Notary Rotary
Recording deed services
Notary Discussion History

Recording deed services
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by ToniK on 3/29/13 11:52am
Msg #463673

Recording deed services

I was called this morning to record a deed that I notarized last night. They wanted me to drive early morning to my secondary county to record this deed for $50. I turned it down due to the extreme low fee for the distance and time spent.

Who has done this? How long does it take for this type of work? Can anyone record a deed?

Reply by sp/MI on 3/29/13 11:59am
Msg #463676

Yes, anyone can record a deed. Go to recording office, the clerk takes the paperwork and makes sure the correct items are there, stamps it ok, sends you down to cashier, you pay, she puts liber and page on paperwork, if there is a copy it's handed back to you and away you go. If something wrong with the doc, it will be returned to you. Keep your receipt.

Most of the time spent is driving, parking and getting to the office inside the court building. I have done this for $50, but I also did it when I had other things to do in the area and especially when I have more than one that needs recording. Oh, I also charged for the recording fee itself.... that did not come from my pocket. Check your local county and find out what the fees are for recording and keep nearby for when you get another call.... 'cause you will!

Reply by CopperheadVA on 3/29/13 12:40pm
Msg #463685

Toni, it can be a significant time commitment in your area, due to wait times at the various county offices in NOVA. Also, did the company provide checks to you made payable to the county for recording and transfer tax fees? There usually needs to be a cover page as well, specific to each county. I don't offer this service but a fellow VA notary used to do it for a TC he worked with. The county will reject your paperwork if everything is not the exact way they want it. Which means waste of your time.

Reply by ToniK on 3/29/13 1:03pm
Msg #463689

Yea they were gonna provide me with the fee to cover the recording. I just felt $50 was not worth my time to run to fairfax county. I'm in Loudoun county and live close to Loudoun courthouse. I wouldn't mind in my county but ugh traffic is a no!!!

Reply by CopperheadVA on 3/29/13 1:35pm
Msg #463691

Are you saying that they wanted you to write the check for the fees and they would reimburse you?

Reply by ToniK on 3/29/13 2:58pm
Msg #463701

No they were providing a check

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/29/13 12:52pm
Msg #463687

Anyone can record...but as was stated - the fee has to take into account the time that may be involved and you need to make sure they give you the money for recording fees and any conveyance fees that may be involved.

Also, if it were me (like I did when I did this once) make sure they understand that you're doing recording ONLY - you're not doing any bringdown from date of search to date of recording, including searching the "day book" - may sure they understand you're not going to update the title search (unless you are).

These are easy in my area

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 3/29/13 5:57pm
Msg #463717

Took DOT & Riders to a Title co. in PW to be recorded. The Hiring party was an escrow firm in another part of VA; when asked if I would record I declined - but said I'd courier docs after the signing. They found the Title co. and I made sure it was only a few minutes from the signing location before I agreed.

The ladies in the TItle office were very nice. I told them I would appreciate copies of the originals for the hiring party; they scanned for me (Paperless office and not one copier in sight!)

(I guess I could have contracted the services myself; will know next time if asked)

Reply by Jessica Ward on 3/29/13 10:42pm
Msg #463749

I do (very) occasionally.

In my county, the recording office is in a county building which has parking like 32 blocks away (perhaps a slight exaggeration) and you have to go through more security than most federal buildings to get in (not an exaggeration--as a former lobbyist, I'm savvy in this department). It's an hour minimum commitment.

In one case I did this for a client because they needed a certified copy of the recorded deed on the date of recording because for some reason the recording had been delayed and borrower was getting a 2nd mortgage or something wacky like that. Anyhow, a recording service wasn't allowed to get a certified copy on the day of recording, they'd have to wait until after it hit the digital records (at the time, a six-week backlog), so they had me walk it in, and record it and request the certified copy. I could do this, because I was the notary on record for the deed, and an original signer and therefore entitled to a copy (this may be a wacky just-in-my-county thing).

I told my client outright "I don't have the faintest idea of what to charge you for this, so I'm going to accept your fee, plus charge you $15 for parking, but know that depending on how this turns out, I might never do it again." They said "we totally understand."

But yes, there are recording services that do this all day every day, and may be a much better price for your clients depending on the circumstances on the recording.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.