Notarysigner - being sued by SS
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by jojo_MN on 3/12/13 9:32am
Msg #460713

Wanted to bring this one forward.

You won the case when they sued you; but if you hired an attorney to defend you, can you sue for that amount and the time you had to take off working as a result of the lawsuit? That is always in the back of my mind whenever a situation like this pops up. Maybe that could be why so many don't report companies to the title companies. I right now have a couple that I would like to report, but am afraid that I may have to come up with $$ to pay an attorney.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/12/13 10:05am
Msg #460719

Even winning a lawsuit only gets you a judgement/lien. You may never see any money.

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/12/13 12:00pm
Msg #460744

I represented myself, no bigger you just have to have supporting facts. Did I do the job - yes, did they pay me - no. Of course I had the confirmation, the emails telling me they weren't going to pay me until I filled out the form, yada, yada...doesn't matter.

Actual damages plus punitive damages (make up for loss wages, expenses). After you obtain a judgement, you can freeze their bank account, serve the TC they work for and the checks will come to you, etc. Lot's you can do.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/12/13 2:37pm
Msg #460763

Did you collect on that one? n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/12/13 3:49pm
Msg #460770

Re: Did you collect on that one?

Only the defendant has right's to appeal the decision, He was the plaintiff. I was happy with the verdict because it set a precedent for ALL of us.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.