Notary Rotary
Interesting fuss on Change.org
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by BrendaTx on 3/31/13 2:15pm
Msg #463888

http://www.change.org/petitions/national-notary-association-remove-lsi-lps-speakers-from-their-national-conference

Reply by HisHughness on 3/31/13 2:22pm
Msg #463889

His explanation needs some meat on the bones

Who is LPS? Who is Lorraine Brown? What have they done? Why should I care?

I'm not opposed to anything that would plaster egg on the face of XYZ. I'd just like to know the reason behind the omelet.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/31/13 2:30pm
Msg #463890

Yeah, I wanted to ask the same, but...

thought that I'd be the one with the egg facial.

Hey, over 50 people are mad, too!

(Wanted to add and "I'm mad, too, Eddie!" but figured it would not have impressed anyone except a few old Texas souls like me and even they might not remember or care about Eddie being mad back in the day...)

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/31/13 2:39pm
Msg #463891

FWIW....

NNA
December 6, 2012

Law enforcement officials across the country are going after managers who pressure Notary-employees to perform illegal acts — as seen in the recent multi-state charges against former document service executive Lorraine Brown — and the largest state in the nation has posted a clear warning to supervisors that cutting notarial corners is a crime, even if they are not Notaries.

California revised its disciplinary guidelines for Notary misconduct last month, and the updated guidelines are now available in PDF format at the Secretary of State’s website. Page 29 of the revised guidelines states, “Any person who solicits, coerces, or in any manner influences a notary public to perform an improper notarial act knowing the act is improper, including any act required of a notary public in connection with the notary journal, is guilty of a misdemeanor. (Government Code section 8225(a).)”

The guidelines address several areas of Notary misconduct such as knowingly notarizing a fraudulent real estate document, and offering unauthorized immigration advice. It also lists examples of crimes of “moral turpitude” that can disqualify a person from receiving a Notary commission.

Sharing the guidelines with employers and co-workers could help avoid illegal notarization requests. Should you have any questions regarding state Notary law, the NNA’s Notary Hotline counselors are available to answer questions by phone at 888-876-0827 and by e-mail at [e-mail address].

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/31/13 2:44pm
Msg #463892

Re: FWIW....

A search for Lorraine Brown shows she was indicted in practically every state for fraud, forgery, cheating, stealing houses etc. as an employee of an LPS agency.

Reply by HisHughness on 3/31/13 2:50pm
Msg #463895

I'm still in the dark. What is LPS? n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/31/13 2:55pm
Msg #463897

Re: I'm still in the dark. What is LPS?

From its Web site:

"LPS is the nation's leading provider of mortgage processing services; settlement services; default solutions; mortgage performance data/analytics; and real estate solutions. We are committed to helping clients reduce costs, minimize risk and grow their businesses."

And, I should add, the home of the robo notary signers.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/31/13 2:47pm
Msg #463893

Re: FWIW....Thanks, GG.

**Law enforcement officials across the country are going after managers who pressure Notary-employees to perform illegal acts **

I wish it was so, but I don't believe it. Where is Stoli? She is always on top of this kind of thing. Hers and Marian's googled-goo skills are better than mine when it comes to unearthing law enforcement acts related to notaries.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/31/13 2:52pm
Msg #463896

Actually ....

If you clicked on the link listing speakers at the 2013 conference from Brenda's original post , there isn't a one I would trust with a can of dog food. Of course, trust is hardly a factor in the loan/title/SS business.....maybe lack of.

I think Katrina and Marian are out searching for Easter eggs ... as we all should be. Happy Easter!

Reply by Jack/AL on 3/31/13 3:03pm
Msg #463898

LPS is the parent company of LSI, 4.5 stars in SC. n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/31/13 3:12pm
Msg #463900

Re: Actually ....

Isn't that the truth. I see two notaries whose names I recognize and who I feel will be good speakers.

The conference is in Texas. I do not see a Texas speaker, or perhaps I overlooked it.

Reply by Stoli on 3/31/13 4:37pm
Msg #463901

LSI is division of LPS - Lender Processing Services - n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/31/13 5:01pm
Msg #463904

Re: FWIW....Thanks, GG.

I'm not sure when it will happen... but I do know that the CA Sec of State's office is planning to launch an online disciplinary action listing at some point. One of the major changes made was to allow disciplinary actions to be posted online or via press release, whereas before, they were only allowed to publish it in print...like a newsletter. And, because of budget cuts issues, they never actually printed anything. That's why we don't get the annual newsletter mailed to us anymore.. we have to find it online.

The new guideline reads, "Any disciplinary sanction or civil penalty imposed as a result of a decision may be published by the Secretary of State. Additionally, the Secretary of State may issue press releases or other public notices of disciplinary action, including posting notices on the Secretary of State’s website. "

So, what this does is makes it easier for us to find out about disciplinary actions, similar to how we might see them with Real Estate agents or doctors as we can now. It's likely a ways off, though... considering they still can't even create an online listing of notaries that is searchable using a web form... you have to download the 5+MB file and import it to a spreadsheet to search. I get the reasons for it...that kind of file makes it easy for marketing companies and such to pull the raw data, but it isn't very "consumer friendly" to search as it is for, say Real Esate professionals.

For now, it requires a lot of manual searching and detective work.

Reply by Stoli on 3/31/13 5:11pm
Msg #463905

Sign it, or this will be the last signing you ever get!

I’m on another crusade ---
One of my recent borrower’s identification expired outside the limitations in California.
Called the signing service after hours---no answer. Called the loan officer as instructed in the loan package and was told that if I didn’t sign the loan, it would be the last assignment I ever receive.

I very carefully explained the ID issue, and he informed me that I was wrong and could accept the ID presented. Well, I know better, and asked if he would accept a conference call with a more experienced notary to confirm what I already knew to be true. I called GoldGirl, who wouldn’t answer the telephone, so I called Gregory, who correctly quoted California requirements for satisfactory identification.

The loan officer ordered me to stay at the assignment until he could contact the title company. Two hours later I told to sign all of the documents and return them --- and the notarizations would be taken care of on their end. I'll bet there is a notary working at the title company who is afraid for his/her job and will do whatever they're told to do--legal or not.

The title examiner joined the conference call and said I wouldn’t have a problem from their end, so I should go ahead with the signing. Really?

Here’s the deal: notaries are on the wrong side of the balance sheet. We’re not revenue generating, and title-escrow companies don’t like it when the loans don’t close because the loan officers will take their business elsewhere.

The loan officer hires the title company, the title company hires the signing service, and the signing service hires the notary. The whole train is driven by the loan officer and his profit. If they can’t make the notary sign the docs, legal or not, the loan officer threatens to take his business elsewhere.

And, would you like to know how much assistance and support I received from the signing service?

My guess is that this wasn’t the first threat by the loan officer.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/31/13 5:20pm
Msg #463906

Re: Sign it, or this will be the last signing you ever get!

" the notarizations would be taken care of on their end."

Oh, boy. Frown Katrina, I'm glad you didn't try me on the conference call, 'cause I would have been *ALL* over them and 8225'd his *cough*. Anyway, you get the picture. Smile

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/31/13 5:28pm
Msg #463908

This is worthy of starting a new topic.

Been there/done that. No more business from that...Mortgage Broker, not LO, but it's still the same thing. As for 'just get 'em signed'..... hooboy... is that what this is going to come down to?
After the robo-signing debacle--they have still learned nothing???

Gee...Domino's Pizza ought to start a campaign---order 3 large pizzas and get your loan signed.

Reply by JimAZ on 3/31/13 9:36pm
Msg #463917

I don't debate with LO/EO regarding illegal requests (demands). I simply tell them to send an email with their request (demand) so I can forward it to the Arizona SOS and Attorney General for approval. In addition I tell them I will send a copy of their email to the LO's CEO. In the several times this has happened to me (backdating mostly) I've had updated loan docs in an hour. Afterall, Its illegal to ask someone to do something illiegal. I haven't lost any business for having integrity. JMHO

Reply by John Tennant on 3/31/13 9:59pm
Msg #463918

Stoli, after being on this forum for 5 years I appreciate your postings and knowledge. This does not apply to you, however, in my opinion this is a good time to start cleaning up the industry. If it would not damage your business and income, I would hope you would identify the loan officer, the company he works for, and the title company that probably will pressure a scared notary to break the law. You have two witnesses that were involved in the conference call. In addition, how about the SOS being notified about this.

Until we start cleaning up what we are illegally asked to do it will not stop.

You have my word that if that happens to me I will advise the forum, the SOS, and any other regulatory agency.

If they come after me, so be it.

Reply by BobbiCT on 4/1/13 9:14am
Msg #463952

You can't fix fraud

Fraud lasts forever.

Good news for the borrowers if they and their attorney ever want to kill this deal - even YEARS down the road. The title insurance company instructed the employee-notary to commit fraud.

You can't fix that with a Quality Control Review. Smile Not to mention what a Judge and title company licensing bureau will do with it.

Reply by Stoli on 3/31/13 5:45pm
Msg #463910

8225'd his *cough*.

Funny you said that, Marian---- that’s exactly what James said you would say. By the way, he was my third call---because they wouldn’t accept Gregory’s or my opinions.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/31/13 6:06pm
Msg #463912

Re: 8225'd his *cough*.

Heh... it's one of our best defenses, I think. When people get pushy, all I usually have to do is tell them, "Look, I've told you this is illegal. I've told you where to find the law. Now that you know this, let me read you this..."

It usually always shuts them up because I essentially DARE them to ask me again. If they still push I offer to give them the number to the Notary Division so they can file a complaint against me. At that point, they usually just give up because they know I won't give in. Smile

I honestly think that 8225 should be one of the first things we learn about. It's kind of buried in the code and not well taught. I don't even recall it being addressed on the exams either.

Reply by Stoli on 4/1/13 12:36am
Msg #463930

8225 - problem is, no one will enforce the code. They know. n/m

Reply by Stoli on 3/31/13 5:47pm
Msg #463911

I was polite in front of the client---but not once I got out n/m

Reply by Gregory/CA on 3/31/13 8:23pm
Msg #463916

Yep, the borrower was great and understanding

When I was on the conference call with Stoli. Stoli and I then had a better conversation on her drive home.

Oye! :-)

Reply by Stoli on 3/31/13 11:53pm
Msg #463922

John, your thoughtful words of support touched me

John, your thoughtful words of support touched me in a very special way-- especially because they came from you. Thank you for the many times you have assisted, advised and comforted me, and I’ll take the counsel once again.

As you so gently suggested, I’m obligated to contact the SOS, and the tone of your comment has given me courage to move forward. Sharon, Cheryl, Marion, Carol, Brenda, Linda, James, and my special pet, Gregory, work together and support each other when needed, and they've all given moral support on this one. It’s always easier to talk about doing the right thing than it is to do the right thing.

John, if I’m hungry, may I come to your house for dinner? Here goes---

Signature Closers Signing Service

CANYON TITLE COMPANY, LLC
1127 AURARIA PARKWAY, SUITE 101,
DENVER, CO 80204 (303) 831-7575
Canyon Title Officer: Dan
Canyon Title Examiner: Josh Atwood

Loan Officer: Aaron Hardin 949-813-8655
SKYLINE FINANCIAL CORP., A CALIFORNIA
CORPORATION CALIFORNIA.
27001 AGOURA ROAD,
#350, CALABASAS, CA 91301..

Reply by John Tennant on 4/1/13 12:06am
Msg #463925

Re: John, your thoughtful words of support touched me

If you get hungry, come to my house for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and if necessary my wife and I will provide the guest room. You are really an example of what is called a "stand up person" and have my total support.

Reply by John Tennant on 4/1/13 12:13am
Msg #463926

Re: John, your thoughtful words of support touched me

Signature Closers used to be one of my favorite companies. As of right now, I will no longer be doing any closings for them. You can take that to the bank. They owe me for two signings. Lets see if I get them now.

Reply by Stoli on 4/1/13 12:22am
Msg #463928

Don't fault Signature Closers -- they didn't do it.

Signature Closers is one of my favorites, except there isn't a contact telephone number; all communication is done through e-mail. This was an evening signing and no one was available after hours.

There was an instruction sheet in the loan package instructing the notary to contact the loan officer at the conclusion of the signing, which is how I came to be in that uncomfortable position.

Unfortunately, the notary, signing service and title company are all victims to the loan officer's whim because he is the actual revenue stream.

I thank my lucky stars that Greg was available to talk to me because I was very upset on the drive home.

Reply by Signature Closers, LLC - Marketing on 5/30/13 7:28am
Msg #471680

Re: Don't fault Signature Closers -- they didn't do it.

Hi Stoli,

I apologize that you were unable to reach us. Our contact # is 888-677-7462, ext. 1 for notary questions. We offer support from 8 AM - 9 PM EST (which we know unfortunately leaves a bit of a gap for our notaries on the west coast). We do have this number linked to emergency contact numbers so you should have been able to reach a live person. I apologize for our inability to answer your calls and appreciate your comments.

Reply by ananotary on 4/1/13 12:18am
Msg #463927

Performance Title- It was the last signing I ever did for

them. They axed me out of their "database" when I would not notarize capacity for a POA signing. No-no in CA.

Reply by Stoli on 3/31/13 11:55pm
Msg #463923

Jim, there was no debate. The answer was ‘NO’. Hell, no. n/m

Reply by Stoli on 3/31/13 11:59pm
Msg #463924

Darn it---Marian. did it again. n/m

Reply by Stoli on 4/1/13 12:31am
Msg #463929

Ana - Don't fret, my friend.

Performance Title’s main client is Roundpoint, and they add capacity to every single certificate---so I cross it out or attach loose certificate.

Performance might add you back to their list of qualified notaries when the Sacramento County Recorder refuses to record a certificate with capacity,

You’ll get the last laugh. Oh, well, they don’t pay much for a signing anyway.

I don’t remember exactly how Hugh put it, but he said that if we don’t play ball, we’ll be signing for low-paying signing services instead of quality title companies. Hell, one is as bad as the other. It’s all about revenue. ;

Reply by Stoli on 4/1/13 12:39am
Msg #463931

Hey! I did it under my own name - not as a sock puppet. ;-O n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.