Notary Rotary
Pa capacity on cert ?
Notary Discussion History

Pa capacity on cert ?
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by melissa/pa on 3/7/13 10:29pm
Msg #459972

Pa capacity on cert ?

On a PA ack is wtta required on the cert if the mtg was signed that way? Tite is saying it has to be on there per recorders office. I've read many previous posts on the topic but could to find a definitive answer for PA.

Reply by Teri_PA on 3/8/13 5:45am
Msg #459993

In PA your vesting page, signature page, and notary block have to match exactly to record. The smart thing to do would be to do a new deed, but laziness prevails. So, as long as you can notarize the first part of the WATA, you can notarize.

Reply by melissa/pa on 3/8/13 7:26am
Msg #459999

Thank you. I thought that was right but second guessed myself. I am ok on the id because they just added the middle initial which was on DL. They did a qcd deed too but wtta appeared on mtg too.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 3/8/13 8:17am
Msg #460006

Re: Pa capacity on cert ? (Word choice)

I don't know what PA recorders require or what PA notaries are allowed to do. But I really don't think any extra words near the signer's names are always a capacity. In my mind, capacity means the signer is indicating he is acting on behalf of some person or organization, such as an attorney-in-fact, trustee (who acts for the trust), president of a corporation, or notary (who acts for the people of his/her state). A person who signs with two versions of his name is acting only as an individual, himself, so the extra name(s) are aliases, not capacities. He didn't become a different person when he changed his name.

Reply by Teri_PA on 3/8/13 10:52am
Msg #460058

You are correct. I understood what she was asking and could answer her question simply. I felt no need to get technically correct.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 3/8/13 11:25am
Msg #460062

It doesn't matter for the transaction discussed in this thread, but if newbies from a state that specifically forbids mentioning capacity in a notarial certificate stumbles across the thread, it might be helpful if they gain a clear idea of what capacity is, and isn't, especially since the word tends to be thrown around kind of loosely on the forum.

Reply by Teri_PA on 3/8/13 12:43pm
Msg #460084

One of the reasons I infrequently comment on this forum or respond is that I do not relish having responses dissected. I try to be helpful, but do not have the time or energy to sit there and carefully craft every sentence to not offend or to be technically correct in every word choice. I have been a signing agent full time for 15 years and also own a successful tax practice. During this time of year, I am very crabby, so kindly bear with my cynical response. Plus, its snowing like crazy and I have no docs for any of my evening appointments!

Reply by jba/fl on 3/8/13 12:52pm
Msg #460088

"I do not relish having responses dissected. I try to be helpful, but do not have the time or energy to sit there and carefully craft every sentence to not offend or to be technically correct in every word choice."

Can I borrow this the next time I get picked apart for putting out a quick response that doesn't quite pass muster with some of the picky ones? I am so in agreement with you here.

Reply by Teri_PA on 3/8/13 1:03pm
Msg #460092

Absolutely.....Some agents who have shared a lot of wisdom over the years (Sue/PA comes to mind, and a whole host of others), stopped posting for this reason. Many people lost a voice of reason and experience by nitpicking.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 3/8/13 2:42pm
Msg #460114

I didn't comment in the spirit of the earlier posts being wrong; they served the purpose of answering question that was originally asked. My comment was in the spirit of "If you aren't one of the original posters, and are reading this, here's something to think about before you apply the advise in the thread to a different situation."

We often see newbies being advised to read through the old posts so they'll know what to watch out for. I mean no disrespect to the earlier posters.

Reply by Teri_PA on 3/9/13 4:44am
Msg #460195

I think it is time for me to go back to my perusing the board vs. participating...Much easier and less stressful...I'll help people privately through PM when I think my help might be welcomed...

Reply by Barb25 on 3/8/13 7:22pm
Msg #460161

Okay, it's Friday night and I am tired. I will probably live to regret asking this question but I cannot go to sleep tonight unless I ask. What the heck is wtta? Maybe when I know I will be able to figure out the rest of the question asked. If not, I too look forward to the answer.

Thanks.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/8/13 7:55pm
Msg #460164

Who Took Title As n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.