Notary Rotary
Printing driver license with phone camera
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Paul Mees on 3/18/13 3:36pm
Msg #461850

I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 phone. When I take a picture of a driver license, it looks great on the screen (both phone and computer). When I try to print the same picture I get mostly a black picture. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply by Frances Kany on 3/18/13 4:15pm
Msg #461854

I have a Galaxy also. I found that turning off the flash for the camera helps a great deal.

Reply by BestFlCloser on 3/18/13 4:26pm
Msg #461857

Use CAMSCANNER app for the Galaxy. n/m

Reply by David Norcia on 3/18/13 4:28pm
Msg #461859

Re: Use CAMSCANNER app for the Galaxy. n/m

Reply by BestFlCloser on 3/18/13 4:29pm
Msg #461860

Re: Use CAMSCANNER app for the Galaxy.

Sorry I hit the wrong key.

The CamScanner app is great. It takes a great image. You can size the image, trim it then save and email to yourself for a quick print, which comes out better than a copy. Try it, it's free. I've been using it with my S3 for a while and it works great.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 3/18/13 6:56pm
Msg #461875

Quit shooting pictures on the advice of my attorney

According to my lawyer an associate of Dewey Screwem & Howe. He said by taking the picture on your cell it opens me up for a search of my phone and any accessory to it, if the person were to have any episode of ID theft down the line.

According to him the line would go something like this by their attorney. Can you think of anyone who would have your license or any other piece of your ID? Of course my name would come up as shooting the picture and then they would rummage for my business card, and the game is on.

Now I tell them in advance to have a copy, and if they don't I tell them to contact their LO and work through them.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/19/13 1:33am
Msg #461917

I think this is great advice

You may not have anything to hide, but who needs the aggravation? Falling into a situation like that is bound to be very time consuming and potentially costly - especially if you end up needing to hire legal counsel. I believe getting a copy of the ID should be done by the lender at the beginning of the process. Unfortunately, it seems to be one more task that has rolled down hill to land in our lap. I've accepted that anymore we need to ask the borrowers to provide a copy of their ID, but I prefer to not receive an electronic copy.

Reply by Paul Mees on 3/19/13 9:58am
Msg #461948

Re: Quit shooting pictures on the advice of my attorney

Let's face it. Whether or not you use your phone to photograph a client's driver license, you already have every piece of personal information on the borrower other than the size of their underwear. I think your advice is wise and I won't do this anymore.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/18/13 7:02pm
Msg #461876

I'm confused as to why anyone still does this...

taking photos pf people's IDs is a serious security issue. I'm honestly confused as to why any notaries still do this.

Get a small portable, simple copier (like the Canon PC 170) or make it a business policy that that the borrowers make their own copies.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 3/18/13 7:53pm
Msg #461887

This is yet another example ...

... of the extra work piled on the notary by lenders/TCs that many notaries just blindly accept as part of the job. Our hiring agencies have no regard for the perilous position this puts us in because they don't give a hoot about us orour commissions or liability as long as we do what it takes to get the loan signed and all docs and documentation returned. Reminds me of the new idiotic requirement from some hiring agency that the notary is to check ID with some sort of uv gadget to make sure it's not phony. Paleeeeze!

In fact, didn't someone post recently that FASS now prohibits notaries taking cell phone photos of IDs?

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/18/13 8:33pm
Msg #461892

Re: Ditto..I wouldn't do it either..anybody know why this is

REQUIRED anyway? Not everyone asked for it!

Reply by MikeC/TX on 3/18/13 8:42pm
Msg #461893

Re: I'm confused as to why anyone still does this...

I kept a Canon PC170 in the trunk of my car in case there was a need for ID copies the BO couldn't provide. I would never take a photo of the BO's ID on my phone or any other camera - why would I need a copy of that on my personal equipment?

Any of you who are still doing the photo thing - stop, and stop NOW. You're opening yourself to potential lawsuits for ID theft. Either insist that the borrowers provide a copy, or invest in a Canon PC170 (less than $100, depending on where you shop) This is an analog copier, which means it doesn't retain what you copy (unlike the digital copiers at places like Kinko's and Staples that store copies to a hard drive). Run your BO's ID through the PC170 and you're done - the only copy of it is that one page you're going to send to lender or TC.

Reply by MW/VA on 3/18/13 9:34pm
Msg #461899

I completely agree, Mike. I've seen many instructions from

ss about taking a photo of the ID with a digital camera or phone. I won't do it. I carry a small all-in-one (printer, scanner, etc.) that does a good job of making a copy in those situations where the borrower forgot my request. I even explain to the borrowers that I make a copy of their ID in front of them so they know exactly what I'm doing with it. I don't want anyone's ID on my phone & don't want to take on that liability.
One of my cc's was compromised a few years ago, where a store employee was taking pictures of people's cc's without their realizing it.
Some stores have signs posted now that they don't want anyone using a phone when they're in a check-out line. There's too much security risk these days for this kind of thing.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/18/13 10:18pm
Msg #461908

Same here... I carry one as well.

I have a Canon PC170 as well. In fact, it's the second one I've owned. The one I have now is one I bought from another notary right here at NotRot. Yes, it's gear in the trunk, but it's worth it.

I would never, EVER allow a notary to take a photograph of my ID. I'm not sure why so many people this this is still a good practice.

Reply by walthtz on 3/18/13 9:32pm
Msg #461898

Email the picture to your self & print from your computer
Then you have a lot more settings to work with.

Reply by sueharke on 3/19/13 11:08am
Msg #461957

Why not have the client email the pic of the DL to title. If you take the pic of the DL and email it to yourself, you still have to print it somewhere and then get it off your cell phone.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.