Notary Rotary
Signature Affidavits
Notary Discussion History

Signature Affidavits
Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by David Munsey on 3/8/13 10:22am
Msg #460046

Signature Affidavits

I did a quick search through the posts on Signature Affidavits but I still have a quick question:

In the past, I have received sig affs which are simple and easy to complete, example:

Sue Bowling
Sue A Bowling
Sue Ann Bowling

and so forth with each name having its own adjacent signature line.

Recently I have been receiving (including today) sig affs which look like this:

Sue Bowling, Sue A. Bowling, Sue Ann Bowling

All variations on the same line with one adjacent signature line.

With the rules stating all names have to signed as typed; what are you guys doing for this?
Thanks for any help.

Reply by Luckydog on 3/8/13 10:26am
Msg #460047

Those are 2 different forms. One is an AKA Acknowledgement the other is a Signature Affidavit.

The AKA is signed only like it says on the signature line, she is just acknowledging those are her different names in her lifetime. Does not need to be signed out all ways.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/8/13 10:34am
Msg #460052

I now have them sign after those also even if there is not a line because a title company made me go back to the borrowers' house to have signed even though there wasn't a line. Have not had any complaints since doing it. Depending on how it looks.

Example: Jane A. Doe ___________________
Jane Doe ___________________
Jane Ann Doe ___________________ Have sign after each name
Jane A. Doe-Jones ___________________

Example 2:
Jane A. Doe _____________________
AKA
Jane Doe
Jane Ann Doe Have signed all ways even though not listed
Jane A. Doe-Jones after driving over hour each way because
T/C required per lenders instructions

Example 3:
Jane A. Doe ____________________ Sign
AKA
Jane Doe, Jane Ann Doe, Jane A. Jones-Doe Not signed if all on one or two lines

Reply by David Munsey on 3/8/13 10:38am
Msg #460056

JOJO

Example 3 is the type I have. The sig aff is separate on top and the the aka statement has everything on one line.

Thanks for the help all.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/8/13 10:53am
Msg #460059

If there are sample lines on the right side, even if their names are all written on one line on the left, I still would have each one signed on each line with each variation on the right side.

Example:
Jane A. Doe, Jane Doe, Jane Ann Doe, Jane A. Doe-Jones ___________________________
__________________________________ ___________________________ __________________________________ ____________ etc

My third example is when there is just a two inch section on the document that states something to the fact that they are also known as these names.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/8/13 10:27am
Msg #460048

Have them sign on the line on the right side exactly as printed on the left. Don't forget their signature at the top of the page if there is one. Many notaries miss that one. If there name is printed on a line below, have them signed there as printed also.

Reply by Pam/NM on 3/8/13 10:29am
Msg #460050

I have seen a couple of different types of Signature Affts and AKA Affts. If the one you are referring to for today's signing is the one that I think you have, the affiant is attesting to the fact that she, Sue A. Bowling (or whatever name is below the signature line and is the name she should use to sign) is one and the same as Sue Bowling and Sue Ann Bowling. There should be a signature line that shows the name on the DOT, with the other names not being signed. If this is the form I'm thinking you have. You should need only one signarue on that form.

Reply by David Munsey on 3/8/13 10:35am
Msg #460054

your right it is a signature affidavit and aka statement combined on one form.

The signature affidavit is the top and aka statement has "other optional names" on the lower half. The names are bunched on one line with the "sample signature" line on the right side. It was just so much easier to explain when they had each variation listed individually with "sample sig" next to it.

Reply by Stoli on 3/8/13 12:20pm
Msg #460076

Dave, is the document from Round Point? n/m

Reply by FTNOTARY on 3/8/13 2:16pm
Msg #460107

Have them sign the way it's written just like that with the commas. I notice that some of my docs are like that too.

Reply by Barb25 on 3/8/13 7:09pm
Msg #460159

Every lender is different and sometimes provide a different version of a name/signature affidavit. I don't think we should assume they don't know what they want by assisting and giving them more than they ask for. If they ask for signature of the variables give them the signatures. If not, do not. Do not assume they have not thought about it and you will provide it because you know better.

Variations with a signature line each ... simple of course. Provide a corresponding signature for each.

Sometimes they just want to say "Hey you could also be John H Jones, John Henry Jones, John Henry Jones Sr. (If none apply, you would state not so and initial) otherwise sign on the bottom. End of story. They don't want/need the signature.

I suppose it doesn't hurt but you are after all amending the lender forms when you do that. Best to ask if they want that done.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 3/9/13 2:16am
Msg #460192

I agree with Barb25. I've seen a bazillion different versions of this form. As with anything else, we need to use our best judgment (which is sometimes a challenge with some forms...) to comply with the wishes of the particular lender that created the specific document in question. We shouldn't over-interpret or try to extrapolate from what we've seen on other lender's forms. And we shouldn't assume that just because we've always seen things done a certain way by other lenders, that every one wants the same thing. This goes for title and escrow docs just as well.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/10/13 10:12pm
Msg #460470

I did just what you suggested a couple months ago and they sent me back out (over an hour each way) and made me have them sign on each line next to their printed name even though it wasn't requested on that sheet. They only had the one line with their names printed on it on the left side of page. No signature lines on right side.

They didn't pay me for the second trip either. Now I just have them sign after each name anyway.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.