Malware warning
Notary Discussion History

Malware warning
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by MikeC/TX on 3/21/13 3:15pm
Msg #462386

Malware warning

Heads up, folks...

The feds are warning about a new and growing threat called ransomware. Hackers dump code on your computer or smartphone (either because you clicked a link in a message or visited an infected site) which encrypts or locks your files. A notice is then displayed, allegedly from DHS or the FBI or some local police authority, stating that your computer or phone has been locked due to some unnamed illegal activity on your part. You are told you must pay a fine in order to get the code that will unlock your files.

If you pay the fine, you get nothing in return and your files remain locked. Instead, a virus may be installed that will attempt to gather personal and financial information.

You can read more about it here:

http://tinyurl.com/cr6wzcs

Anti-virus software maker F-Secure has detailed information about how to deal with it if you are unlucky enough to get it on your computer. That info is located here:

http://tinyurl.com/bo3w25m

If you get it on your smartphone, I think the only way to deal with it is to contact your wireless carrier.

Reply by RonnieB/NC on 3/21/13 3:19pm
Msg #462388

Thanks Mike for the warning.

Reply by Jessica/FL on 3/21/13 3:20pm
Msg #462390

I am scared to click the link! :) n/m

Reply by HSH/WA on 3/21/13 3:39pm
Msg #462395

Re: I got the FBI virus on another computer and was

unable to ever get rid of it even though I took it to the guru several times. I had to buy a new one.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 3/21/13 5:20pm
Msg #462413

Re: I am scared to click the link! :)

Sorry - I use tinyurl because the actuall links are usually too long to paste into a message. The first one is to an article on Yahoo, the second is to F-Secure's website.

Reply by sueharke on 3/21/13 4:30pm
Msg #462401

I don't click on a link in an email if that is the only item in the email. I do read emails that have been forwarded many time. When I doubt, I don't get to read that great joke someone sends. I am a paranoid person when it comes my computer electronics. The delete key is my best friend.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 3/21/13 5:44pm
Msg #462417

I do the same thing, but unfortunately the hackers are finding new ways to get around the paranoia. One of the things they are doing is breaking into legitimate sites and injecting malware, so that an innocent user could be the victim of a "drive-by"; they don't do anything to visibly change the web site, they just add code that will be downloaded by anyone who visits. There was a report today that Facebook has blocked its users from going to links to NBC.com, because a virus was detected on their website...

Security tip for those who use Firefox - go to Tools->Options->Security and check the box that says "Block reported attack sites". Firefox checks in with Google, which crawls web sites on a daily basis looking for malicious code. If the site you're trying to access is on Google's list - no matter how benign you think the site might be - Firefox will raise a warning before allowing you to continue.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.