Notary Rotary
So, I'm digesting this new rating site. It appears
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2013 Index

Posted by Belinda/CA on 3/28/13 4:08pm
Msg #463562

SigningStream and Loan-Closers.com are the only ones who have posted on the negative notary site so far. Them and Jeff Lowry, whoever that is.

I am curious -
How does that make you guys feel that work for them?
Does this concern you in any way?

How do you feel knowing any error can be blasted for the world to see and show up every single time someone googles your name or your notary services from now on? Do you know of a way to rebut the comments when these links pop up?

Some have said they think it is worth monitoring this new site (badnotary.com), and not working for those companies utilizing it because of negative possibilities and ramifications? What do you think?

Just asking. I am curious what people who have thought this through are thinking.

Or, do you guys feel this is a worthwhile site that will benefit the industry?

Is it possible SigningStream, Loan-Closers.com and Jeff Lowry will have a very difficult time finding notaries to work for them from now on once word gets out?

What are you thinking? Share your thoughts.

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 3/28/13 4:22pm
Msg #463568

I wouldn't have worked for either company anyway...

and I sure won't now. I'm no lawyer, but I'm thinking there has to be some legal recourse for those people named on that site. It's a disgrace.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/28/13 4:24pm
Msg #463570

I surely hope everyone avoids these companies

like the plague they are. Quite a few years ago, I worked for one of 'em a few times and would have probably accepted another signing. (Must have parted ways due to lowering of fees as my records show they paid timely.) After seeing the new site they participate in---ain't no way I'd accept a signing from them now because the site is not helpful to anyone and is just pure evil and an indication of how their minds really work. Sad.

Reply by Teebs on 3/28/13 4:33pm
Msg #463571

As terrible as I feel for the names listed, I am glad that this was brought to our attention, as now I know NOT to engage in any business with them. Like you said, if you make a mistake (and according to the people listed, the complaints are either exaggerated/untrue altogether) they can publish it without any kind of rebuttal/recourse yet known. I hope that the named persons get some kind of recourse, as I also feel that the complaints are more childish and anger fueled, than informative and professional. That is not a company I would want to do business with. I have added (3) more names/companies to my "No Thank You" list.....

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/28/13 4:39pm
Msg #463573

Here's what bothers me about that site. It's not a site meant to actually "review" or "rate" a notary's performance - it's about tearing them down in the most negative way possible. There is no room for positive comments at all. The who premise is retaliatory in nature. Just reading their "about" section says it all. It was created by a signing service (or group of services) that are ticked off that notaries post negative comments about them online, and they are defensive about it. Let's face it, we all know, as notaries, that a lot of these services deserve the criticism.

I think any good lawyer could have a field day over it. There is so much wrong with that site, it's appalling.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/28/13 4:45pm
Msg #463575

I meant to also add.... that with all that said, we also know that there ARE a lot of "bad" notaries out there. Many of us have witnessed it first hand, even been called to clean up their messes. Many of them make really, really poor decisions and do things we just shake our heads at.

BUT... there's a fine line between accurate, fact-filled reviews (both positive and negative) and nasty, retaliatory comments meant to harm somebody's reputation.

Reply by LisaWI on 3/28/13 4:53pm
Msg #463577

Very well said Marian and I agree.......the pendulum needs to swing both ways.......

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/28/13 4:54pm
Msg #463578

Well I know of Keegan and he is not a bad notary so

this site is definitely full of being vindictive and who ever came up with it...recess in OVER!

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 3/28/13 5:06pm
Msg #463580

I don't like it , BUT, think about some Signing Services or

title cos, would react (NOT directed to any notroter in particular) when someone here posts something like.: I give them one star, ---I had to print and few extra pages and they would not increase my fee.. Or I did not know that I need to fax back 10 pages and then drop dox the next day, and they would not adjust my fee.. Or They told me I would get paid in 3o days,
The check did not arrive until 34 days following the signing or. They offered me only $90 for a local signing. . that is below my minimum. etc... etc.. etc..
That is another reason why I disagree with those who say. "Never work for a company with less than (eg. ) 3 stars.
The star rating systyem is a valuable tool, but it is still only a tool. You need to make your own evaluation based on all avialable resources.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 3/28/13 5:08pm
Msg #463581

Re: I don't like it....So true - Bob. n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/28/13 5:10pm
Msg #463582

Re: I don't like it , BUT, think about some Signing Services or

Yeah, you can't just look at the number of stars. You have to read the comments.

ON the flip side, there are some 4-5 star companies in SC that aren't really 4-5 star companies... they artificially inflate their rating through various means... including promising "More work" to notaries who post positive reviews. I think we can see the transparency in that type of behavior.

Reply by Rita Adu on 3/28/13 5:18pm
Msg #463583

Wonder What Their Clients Would Think......

If they knew that these Signing Companies were posting to this site. I agree that there are simply some "bad" notaries out there, but like it was mentioned earlier, the site's name "BADNOTARY.COM" let's you know why they're there. If I were a Lender or a Title Company, I would not like anyone I contracted with to be a part of such venom. It makes EVERYONE look bad. We need as much good energy around our business is possible. I've never worked for either of these companies, and now I would not do so for fear of getting on this "list". I think they did themselves a disservice here.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 3/28/13 5:19pm
Msg #463584

There is a difference Bob.

Not only do some of the SS actually post their own 5 star posts in SC (which I disagree with, but that's another issue), any SS has the right to address any posts here on the Work Board openly. That's the largest difference.

A few times when that has been done, people have sided with the SS on the original issue that was posted because the NSA was the one in the wrong.

As far as not receiving payment on time, if they can't pay as agreed, they should attempt to make other arrangements prior to the signing with the NSA, or pay as agreed. You know good and well that if a company agrees to Net 30 payment terms, that payment received in 84 days is worth reporting.

You are correct when you say that the rating system is a valuable tool and that it is only a tool. Even 4+ star rated companies that have been around for years have been shown to take a year, or longer, before the reports of slow/non-payments begin to bring down their ratings. Watching for trends is just as important as the overall ratings, imo. A company that is trying to correct past problems may very well be one that has a trend of really good ratings lately that take a while for their overall ratings to improve if they have been around for years as well.

Reply by Bear900/CA on 3/28/13 5:58pm
Msg #463586

Fair Comment or Libel? – You decide

That can be true on both sides. Here are the definitions for both.

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/F/FairComment.aspx

http://www.chillingeffects.org/defamation/faq.cgi#QID716

I do feel that accusing a notary, or anyone, of being drunk by evidence of phone conversation, even if true, is not wise. What if she was off her medication, or having some other heath or stress related problem? Was there a sobriety test involved? Publishing such comment as fact in a permanent media (even if the site is taken down) has already caused some permanent damage.

Reply by CinOH on 3/28/13 6:02pm
Msg #463587

I haven't visited the site and won't. Based on what I've read about what is posted there, I don't think it will be around long. Someone is bound to sue and have papers served on Godaddy to remove the defamatory comments.

There is so much vitriol between signing agents and signing services. Seems like a lot of time is being spent on blasting each other and nothing is really improving either way. And there is a lot of room for improvement on both sides.

Signing Services need to realize that you get what you pay for. If you want the cheapest person out there, so be it. But don't order lemonade and expect it to taste like champagne. It's not going to. Stop telling lenders and title companies that you can get loans signed for $125 knowing full well you intend to keep half that fee. Experienced, knowledgeable people are not going to print two sets of documents (and package sizes are growing, not shrinking), travel, and sit at the table for 45 minutes to an hour for $75. They can't afford to! That fee is not even covering expenses, let alone allowing one to make a profit to live on. You are the one opening the door for a poor service to the lender, borrower, and yourself when you hire dirt cheap, inexperienced people. Starting a revenge site is not going to change anything. The experienced people who can get the job done right the first time still are not going to work for $75. So, if you get rid of the cheap notaries by blasting them online and running them out of business, you're really putting yourself out of business because of your own business model.

It's interesting that just two companies are posting to that site from what's being reported here. Why are those two companies hiring so many "bad notaries?" That's the question the owners/operators should be asking themselves. You're picking these people, so what does that say about you?

I don't work for many signing services. I just don't care to split my fee, wait an inordinate amount of time to be paid, or deal with all the hoops. The ones I do work for are run by professional, fair, and honest people that I've built a relationship with over several years.

I say "no" to more calls than I say "yes" to. I know everyone may not be able to do that and I understand. However, notaries should spend a lot more time finding good companies, building good relationships with them, and increasing your knowledge and skills, rather than saying yes to every call that comes your way HOPING you get paid. Take control of your business. You don't have to take every call that comes your way and you probably shouldn't.

Learn the notary laws in your state forward and backward and follow them, learn solid signing principles, and develop good business acumen. You'll save yourself, and others, a lot of headaches. Become a good notary, work for good companies and you won't have to worry about bad notary sites or bad signing services because you'll never come into contact with the sort of people who are vindictive and unprofessional like the ones who started that site.

Reply by CinOH on 3/28/13 6:08pm
Msg #463588

And I'm not suggesting everyone they've given a negative review to did anything wrong or accepted a $75 fee.

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 3/28/13 6:50pm
Msg #463595

LIKE x1000! 100% agree! n/m

Reply by Buddy Young on 3/28/13 7:44pm
Msg #463603

It looks like A notary could do 100 error free signings and the make 1 mistake and be added to this list. That's unfair.

Reply by BrendaTx on 3/28/13 8:22pm
Msg #463607

I love it! ROFLMAO.

What a bunch of short-sighted people to post such subjective insults.

Oh, wait until Cari goes all Flesh-Eating-Zombie on them. I have to go to bed early tonight. Someone text me when the virtual blood is running like a river.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 3/28/13 8:28pm
Msg #463610

If she hasn't seen it yet it's too late...the posts

are all now signed as submitted by "Signing Agency or Title Company" - that's it.. Smile

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 3/28/13 9:25pm
Msg #463619

Re: If she hasn't seen it yet it's too late...the posts

Ooooh, that's interesting. That shows that whoever is running the site is making updates.... but they still are NOT publishing the rebuttals/comments.

I have a feeling the site won't be up too long once some lawyers get their hands on it.

Reply by jojo_MN on 3/28/13 9:32pm
Msg #463620

Click on the picture next to the words, it shows who posted n/m

Reply by aanotary on 3/28/13 11:09pm
Msg #463628

THIS site was shut down once before.

it was hosted by a different company. A number of notaries complained & got this site shut down. ( Same name - badnotary.com) I bet if you use the orange search button you will see the old posts.

Reply by Karen Maxwell-Cervantes on 3/28/13 11:42pm
Msg #463631

Those of us who are GoDaddy clients should contact them

I think any notary who does business with GoDaddy should contact them, I can always move to someone else. They will be hearing from me.

Reply by hodgy on 3/29/13 6:32am
Msg #463644

Here is the domain registry info (fax/phone/email)

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: BADNOTARY.COM
Created on: 14-Mar-13
Expires on: 14-Mar-14
Last Updated on: 14-Mar-13

Registrant:
Domains By Proxy, LLC

DomainsByProxy.com
14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration [e-mail address]
Domains By Proxy, LLC
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration [e-mail address]
Domains By Proxy, LLC
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 3/29/13 8:59am
Msg #463649

Re: THIS site was shut down once before.

I remember that site being shut down. I forget who owned it then.

But, reputable companies are not going to pay attention to Badnotary.com. When I had my own signing agency I would have avoided that kind of site like the plague. I always found my notaries here on Notary Rotary. Loan-closers.com and Signing Stream have a bad reputation and you all need to stay away from them.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 3/29/13 9:34am
Msg #463654

Site won't last long, however, the damage to these

notaries could be huge. Every time their name is Googled BAD NOTARY shows up two or three down. Sometimes over and over and over again for pages. It is more than the site itself, it is the cyber roots that harm even worse. That is another reason it is apparent they want to damage these notaries.

A person does not have to seek out the site to read the negative comments about the notaries. Google their name and it is in your face: this is a BAD NOTARY.

Reply by Notarysigner on 3/29/13 6:51am
Msg #463645

I know she was supposed to have surgery but haven't

spoken with her......she will take care of it!

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 3/29/13 10:44am
Msg #463658

Okay folks, my name is on this site, and I've NO idea who n/m

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 3/29/13 10:46am
Msg #463659

Re: Okay folks, my name is on this site, and I've NO idea

who this mudderflucker is! I've never worked for any of those agencies of that guy.

But rest assured, and those that know me on this forum, I'm a bulldog and will soon get to the bottom of this shit.

I've already called an attorney.

......to be continued.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 3/29/13 12:07pm
Msg #463678

OBVIOUS LIBELOUS INFORMATION, UNTRUE AND I'M FKN PISSED!

Excuse the bold, don't need to hear from the "etiquette police" here on NotRot, but what was posted about me (name spelled wrong too, lol) is an obvious fabrication and untruth.

WAIT TILL I GET MY HANDS ON THE LOW DOWN SCUM BAG [e-mail address].

If you're out there buddy, I'd be seriously thinking about taking my name off that site!

If the owners of that ridiculous site is reading, you best have a good lawyer, because like the old west, I'm joining the bandwagon in the lawsuit that will string your a$$ up!

Don't mess with @ChiTownNotary

Reply by Eric Andrist on 3/29/13 2:40pm
Msg #463697

Re: OBVIOUS LIBELOUS INFORMATION, UNTRUE AND I'M FKN PISSED!

I'm on there too, was thinking about finding a lawyer. Let me know what you find out.

Reply by Eric Andrist on 3/29/13 2:41pm
Msg #463699

Re: Update

So now it appears that they are hiding the names of the signing companies that file the complaints. On top of that, I signed up and wrote a rebuttal yesterday which never appeared. Now when I try to sign into the account I created, it says:

"Registration is available for Signing Companies, Title/Escrow Firms, or Mortgage Lenders ONLY."

So they're not even going to let the notaries they slam, write a rebuttal!

Reply by FormerEO on 3/29/13 8:48pm
Msg #463740

So now you know how signing services feel when you folks run down their ratings (often wrongly) and they have no recourse to respond to bad ratings in the signing central area. there are two sides to every story.

This site offers no ability for services to respond to bad ratings and the shoe seems to be on the other foot now. To borrow from the movie Good Will Hunting, "How do you like them apples?"

You know what they say, "What goes around, comes around."

Reply by MistarellaFL on 3/30/13 1:34am
Msg #463755

Why are you here, FormerEO, at the site for

Professional Notaries?
Take your SS opinions where they ARE wanted. You contribution here is trite.
It would seem that your opinions belong on the notary bashing site...you are here as nothing but a notary-basher.
Shape up or ship out.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.