Notary Rotary
How I handle my signings
Notary Discussion History

How I handle my signings
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 3/22/13 11:10am
Msg #462536

How I handle my signings

After many emails and calls from various NP's, I've decided to create this quick video showing how I handle my signings.

Take a look and feel free to complain as you would like... Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWmbCZ_XGI0

Reply by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 3/22/13 11:12am
Msg #462537

<a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWmbCZ_XGI0>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWmbCZ_XGI0

Reply by 101livescan on 3/22/13 11:24am
Msg #462539

A man after my own heart! Way to go, Wayne. You're a winner that's for sure! I have a few differences of opinion in your knowledge base, but nothing huge.

Good on you! Those little guys are blessed to have you in their life!

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/22/13 11:47am
Msg #462542

Agree... don't agree with everything the way he does it, but it's a very credible video and done well. It's worth watching just to see how somebody else does it.

Love the tip about putting the new CA IDs up to the light. I do that as well... made me laugh because people are always surprised at some of the features you can see just by holding up to the light. Smile

There are other small issues and things I wouldn't choose to do... but it's still a pretty good example how one does it. Thanks, Wayne, for being brave enough for sharing this!

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/22/13 12:27pm
Msg #462544

Ditto Marian

Very similar to what I do except I show all Docs. Most borrowers don't except "O, you don't need to see this"....they want to know what it is so I let them see.
Very good video..thanks...

Reply by Luckydog on 3/22/13 12:38pm
Msg #462546

Re: Ditto Marian

I explain the docs "briefly", especially the HUD. I think that is what is expected from the SS at a closing. The video is pretty good, a little drawn out, but good for the beginner. Not sure Fed Ex appreciates you using their envelopes for client storage instead of a clip, or using them to mail for their competitor UPS, but they would never know I guess...something I do not do. Does not look professional, especially when you stress in the beginning on printing your labels on a peel and stick instead of using the clear pocket to look better. To me, using UPS in a Fed Ex envelope just seems wrong, unless you have no choice or an emergency.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/22/13 1:08pm
Msg #462553

" Not sure Fed Ex appreciates you using their envelopes for client storage instead of a clip, or using them to mail for their competitor UPS, but they would never know I guess...something I do not do."

Yeah, I agree with that. Actually, if FedEx got wind of that, they won't be too happy with you. Not only doesn't it look professional, it kind of looks like you're being cheap. And, I'm pretty sure it's against their terms of use. I mean, basically, you're stealing supplies if you think about it. They weren't intended for that use. It's just an ethical issue for me. As a borrower, it would raise my eyebrows.

Order manila envelopes and use them a a standard business expense like the paper. That's what I do, and on the envelope, I attach a label with their name, date with my business information on it. Or, I staple my business card to it. That way, they know who was there handling their loan documents. A box of 100 envelopes is less than $20, it's a small investment and should be part of your overall business expenses.

Office Depot ($19.99 for the 9x12): http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/296278/Office-Depot-Brand-Clasp-Envelopes-9/

Discount Office Supplies: ($19.23... even less if you buy 10 boxes at a time): http://www.discountofficeitems.com/office-supplies/envelopes-forms/envelopes/clasp-envelopes/quality-park-clasp-envelope/p201731.html

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/22/13 1:16pm
Msg #462554

Actually...since I just posted this, the price on those envelopes dropped $5.00 from discount office items. That's a GOOD price for those.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/22/13 3:01pm
Msg #462571

I just picked up a box of 10 x 15 envelopes from Staples also for about $19.95. The larger size will better accommodate 8 1/2 x 14" legal size paper, allowing you to seal it, if necessary. I bought the last box, so I'm guessing it's not something they sell a lot of. I had Staples Rewards that were expiring, but I may have to check out Discount Office Supplies next time.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 3/22/13 3:49pm
Msg #462581

Janet~

That's the same size I use and it's $17.96 for box of 10 at Discount Office Supplies. Checked them out earlier today after Marian posted. Orders over $75 get free shipping; all others, shipping is $7.99 (except for freight).

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/22/13 4:58pm
Msg #462592

Re: Janet~

Thanks, Yoli! Since Staples stopped giving Rewards points for recycling toner (unless you buy more toner from them), I'm not likely to rack up the points like I used to! Wink BTW, is that company the same as Discount Office "Items"? I didn't see anything with "Discount Office Supplies" come up on a Google search. If so, it looks like they have coupon codes available online, too.

(BTW, I might switch to buying toner from this site... I like the idea of more $$ for SEO for Notary Rotary - would love to see them get higher listings in my area! I'm in the process of researching options for that now, too.)

Reply by Yoli/CA on 3/22/13 7:00pm
Msg #462609

Re: Janet~ "Items" ~ Yes n/m

Reply by Karla/OR on 3/22/13 12:47pm
Msg #462548

Thanks Wayne! I am forwarding the info on to my daughter who is getting into the business here shortly in the State of Washington.

I alos learned some good tips!

Reply by jba/fl on 3/22/13 2:39pm
Msg #462569

Overall, very good. But, I do have to ask: Is Coke sponsoring you? The can was positioned just so and drove me nuts. In the future, look from the other side of the desk prior to filming. Or, contact Pepsi and see if they will sponsor you to get that other can off the table.

Reply by Exclusive Mobile Notary on 3/22/13 8:23pm
Msg #462611

Pepsi... I think I just lost my appetite for dinner :-P

Reply by FavNotary/CA on 3/22/13 11:32pm
Msg #462630

I am having trouble with the link for your video and would really like to see it. For some reason, my search tells me it is an invalid address. I just recently renewed my commission after a 2 year break and am really rusty. Any ideas on being able to view your video would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Reply by Calnotary on 3/22/13 5:22pm
Msg #462601

Very good video, I only saw for 3 minutes and in those 3 minutes I disagree on some of your ways of doing things.

I am no saying you are wrong, what I am saying I do it differently.

1.- I never use fed ex pack unless the package is larger than 175 pages. Some lender/titles get charge a different fee if you use those.

2.- I will never use FED EX envelopes for UPS shippings, NEVER! I have turn envelopes inside out when I am short of legal size for other shipper that do not give shipping supplies like Norco, et al

3.- I will never print borrower's copies in 8.5x11. My packages gets printed legal/letter like lender's copy.

4.- No blackberry here, iphone with a wifi hotspot here

5.- ...

Wait my edocs are here, bye.............

Reply by frances arnone on 3/22/13 10:48pm
Msg #462627

-Thanks, Wayne - That was just the assurance I needed that I have been doing my closings the rignt way. I always wanted to see how another NP does this job, now I just need you to let me know how I can get the same volume of work here in NJ

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/23/13 7:29am
Msg #462643

How I handle my signings: VIDEO EMBEDDED

Reply by Natacha Joseph on 3/23/13 8:52am
Msg #462647

Well done, thanks for sharing what’s worked best for you! You were professional, efficient and knowledgeable hence the continued success. All the best towards a profitable and unprecedented work year. –Smiled at the promo of “Notary Rotary dot com.” Good job to that end.

I love to learn and am always interested in seeing how others in the profession hone their craft. I did pick up a few tips from your video! I do things in a completely different format…basically, what works best for me. There is always room for process improvement however. Thank you for posting and taking the time to do the video. Smile

Reply by Leona Greenlow-Turner on 3/23/13 7:39pm
Msg #462716

Thank you for the video. I, too, conduct my signings a little differently. Great job. Very efficient.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/24/13 1:43am
Msg #462747

I pretty much agree with most of the other comments about this. (At least what I can remember... I read this in bits and pieces over a couple of days.) Naturally, everyone has their own style and method that works best for them, but I imagine this could be very helpful for someone very new to this biz, and as others have said, perhaps there's a trick or two for others to pick up, as well.

There were a couple of things, though, that I disagreed with and one observation. (I mention them in case someone decides to take everything said in the video as gospel.) First, on the notarial evidence form, it appeared that a notary stamp was put on the page with the ID info, but there was no borrower signature requested. Here's what the CA handbook says (caps are theirs):

"A NOTARY PUBLIC SHALL NOT USE THE OFFICIAL SEAL OR THE TITLE NOTARY
PUBLIC FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN THE RENDERING OF NOTARIAL
SERVICE. (Government Code section 8207)"

Secondly, nowhere does CA notary law say that the name on the document has to "match" exactly the name on the ID. In the example given where the ID said "Daniel", I would not personally have had a problem with it if the document just said "Dan". I'd venture to guess that a very large percentage of our population goes by a shortened (or slightly modified) version of their given names. That doesn't mean I would automatically accept any variation on a first name, but I don't usually have a problem with a shortened version. (E.g., my brother goes by "Ed", not "Edward".) But that's a judgment each person has to make on their own - and also one that I make on an individual basis.

Finally, on the FedEx envelope issue, I agree with the other comments, but thought it might also be useful to mention that, depending on the agreement a tc has with FedEx, the packs are sometimes more expensive than the cardboard envelopes. I've actually seen at least one company threaten to dock fees for using a pack vs. an envelope. [I thought that was a bit over the top - but I also did a signing for a tc owner for his own home, and he commented on use of packs vs. envelopes and how much more they cost... Wink]

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.