Notary Rotary
Reading some signing central comments
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Buddy Young on 3/30/13 3:32pm
Msg #463799

I don't think we should be rating SS unless we work for them.

You all know that I've been an advocate of more accurate rateings in signing central. I read some comments today about a company that was rated 4-5 stars, almost everyone rated this company exceptional. There were some 1 star ratings from notaries who never worked for this company, job offer not accepted, pay too low,etc. Does this deserve a 1 star rateing?

I do realize that we should give more weight to the comments than the rateing.

I read an earlier thread about badnotaries and how their rateings were unfair. In turn I think we need to be fair in our rateings. JMO

Reply by 101livescan on 3/30/13 4:10pm
Msg #463801

I couldn't agree with you more, Buddy. On the same note, if a company is determined to be not operating under BEST PRACTICES of our industry, specifically with Gramm-Leach-Bliley regarding protecting and safeguarding borrowers' private and financial information, this needs to be disclosed too.

Companies who backdate documents should be called on it. I frankly am dumbfounded by the fact that notaries much jump through so many hoops to even become notaries, and what signing services get by with, it's astounding.

As Toni posted recently, she and others have been asked to conduct the signing, but not complete the notary instruments by signing and stamping, the TC's will do. WHAT!!!???? So perhaps our lenders don't like that too much!

Signing Services seem to have slipped through the cracks, but I see that crack in the coming months closing, regulations will tighten, the bar will be raised on insurance requirements and other background check safeguards will be put in place, and individuals with "checkered" pasts will disappear from the signing service business. It is already happening.

Undoubtedly, they will surface in other places. As a certified live scan fingerprinting place, I continue to be amazed that more and more professions are required to have their fingerprints on file with the DOJ/FBI. Check cashing centers, anyone with "hands-on" care, instruction, supervisory, etc. of underage and elderly. It's only a matter of time before tow truck drivers will line up outside my door, and I'll be tempted to send them to the police department around the corner, because they tend to be an unsavory lot unless they are AAA approved tow centers.

Notaries/NSAs are sitting ducks.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/30/13 4:22pm
Msg #463802

I agree that the website in question that had everyone up in arms should be a lesson to us, having seen what it's like when the shoe is on the other foot - so we should be extra careful to be fair. In principle, at least, it makes sense that ratings should be based on personal experience vs. hearsay, but that would mean that in order for someone to rate the real bad low-ballers, they would have to first accept a signing from them. Hopefully that's less and less likely to happen. But if those ratings don't get posted, it's also less likely that newer people will know they are a lowballing company.

I think it could be argued that getting an offer that is ridiculously low is "personal experience". Maybe it would be a good idea to rate them a 2, if no other knowledge about them is available. It would be wonderful if the rating field were larger so people include the amount of the offer and other info, like attitude, how they handled it, etc., but we can always post comments on the forum and link them to the SC listings.

I think your point is very valid, though, when it comes to posting opinions and comments about other companies because of something we heard or read about a company we have no personal experience with (although there are probably a couple of key exceptions, i.e. the serial, chronic non-payers).

Reply by Susan Fischer on 3/31/13 12:29am
Msg #463848

Nodding in agreement, Janet. n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/31/13 12:45am
Msg #463850

I know that when I look at the ratings, I read the comments rather than pay attention to the number of stars. I also look at the dates that the comments were posted. When you've got a rush of 4-5 star comments over a small time period, something's obviously not quite right there.

Also, I find it valuable to read comments form people who have been offered nothing but low fees or were unable to get them to pay more. It helps me know if they are worth negotiating with or not.

To me, it's a big picture thing. Stars are not necessarily accurate or indicative of anything, though they may be a clue in assessing the overall situation.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/31/13 6:31am
Msg #463858

Ditto Janet, Susan, Marian n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 4/4/13 10:05am
Msg #464403

Re: Ditto Janet, Susan, Marian

I have been going back through FormerEO posts since I learned this is Howard Blum's spouse, Hiroko Suzuki, a former EO at First American Title in San Francisco. Aw, hasn't she been having fun lately, but as smart an EO as she may have been at one time, she certainly has screwed things up on this board for Howard Blum and Pro Mobile Notary. Seems that Howard now wants to bury me with Fidelity and First American. Can't wait to see how the snake recoils and strikes next.

Meanwhile, isn't the quietude and serenity nice, no Howard the Coward for a few days is pretty nice, huh?

101livescan.com

Reply by 101livescan on 3/31/13 9:33am
Msg #463864

We can only take the ratings with a grain of salt these days, because clearly the owners of the SSs are able to manipulate their own ratings. A five star company to me is one that pays more than $100, pays in 30 calendar days or less, doesn't micromanage the assignment, pays extra for fax backs, and has a longstanding and solid reputation in its field.

If you sort the SSs by stars, we have fewer and fewer 4 and 5 star SSs. Sign of the times.

Reply by FormerEO on 3/30/13 5:34pm
Msg #463809

Personally, I think the abuses, excesses and over-the top-bashing of some SS in this forum and the abuses I have seen in the signing central rating area is responsible for your seeing the emergence of badnotary.com. I believe this group brought the wrath of some signing services upon yourselves.

No doubt there are other similar websites that are likely to pop up now that things are slowing down somewhat (not for me) and people have more time to do these things. I read all the comments in a prior post on this subject about how if a SS does not like a NSA, they should not hire them again rather than bash them on badnotary.com.

The same can be said for NSAs not accepting the next assignment from that SS company rather than indulge in the mob mentality that seems to be rampant with a few of people on this website beating them up. Giving a SS a 1-star rating because they offered you an assignment for $100 and branding them a lowballer even though you turned the gig down is a contributing factor to the seething wrath that is percolating to the surface within the signing services community.

Accepting an assignment from a SS that clearly states their payment policy is 60 days to receive a 1-star rating because they did not pay in 30 days is also part of the problem you people have created for yourselves. You want to bash SS at every opportunity, whether justified or not, and are seeing the heated reaction and response to it.

The incessant ranting and completely off topic rants by 101livescan and others like her likely encouraged the folks that put up the badnotary.com site to do it. Look at how she went totally off topic with her response to Buddy's post.

Doen't feel so good to have the tables turned, does it? It just might be the karma train pulling into the station.

I also know of some signing services that have created "blackballed" lists of NSAs that are being shared between some SS owners in response to some of the over-the-top, excessive and unfair comments posted in the forum.

You want to cull the herd of SS that do not live up to your expectations of how they should be doing their jobs and they want to cull the herd of bad signing agents not doing theirs. Do any of you doubt there are bad signing agents out there promoting themselves on this site? Just read some of the "help me please" posts that surface all the time.

Reply by bagger on 3/30/13 5:48pm
Msg #463810

You are hilarious

The last version of this website was built by that great SS any experienced signer has come to know and abhor - Speedy!
They took it down, why? Probably because SA's began boycotting!
You want to defend these SS's?
And stay anonymous?
What a backbone!

Reply by FormerEO on 3/30/13 6:10pm
Msg #463812

Re: You are hilarious

You are very wrong about that website being offline. It is up and running.

You are just as very wrong in suggesting I am defending those services.

I suggest you need to consider taking a reading comprehension course.

I am trying to provoke some rational thought and discussion about the situation, but apparently you are incapable of that.

Reply by JimAZ on 3/30/13 6:48pm
Msg #463821

Re: You are hilarious

"I am trying to provoke some rational thought and discussion about the situation, but apparently you are incapable of that." And then you use the term "you people" in your post. Rational thought???? Obviously you are on one side and NSA's are on the other. I have no concern about your negative notary site. I have loyal clients because I do a good job for them and my reputation speaks for itself. I don't even answer the phone for less than four stars. I'm in business to do loan signings, not do collections with deadbeat SS's and TC's.

Reply by bagger on 3/30/13 7:45pm
Msg #463824

WOW

Who said it was offline?
One word for you, and the SS's that would support this type of site, Boycott
You cannot exist without us!
This industry can exist without you!
Think about it.

Reply by hodgy on 3/30/13 6:08pm
Msg #463811

Re: FormerEO

You told me I shouldn't be posting about "that website" yet I look at your post and see the name listed THREE TIMES in your post. My message didn't even reference the name and you feel you can counsel me?

Think about that....

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 3/30/13 6:29pm
Msg #463814

You too have a serious reading comprehension problem.

Go back and reread what I posted under your discussion "that website."

Reply by hodgy on 3/30/13 6:32pm
Msg #463815

Who are you Pro Mobile Notary? You didn't post under "that website" to me. You are hilarious!

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 3/30/13 6:43pm
Msg #463817

I guess you'll just have to burn me on a cross for making a typo.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/31/13 12:10am
Msg #463846

I don't think that's a typo... I think it's you having multiple accounts, which is against the TOU for this site

"IMPORTANT: One account is allowed per person (who may be doing business as a company)."

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/31/13 9:43am
Msg #463865

I was just going to post something about this!

And, before I saw the issue with Hodgy.

I have been reading FEO's posts and thought that the language and accustions, etc. sounded very, very familiar!

LOL.

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 3/30/13 6:40pm
Msg #463816

FormerEO & Pro Mobile Notary - one in the same??

Is it me or did Howard just goof up?

Reply by hodgy on 3/30/13 6:43pm
Msg #463818

Re: FormerEO & Pro Mobile Notary - one in the same??

Yes Howard do you have any other names on here?

Reply by 101livescan on 3/30/13 6:44pm
Msg #463820

Re: FormerEO & Pro Mobile Notary - one in the same??

No friend. Howard is just not on top of his game today. Howard, you're out of the closet. Remember that letter you sent me on December 20 accusing me of futzing with your ratings and threatening me with a lawsuit, I politely asked you for an apology? One never came? You used the same lingo, "karma" and a few others. You've just lost all credibility here.

You just can't be nice, can you? We don't need your sleazy games...Go home. You're not our friend.

Reply by jba/fl on 3/30/13 9:35pm
Msg #463834

Howard is lacking a bit in the manners department.

He said he would never hire me, forgetting I had already done a job for him. Called me a liar for saying I had worked for his company, when he called me stating he is the only 5 star service listed on NotRot, and when I sent him all the particulars except for the name of the BO, he zipped up and went to attack elsewhere.

Apology - I don't think in his vocabulary.

Reply by 101livescan on 3/30/13 9:49pm
Msg #463836

Re: Howard is lacking a bit in the manners department.

Too arrogant to realize that in the eyes of the pros on this forum, he has committed professional suicide. How can we take this jokester seriously, in spite of all his so called "credentials". I've never worked for Howard, never yearned to, and of course, now wouldn't work for him no matter what the fee. No honor, no integrity, clearly a bullying monster. I will only work for the best who respect my effort, hard work, knowledge and professionalism.

Classless, tacky, rude dude.

Reply by ToniK on 3/30/13 7:15pm
Msg #463822

Re: FormerEO & Pro Mobile Notary - one in the same?? BUSTED!

Wow!!!! Thats crazy!

Reply by bagger on 3/30/13 8:05pm
Msg #463825

Busted! n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/31/13 9:50am
Msg #463869

Wait!! HB is NOT ONLY an economist, he is also a Former EO?

Before we wade off here too deeply, we'll have to let Harry determine if the IP info matches up. Harry will know.

Reply by 101livescan on 3/31/13 10:16am
Msg #463871

Re: Wait!! HB is NOT ONLY an economist, he is also a Former EO?

I wonder if Howard remembers our California notary Public Oath, all encompassing, but he also seems to have forgotten common courtesy on this board. I don't want to lose the essence of our code of ethics for notaries nationwide. I will post in a separate thread.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/31/13 10:46am
Msg #463877

Unfortunately, sockpuppets don't get much respect. n/m

Reply by CarolF/NC on 3/30/13 9:26pm
Msg #463831

Why do you use at least two anonymous listings and why do people dislike you so much? I think you posted about Raj, but that's just me thinking it was you. I try to stay out of most of this petty stuff.

Why can't SS and notaries play nicely together? We just want to be treated and paid fairly.

I have a scenario for the one of you that operates as a SS if you choose to answer.

I received a call from a SS I work with on a regular basis for a signing in Blank Town for $100 for a standard conventional refi, I was told. The following morning I receive the confirmation, as their computers were down the previous evening. This signing is not in Blank Town, it is 20 minutes past Blank Town which is very rural and the only part of the signing associated with Blank Town is the mailing address. I call SS and say, this is 20 minutes past where I believed it to be. Sorry, we didn't know. I hinted but did not ask for additional fee as this is the first time this has happened with them.

I have a 3PM signing then Blank Town at 6PM . Then I receive one for 8:30PM 50 minutes back in my home area. OK, still good. Time to make the 6 and 8:30. When I get the papers for Blank Town it is 183 pages of docs for an FHA with copies printed for each borrower = 3 copies. I call, ok they add $10 for printing. Really not sufficient. My mind was saying turn this back. But for the most part I like this company and it's 3 hours before the signing and I know it will be hard for them to find someone to cover this rural area. I print and run to my 3PM and when done am enroute to the 6PM signing and GPS keeps saying you are at your destination. Call BO and ask where are you? We stay on the phone and he talks me in through some 20 acres of property he owns. Through the sand valleys, up the hills, over the ditches, through the pasture, around a hair pin turn, through the forest and finally I arrive 10 minutes late. I had verified the address with BO, didn't think to ask if he was 10 miles off the last GPS signal. Start going through loan docs and every single page needed signed and initialed. Mr. BO got so tired he started signing his wifes name. The signing story is very long with lots of mishaps as the documents really were from hell and an elderly couple, but very kind and sweet. 2 1/2 hours later I'm done and start my treacherous journey back home where I arrive at 10PM.

Here's the dilema I had. I had an 8:30 signing scheduled. When I saw those 183 pages all needed signing and initials I knew there was no way I could make that 8:30. I called the SS and explained what had happened. They said they understood, but I could tell they were very upset. I'm sure I'm now blackballed from their list and may soon be on my way to the badnotary.com site, which I do think is BS as you can't defend yourself. And, I lost $115 signing for a signing that I certainly made very little on. I'm thinking after expenses and taxes I worked for free.

My thinking is that the SS that gave me the 183 doc signing from hell, had no way to know this would be a 40 minute farther drive, but they sure should have known this was going to be a huge FHA package with lots of signings. But they say they didn't know and didn't look at the package. They also offered no additional compensation, which personally I feel is quite unfair. And yes, they are aware of the whole horrid story and the signing I had to punt on.

So Howard, what should I have done to keep both of these signing companies happy? Which one should I have turned back? I know which one I wanted to turn backSmile And am I wrong in thinking that first signing service should have offered additional compensation?

This is why badnotary.com is not fair. I could get blacklisted for something I feel was not in my control and was in my opinion either the fault of the SS for not knowing their clients packages or for really trying to take advantage of me.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 3/30/13 9:56pm
Msg #463837

Howard, it's Passover.

Time to clean the chometz out of your cupboard!

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/30/13 6:43pm
Msg #463819

FormerEO and Pro Mobile Notary are the same person???

It's been a long day, but that's my 'take-away' also from this thread and the 'that website' thread below.

Reply by 101livescan on 3/30/13 7:19pm
Msg #463823

Howard, you have exceeded all my expectations for you!

Yes, indeed the supreme, superior being who called this forum a cesspool and has the reputation for bullying notaries? I will happily share the email Howard sent to me last year threatening to sue me telling me "karma" was about to tap me on the shoulder.

Howard, I think you have a bit to learn about karma yourself.

You have certainly lived up to your character here today. Thank you for showing your real self to this forum. And this, folks, is an example of a five-star signing service? I think not.

Howard, you're just too full of yourself. You have clearly outsmarted yourself.

Let me now share the threatening email Howard Blum sent me for Christmas last year:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: <[e-mail address]>;
Subject: YOur posts to my ratings
Sent: Fri, Dec 21, 2012 2:21:52 AM

I now know you are the one that is repeatedly reposting that baseless one star rating for my company without ever having done a signing assignment through us.

I will be meeting with my attorney in a few days to see what is the best course of legal action to take against your for your vicious and malicious posts that are clearly intended to do harm to my company.

I do believe your karma is about to tap you on the shoulder.

See you in court.

HB

My response to HB

I am 1000% confident your email is misdirected as I have never visited your NR profile until this morning. To confirm this I suggest you contact Harry and he can tell you i have never rated you. I don't think I have ever signed with you in my 12 years as an NSA. I work 95% directly with title escrow and lenders.

I am pretty sure you are mistaking me for another notary with my first name in the bay area.

A few years back this individual quoted me in her blog. I contacted her about this posting without my permission. She seems to be a loose cannon. I haven't seen her posting on NR in a very long time

In any case I would appreciate your verifying with Harry that I am not the culprit. An apology is definitely in order. I am far too busy for these kinds of forum ploys.

Professionally yours, Cheryl Elliott

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Reply by John Tennant on 3/30/13 9:26pm
Msg #463830

Re: Howard, you have exceeded all my expectations for you!

The "loose canon" has not posted because Harry kicked her off. She has derided a number of notaries on this forum, without cause. In addition, she has taken on an attorney, judge, and the San Diego press, and lost. "Loose Canon", more like nuts. And yes, after this she will probable take another "shot" at me. So be it.

Reply by HisHughness on 3/30/13 9:05pm
Msg #463828

A couple of points, Howard

1. There is a vast difference between Signing Central and the Bad Notary site. Ratings in Signing Central don't show up in a google search. I can understand the desire of signing services to have a rating system similar to Signing Central for their colleagues in the business. To go further and spread smears about notaries to the world at large is way over the line.

2. Signing services, title companis and lenders are all free to post in the NotRot forums, just as notaries are, and their posts generally are welcome for the insights they provide. Your posts, conversely, contain virtually no insights, just lots of insults. It has gotten tiresome. Please, follow the lead of other hiring parties and try to use this forum for positive input, not to vent your bile. If you have conducted your relations with notaries as you have with this forum, I can only assume that any one-star ratings were more than justified.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/31/13 10:53am
Msg #463878

Great post, Hugh. n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/30/13 9:29pm
Msg #463832

That's rich...

"I also know of some signing services that have created "blackballed" lists of NSAs that are being shared between some SS owners in response to some of the over-the-top, excessive and unfair comments posted in the forum."

You know, I'm totally okay with that because those are the companies I probably wouldn't work with anyway and are already on my no-no list.

I work with companies that respect my time and abilities...companies that don't call me crazy or greedy for doing a job that takes half my day when I have to travel 1-2+ hours each way and treat me as the professional that I am. In return they get the best possible work out of me and I bend over backwards for them.

That other site isn't meant to review or rate notaries. It's meant to retaliate and punish. It's abusive.

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/31/13 5:25pm
Msg #463907

Holy week and Easter has been

A blessing for me and my family here in Las Vegas,,
LOL

I'm going to recommend everybody take a break!

Reply by Stoli on 4/1/13 12:44am
Msg #463932

Brenda's best: Sockpuppet! What fun. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.