Notary Rotary
Oh, HARRY....JUST THOUGHT OF ANOTHER REVENUE SOURCE FOR NR
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 3/21/13 7:19pm
Msg #462438

What about requiring the owners of signing services who register with NR to purchase a background check, just we all do, and you be the custodian of those records. If there are any wrong doers in the companies, then they can't be registered here.

This would certainly put you in the lead of forums in this space for notaries. No other board cares enough...it's all about the bucks.

Then we'd all rest easier than the companies actually registered here have been screened and no one was just released from prison or got off probation last week.

I think it's only a matter of time before the TCs start requiring no only a background check but liability insurance. I don't think that's a requirement at this time.

Thanks for taking care of us in SC this morning. You were ON IT! and we all appreciae it immensely.

Reply by LeeA on 3/22/13 5:01am
Msg #462506

Signing Companies have to have Background checks already.

I can tell you that Title Companies and Lenders that I work with do require background checks for anyone who handles the paperwork in my Office. We go one step farther and require all my staff to have one.

With the new laws, Everyone will have to have a background check. Starting April 1, 2013, all notaries, we hire will have to have a background check on file as well.

Vetting, is causing this which is Part of Dodd Frank, and most lenders want Background checks, from certain companies. I can tell you that Most we work with want NNA. Since ALTA is recommending NNA most large title companies and even small title will require, since that what the ALTA and the Underwriters are recommending. To me it doesn't matter but to our clients it does. We are not getting any kick back as I read that some people are posting that large companies are.

Thanks
Janet Angi
Angi Closing and Title Services. F/K/ Angi Notary Signing Services

Reply by 101livescan on 3/22/13 11:14am
Msg #462538

Re: Signing Companies have to have Background checks already.

This is so interesting, Lee, because there are some companies in business, unlike yours, who could not pass the background screening due to prior convictions, unless the lender is "looking the other way." I know that insurers will not insure companies whose owners/employees have questionable ethics and prior convictions.

Not even the fast food restaurants will hire folks with misdemeanors and felonies involving forgery/fraud, spousal abuse, issues of moral turpitude. Glad to hear this is in the works. I know of at least two signing services who have failed to meet these minimum requirements. Both are located in California. I'm happy to see this is about to change the course of our business.

Reply by sueharke on 3/22/13 1:36pm
Msg #462562

Re: Signing Companies have to have Background checks already.

How about doing a background check on NNA to see how effective the BCG are? Why not get a third party to review all sources of BCG (like Consumers Reports evaluates products) to see which has the best product for the money paid? Be sure to cite the good and bad of each BCG from each company.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.