Notary Rotary
Names on Documents must match Names on IDs
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 3/9/13 12:00am
Msg #460184

I received these written instructions from a title company today for a signing I'm doing over the weekend. It is a Provident ~ picky Provident, that is.

IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!! Please read !!!
IF ANY VARIANCE IN THE SPELLING OF
THE NAME OF THE BORROWER FROM THEIR PHOTO IDS-----
-----or any other party to this transaction
OR ANY VARIANCE IN THE ADDRESS
IS DISCOVERED AT CLOSING.
--------------PLEASE--------------
1.) Call our office from the table for instructions before making any alterations.
2.) If appointment takes place after office
hours you must take reasonable care before making any
alterations AND YOU MUST CONTACT OUR OFFICE the
following day before shipping the signed docs back.

(Failure to comply with this instruction could result in a reduction of fee
or additional trip at your own expense

This is Provident of course.

I think mortgage brokers are "loser" about checking IDs, as evidenced by Carol Graff's experience this week. I think it is a better idea to follow Provident's guidelines to avoid any snafus. It should be a matter of protocol as prescribed by California Government Code.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/9/13 12:25am
Msg #460189

This is very interesting. I just refused to do a Provident loan because the first name on the ID and the name on the docs were two different names. In fact, the name on the docs wasn't even the borrower's name (officially changed it when they became a citizen). Title couldn't have cared less, cut everybody loose, leaving broker yelling at the SS to get the damn thing signed and screw the pesky notary. Obviously, broker didn't want anything to get in the way of midmonth commission. SS caught in the middle. Wanted me to use 2 CIWs. No can do. Borrower has ID, just not in the name on the docs. SS was calling another notary. I'm sure that was no problem.

I "offered" to notarize the Marian way: write borrower's correct name in the acks, but NO, Provident doesn't allow any correx or crossouts to their docs, but they will allow this, apparently.

Provident can get all the picky picky they want ... but often it's only a one-way street.

Would have been nice to have a standup TC in the picture .... (they do exist!)

Reply by Beverly Kinlaw on 3/9/13 5:33am
Msg #460196

most of the time the name on title docs varies from name on lender docs on alot of the loan packages from various companies. Sign with name initial and last name on one doc and then next one name without initial.

Reply by Doris_CO on 3/9/13 10:14am
Msg #460214

Some people are under the impression that when they change their name through the courts, as in marriage, divorce, etc. or in your case, changing their name after becoming a citizen, that it automatically changes every other record with the state. Years ago I had a borrower tell me that. She and her now husband bought the house before they married, so the vesting was in her maiden name. She thought the state would change it after their marriage was recorded.

Reply by 101livescan on 3/9/13 10:35am
Msg #460222

Nope, doesn't replicate all over the place. Just because you have a marriage certificate and you change your SSA name, doesn't mean it changes the County Tax Collector's records. The next time a refi comes up and a preliminary title report is pulled showing any current liens of record, the old name will be there. The credit report will show all names. The DL may have been updated. People fail to make changes to their family trusts as well. I have one one Monday where the lady did amend her trust to show her last married name (original trust was another married name).

Reply by Saul Leibowitz on 3/9/13 10:51am
Msg #460230

Re: Names on Documents must match Names on IDs; name change

when you become a citizen you have a legal right to change your name; your citizenship certificate will have your picture, etc., and the new name and is suitable document for if.
You could use that or a passport issued after that name change.
If that doesn't match the name on title, that is another story.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/9/13 11:43am
Msg #460243

Thanks, Saul, but CA does not include a citizenship certificate as allowable ID for notarial purposes. They kept trying to get me to use it - like they try to get us to use birth certificates, marriage certificates, Costco cards, etc. Spedifically not allowed by CA law or the SOS.

She has a U.S. passport AND a DL, both in her "new name," which doesn't match the name on title. Not even close. Even if it were close, the name on title is no longer her name. She had legally changed it. That was the dilemma... for me, at least. Nobody else, including next notary on the call list, had a problem with it.

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/9/13 1:16pm
Msg #460262

I had Deed in original name then trust Doc in new name after becoming a citizen....I would not do because they didn't modify the deed. No of course the TC said it okay but it is the county recorder that rules the nest, not the TC. Country recorder said NO!
Not all county recorder have the same rules but the larger counties here like Alameda, Contra Costa, Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties are the strictest. They have the authority to reject a recoding just because they have a hang-nail.

Reply by 101livescan on 3/9/13 1:36pm
Msg #460265

Put Santa Barbara on that list too.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.