and shock from the calls you all received. This is something we all can do about ALL the unsolicited calls received.

Register with the FTC Do not call list (link below). It will take 31 days for the process to be completed.

You will receive confirmation that you are registered (up to three numbers including cell phones). Then if you receive an unsolicited call from ANYBODY you can tell them that you are registered and they should immediately hangup. If not, you can file a complaint and they will be fined after an investigation into your allegations. Make sure you have the time and date of the call and those of you with caller ID, Do not delete.

I expect some of these calls to stop soon after this post.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 3/8/13 12:03pm
Msg #460070

We have received hundreds of unsolicited spam phone calls, filed complaints with the "Do Not Call" people and not a single thing has ever come from any of the complaints filed. And that includes multiple complaints for the same company that called us more than a dozen times before we finally placed a total block on our phone line so they cannot get a call through to us.

Being a researcher I did some investigating. The government will not go after even the flagrant spam callers and robo callers without first receiving many hundreds of complaints about the company calling. With government funding cutbacks recently implemented you can expect them to do even less moving forward.

James, think about this: If your number is on the do not call list it may prevent some people from calling you with signing orders. James, I know you are not concerned as you turn away more business than you want to cover. Not everyone else is in the same boat (you lucky guy).

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/8/13 12:18pm
Msg #460075

Howard, just because you didn't get a ticket doesn't mean

you weren't speeding!

I am trying to help NOT DISCOURAGE. If a person doesn't want to be the victim of an unwanted unsolicited call, they will tell the caller they're registered AS suggested!

Reply by bagger on 3/8/13 12:30pm
Msg #460079

B2B calls do not apply to the dnc list.
The do not call list was meant to protect consumers in their homes
Business's are still fair game.

Reply by Les_CO on 3/8/13 12:03pm
Msg #460071

Thanks James! n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/8/13 12:42pm
Msg #460083

Thanks, James.

That guy is a piece of work.

Reply by 101livescan on 3/8/13 1:35pm
Msg #460099

We appreciate you, James! Thanks, have a great weekend.

Reply by 101livescan on 3/8/13 3:00pm
Msg #460120

Consider blocking this person from your fone in contact

That way, he'll get the message loud and clear. Don't even have to bother speaking with negative, evill spirited people.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/8/13 5:12pm
Msg #460141

Thanks, James. I've had the DNC on my land-line for years,

but won't put any blocks on my cell phone because of business. I didn't get the call from that person.
My x used to get abusive on the phone, and I don't hesitate to hang up on anyone who gets rude or nasty on the phone. IMO that's the best way to handle situations like that. ;-)

Reply by HisHughness on 3/8/13 8:21pm
Msg #460169

Please, can we be more explicit with the acronyms?

***I've had the DNC on my land-line for years, but won't put any blocks on my cell phone because of business.***

I saw that, and went into high umbrage once again about somebody polluting Discuss Work with political crap. Besides, I couldn't see what the Democratic National Committee had to do with this thread. I was getting ready to post something nasty about the RNC -- Republican National Commitee -- when it occurred to me that the Democratic National Committee shares intials with the Do Not Call list.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/9/13 10:39am
Msg #460225

Was referring to "Do Not Call" List. Nothing political

being discussed in this thread.

Reply by bagger on 3/9/13 1:56pm
Msg #460267

Re: Please, can we be more explicit with the acronyms?

So why didn't you just keep it to yourself?
Nope, YOU had to bring politics into it.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/9/13 2:52pm
Msg #460284

I took this post as tongue-in-cheek...

Was this an effort at self-deprecation, Hugh? That's how I saw it, not as an attempt to insert politics. Just a joke, and a Hugh-ish play on words - so to speak...

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/8/13 11:39pm
Msg #460182

Re: Thanks, James. I've had the DNC on my land-line for years,

If it gets really bad, I found a better solution years ago - actually 2-3 decades ago (in my somewhat winsome youth... Wink) I went through a spell where I was getting threatening and obscene calls from some sicko. I found my playground whistle from my teacher days and next time he called, I gave him the best blast I could right into the phone. Worked like a charm! He's probably been sporting hearing aids for many a year now - if he's still alive.

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/9/13 10:34am
Msg #460221

That's funny Janet, my wife a daughter are both

teachers and the do the same think. If fact they can play songs/dialog on their whistles like "damnit quit bothering me or worse!

Reply by MikeC/TX on 3/8/13 5:59pm
Msg #460147

Business-to-business calls are not covered by the DNC law

Business-to-consumer calls are covered under specific conditions (e.g., "cold calls" are not allowed if your number is on the DNC list), but many telemarketers are starting to ignore the law because it's just not being enforced.

If you put your cell number in your profile as a way to contact you, that's a business number - no protection under DNC. A better solution if you have a smart phone is to use something like the Mr Number app to block unwanted calls.

Reply by Stoli on 3/8/13 6:33pm
Msg #460153

James, what number does he call from? What # to block? n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/8/13 6:38pm
Msg #460155

Stoli, who cares? read OP again n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/8/13 6:36pm
Msg #460154

Re: Business-to-business calls are not covered by the DNC law

Mike did you read OP? Bagger's post? Do you know what "issue" I'm addressing? If you list your home number as a way to contact you is THAT a business? If you don't HAVE an business what are the rules then?
I'm not talking about "blocking calls" I'm talking about being able to file a complaint because somebody you don't want to talk to calls you. If it is a solicitation call, they are supposed to check the DNC registry. If they call ANYWAY they can be fined, be fined, be fined!

Reply by walthtz on 3/9/13 7:33am
Msg #460199

Solution: What I do is use my cell only for Business & Family.
Then I have a home phone for all else.
This has worked for me as long as I have been doing this work. About 15 years.
Have to have a home phone for out bound faxing.
Walt in NJ.

Reply by walthtz on 3/9/13 7:35am
Msg #460200

You can also go tou carrier & block those calls, You may have to pay for that.
Depending on the Phone you use, there are apps that will do the trick.
1 app I used on My Blackberry was MR Number & it's free.
Walt in NJ.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.