Notary Rotary
Got called to do a signing today?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Kate/PA on 3/12/13 8:25pm
Msg #460843

A mile from my house. I received a call around noon from National messenger in California. He asked me if I was farmiliar with E-docs & how much my fees are. I explained to him that I am a relatively new notary his normally travels to hospitals and private houses. I told him I'm taking a one day course at Bucks County Community college on March 29 for signing agent training, and that I still have not completed an "official signing" except or a few debt resolutions. But I have been studying with a book by Nancy Or am. He thanked me for my honestly & said he needed an experience person for this client. So I recommended a experienced Philadelphia notary I new of. I gave him the notary's name & he suggested I go on a "ride along" & said he would save my website & information & contact me in the future.

Do you think I did the right thing by turning down this assignment?

How to get experience?
Everyone seems to want it.
Where to get "ride along"?

Reply by notary/OR on 3/12/13 10:51pm
Msg #460870

Well, sounds like you didn't exactly turn it down. Have confidence in yourself, tell them your relatively new but would love to take the signing and do it! Pay close attention to the documents...don't try to explain them if you don't understand, just make sure they sign everywhere there is a signature line and notarize the appropriate documents. Figure out what your prices are going to be so your not caught off guard with that!

Do you know any notaries that are experienced from a different area that would let you tag along for a day or two? It would really help if you could connect with a professional experienced notary.

Reply by Kate/PA on 3/13/13 12:05am
Msg #460880

Would like to, but I don't know anyone. Also I live 10 minutes from New Jersey maybe a Nj notary could help me since we are not really "competition"

Reply by janCA on 3/13/13 9:21am
Msg #460911

Don't agree at all.

Kate, you absolutely did the right thing.

Take the signing agent class and familiarize yourself with the loan docs so you have a grasp of the document you are presenting to the borrower/s. Don't become a point and sign notary, that is not what being a signing agent is all about, and that is not what a hiring company wants from you and that is not how you are going to make a good fee that sustains your business.

And read this forum as you will acquire so much information and any question you have, search it out here, because you will find it.

Good luck in this endeavor, you have started out on the right foot.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/13/13 10:58am
Msg #460941

I agree, too. I don't recommend anyone taking loan

signing work until they know what they're doing. She's brought up that she's taken the debt resolution assignments, and many of us won't touch those. IMO newbies are easy pick'ns for unethical cos.

Reply by notary/OR on 3/13/13 3:19pm
Msg #461004

There is no better experience than hands on

It helps alot to be able to tag along with someone for training and somewhat helpful to take the document training courses, but experience and situations that come up can't be taught. Like any job, training is helpful but actually working is the best teacher. The title company is there for questions that come up...she should take the work if it come her way.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/13/13 10:13pm
Msg #461083

Re: There is no better experience than hands on

That may be true, but not to start out. Kate said that she hasn't taken her signing agent class yet and a good educational foundation - especially in something where there is so much on the line and so much potential liability - is essential. Once you've learned the basics, then you can go out and have the real world experience mean something. There's lots to study first.

Also, Kate, I think you did the right thing because an e-signing is not the thing to cut your teeth on!

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 3/13/13 12:32pm
Msg #460975

Kate, I hope at least that you were able to go along on that signing. I may have withheld the "experienced" notary's name and just asked if it would be ok just that one time to have an experienced agent "supervise" me at the signing. It would have been a great learning experience (especially since the location was just a mile away in case you missed something and had to go back).

I got my 1st signing almost 6 months after my training - and believe me, I made mistakes; but I corrected them at my own expense and was proud of my efforts. I made other mistakes early on in my notary experience; and many of the things I've revised in my procedures have come from the "live" hands on process of seeing what works and what doesn't.

Another thing, a signer can actually be more intimidating (or not) than the actual documents. But don't let that happen! Treat everyone the same and practice becoming proficient in the "process" - which includes the people skills. Relax and smile Smile

Reply by Kate/PA on 3/13/13 7:30pm
Msg #461061

Thanks for the advice!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.